Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Leopard (Panthera pardus) interactions with Spotted Hyena (Crocuta crocuta)
Quote:Ofc a lion can kill a hyena if they want too, but there are meny videos where several lionesses attack and are unable to kill a hyena. If a lion or lioness really wanted to kill a leopard they would. But the reason hyenas and leopards often survives attacks from lions is because hyenas are durable and leopards are good at defending themselves, and can injure a lions sight and give them nasty cuts. But if a lion was determined to kill one they would!  

That leopard and hyena was just a fight, probably happens all the time. Hyenas and leopards are so equal that it depends on on the individuals of both species who would come out on top. So a large male leopard and a large dominant female hyena can go both ways.

I see that you are a fan of hyenas. I don't want to argue with you, lioness and leopard can easily kill a any hyena. Don't forget that lynx killed adult male grey wolf in real fight. Do not forget about censorship.....
(01-09-2019, 04:58 AM)Forbiddenip Wrote:
Quote:Ofc a lion can kill a hyena if they want too, but there are meny videos where several lionesses attack and are unable to kill a hyena. If a lion or lioness really wanted to kill a leopard they would. But the reason hyenas and leopards often survives attacks from lions is because hyenas are durable and leopards are good at defending themselves, and can injure a lions sight and give them nasty cuts. But if a lion was determined to kill one they would!  

That leopard and hyena was just a fight, probably happens all the time. Hyenas and leopards are so equal that it depends on on the individuals of both species who would come out on top. So a large male leopard and a large dominant female hyena can go both ways.

I see that you are a fan of hyenas. I don't want to argue with you, lioness and leopard can easily kill a any hyena. Don't forget that lynx killed adult male grey wolf in real fight. Do not forget about censorship.....

First of all censorship? Why because I write and debate very respectfully? And no you are incorrect I'm not a hyena fan, I do actually prefer lions and leopards more. But I'm not one sided and I appreciate all these animals. You are the fanatic here thinking a leopard can kill any hyena easily.. spotted hyenas and wolves are two totally different animals.

And why this aggressive attitude? That's not healthy at any place or forum. Can't people disagree about things without being accused of something. I said a hyena has survived lion attacks, go on YouTube and watch, I can prove it with several cases. I also didn't say a lioness can't kill a hyena, because I know very well they can. I also said a leopard and hyena was about equal and it's hard to say who would win. 

So I would suggest you stop with making accusations, and start to behave differently so that you can actually have a real conversation with other posters,
Leopards kills hyenas. But youtube does not show all videos. Youtube will not show it. I didn't see leopard that kills awd but that doesn't mean that leopard can't kill awd. I'm sick of seeing humans who think that youtube is all that happens in the wildlife.
[Image: 1vnI2Cq.jpg]
[Image: 1i5ShjX.jpg]
[Image: HHfkYeZ.jpg]
Isn't that the same Hyena that survived the attack and walked away when the Leopard was gone?
(01-09-2019, 08:17 AM)Ryo Wrote: Isn't that the same Hyena that survived the attack and walked away when the Leopard was gone?

The leopard got hold of it until it stopped showing signs of life. Turned out it was unconscious. After 10 minutes it recovered from the attack.

To be fair, whenever there is a physical conflict, the leopard usually dominates the hyena. It just depends if the leopard is determined enough to fend off the hyena. But that's always risky so the leopard usually either shares or abandons its kill.
                                                 [Image: giphy.gif]
(01-09-2019, 08:17 AM)Ryo Wrote: Isn't that the same Hyena that survived the attack and walked away when the Leopard was gone?

It doesn't tell me anything. Lucky hyena

(01-09-2019, 07:25 AM)Forbiddenip Wrote: Leopards kills hyenas. But youtube does not show all videos. Youtube will not show it. I didn't see leopard that kills awd but that doesn't mean that leopard can't kill awd. I'm sick of seeing humans who think that youtube is all that happens in the wildlife.
[Image: 1vnI2Cq.jpg]
[Image: 1i5ShjX.jpg]
[Image: HHfkYeZ.jpg]

One incident, where the Hyena actually survives is not a good example either. 
And ofc a leopard can win a battle with a hyena. I never said it couldn’t, but do you know the gender, age and rank of this hyena? No you don’t. This hyena looks smaller than the leopard, and then I would also give an edge to the leopard. I only said with two large induviduals from both species would I say 50/50. 

I also never said YouTube is the answer to everything, but you could go check out several lionesses attacking a Hyena, and with they hyena surviving? That is all I said. 
You are to angry, stop with the acussing and go watch some videos of hyenas. Then you will appriciate how tough they are too. I was just like you when I started watching animals, where I thought a leopard would destroy a Hyena, but the Hyena has surprised me over the years and I have learned to respect it a lot..
Male leopard successfully fending off a hyena. Notice how he has to recover after making the kill. After recovering, he continuously chases off the hyena. The hyena eventually starts calling for backup (@1:50).

This is how it usually goes by the way. Dominant males will defend their kill against a single hyena, sometimes it will stand its ground against multiple hyenas. Young males and females are the more cautious ones.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Quote:One incident, where the Hyena actually survives is not a good example either.

(This is not the only case. Leopards killed adult hyenas from time to time. Hyenas were often killed by lions)

Do not confuse daily reality with youtube. There is nothing in youtube. That is just a drop in the ocean.

Leopard killed two hyenas:

[Image: QrUVRFU.jpg]
Interaction of striped hyena and leopard

Interspecific interactions are crucial for community composition since they govern 
species distribution, abundance and broadly species coexistence. Interspecific in-
teractions among carnivores have been well studied in India. However, these were 
limited to a few species only and direct observations are rare. Studies on interspeci-
fic interaction between two sympatric carnivores such as leopard and striped hyena 
with a wide distribution range throughout peninsular India are rare. We report two in-
stances of interactions between leopard Panthera pardus and striped hyena Hyaena 
hyaena. In one instance, a leopard and a striped hyena were photographed feeding 
together on an adult nilgai Boselaphus tragocamelus kill of a tigress Panthera tigris
We have also recorded a breeding female leopard that killed a striped hyena (sub-
adult female) at a den site. We report here photographic evidence on these interac-
tions between leopard and striped hyena for the first time.

Kleptoparasitism has been reported in leo-
pards. However, striped hyena and leopard 
feeding together has been recorded for the 
first time to our knowledge. We continued 
camera trapping for a few days and searched 
for any evidence of aggressive interaction, 
but we did not find anything. Later the ti-
gress came back to the kill and consumed it 
(Fig. 1b). 

[Image: 7oCgQEA.jpg][Image: 3JGbpIt.jpg]

In another incident, a leopard with two cubs 
killed a striped hyena in Sariska Tiger Re-
serve on 24 December 2014. The killed hye-
na was from a breeding clan. The clan con-
sisted of a breeding female, two sub-adult 
helpers and three pups. Sub-adult striped 
hyenas babysit for their mother at dens and 
ensure the survival of young pups (Jhala 
2013). They can be fatal for young leopards.  
Their den site was inside the leopard’s home 
range. The leopard detected the den and la-
ter killed the helper striped hyena possibly to 
protect her cubs from any potential danger 
(Fig. 2a, b & SOM F2). We found the carcass 
of the striped hyena next to the den. Initial ex-
amination of bite marks and indirect evidence 
such as pugmarks revealed that the hyena 
was killed by a leopard. However, the carcass 
was left untouched. Consequently, the clan 
left the den site after the loss of the female 
sub-adult helper hyena.