Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interspecific Conflict in Art, Culture, and Literature
Provide sources please!

[Image: b8e62aa3959e457d27a51e12a08598e9--a-lion...oneill.jpg]
Eugene Delacroix - Fight Between a Lion and Tiger, 1863 at Oskar Reinhart Collection Winterthur Switzerland

[Image: http%3A%2F%2Fnrs.harvard.edu%2Furn-3%3AH...ght%3D3000]
A Rhinoceros Fighting An Elephant, Antonio Tempesta, Italian (Florence, Italy 1555 - 1630 Rome, Italy) 

[Image: csm_Lempertz-1065-231-The-Berlin-Sale-Pa...10d13a.jpg]

Paul Friedrich Meyerheim,1842 Berlin - 1915 Berlin, Arena with Elephants, Lions and Leopards

And of course, the nursery rhyme which uses a lion and a unicorn as propaganda to symbolise the relationship between Scotland and England
Quote:The lion and the unicorn
Were fighting for the crown
The lion beat the unicorn
All around the town.
Some gave them white bread,
And some gave them brown;
Some gave them plum cake
and drummed them out of town.

I wonder if there's any cases of lion/tiger art/imagery/literature used to symbolise England and India?
[-] The following 2 users Like ScottishWildcat's post:
  • Claudiu Constantin Nicolaescu, Taipan
[Image: DeathBattleofaBuffaloandGrizzlyBear.jpg?...0&fit=clip]
[Image: tumblr_inline_pc9a0oenV21rxvbcd_540.gif]
From "Rhinoceros," by Kelly Enright, part of the Reaktion book series. Information on the fantasized enmity of elephants and rhinos

Quote:'ENEMIE BY NATURE': THE LISBON RHINOCEROS

Greek audiences were long familiar with elephants and Pliny took the fellow pachyderm as his point of comparison when he viewed the rhino. While the skin and build is similar, he said, there is nothing in the natural world more oposed than their natures. The elephant was 'the greatest, and commeth nearest in wit and capacitie, to men', he wrote, explaining that it understands languages and commands, is easily trained, and 'take a pleasure an delight both in love and also in glorie'.

In contrast, Pliny's rhinoceros was either not willing or too boorish to be trained, and 'is a second enemie by nature to the Elephant'. 'He fileth that horne of his against hard stones', claimed Pliny, 'and maketh it sharpe against he should fight.' When matched with the elephant, the rhinoceros 'layeth principally at his bellie, which he knoweth to be more teder than the rest'. Plotting, conniving and underhanded (or underhorned), Pliny's perception of the rhinoceros was not a flattering one. If the elephant as a noble creature akin to Greek men, it seems the rhinoceros represented the savagery of their unenlightened enemies

Pliny did not describe actually observing this supposed battle of elephant and rhino. The origins of the rivalry seem to lie in a Persian myth that told of the one-horned Karkadann. Feared by all other animals, this creature lived in isolation. The elephant, not having yet heard of Karkadann's bad temper, approached him. When the two animals first set eyes on each other, there arose an instant instinctual hatred.

As the tale continued, the elephant flapped its ears and bellowed from its trunk while the karkadann stomped the ground and rubbed its horn on a nearby rock. The two animals charged twoards each other. As the elephant's tusks moved towards the karkadann, it ducked. Surprised by this movie, the elephant reared on its hind legs, leaving its stoumach vulnerable. The karkadann took advantage and pierced it with its horn. Mortally wounded, the elephant fell upon the ground on top of its killer. Weakened from thrashing about trying to get free, and blinded by elephant blood and fat dripping into its eyes, the karkadann gave up and lay down. Just then a huge bird swooped down and lifted the two creatures together, placing them in her nest where her babies fed on their flesh.

In ancient Rome five days of animal shows were held in the Circus Maximus. Hundreds of thousands gathered to look down upon artificially rendered landscapes within the stadium consisting of hills, streams and forests in which an and beast were set loose. Along with lions and leopards, rhinoceroses were viewed, impressing all with their 'noble demise'. Having heard tales of the elephant-rhino duel, they matched the two in battle, but it seems nothing happened - or at least nothing worth preserving in the written record.

When a rhinoceros was imported for the first time in over a millenium one of the first desires of its owners was to test the supposed elephant-rhino animosity. As a gift, Muzafar II, ruler of Gujarat in India, had sent an Indian rhinoceros to Alfonso d'Albuquerque (the govenor of Portugal's Indian territories). who then presented it to his superior, King Manuel. On 3 June 1515 the king set the rhinoceros and an elephant loose in a ring in Lisbon. In the dullest of anticlimaxes, both animals avoided each other, wandering to opposite ends of the arena.
(08-17-2018, 07:29 AM)Aztec Wrote: [Image: DeathBattleofaBuffaloandGrizzlyBear.jpg?...0&fit=clip] I have seen this picture before.
Grizzly bears were 85% carnivorous until most of their prey were shot to extinction.
Art by Vadim Gorbatov

[Image: VGAP012_Grasp.jpg]

[Image: 8b1002571a811fcb0153059947a99c13.jpg]

[Image: 08.jpg]

[Image: VGAP015_Tzar_Falconer.jpg]

[Image: VG06_Old-Hunter.jpg]

[Image: nt9l9tfks8dz.jpg]
[Image: 1nKsIij.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fair Whisper's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
[Image: UNhLuX9.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Forbiddenip's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
The bison looks wounded but is still standing and strong in the picture.
[Image: concavenator_vs__aucasaurus_by_moricemon...6o572j.jpg]

Any probable inaccuracies aside, I love this. Evident use of teeth and claws - on both hands and feet -, no less.
[Image: 9wf8nho.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ausar's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
Fleet-footed Russian woldhounds doing their thing

Tikhmenev (1904) Wolf hunt with borzois
[Image: c7d74399bb2bee831707059d248c77c9.jpg]

Evgenii Tikhmenev (1869-1934) wolf hunting with brozois
[Image: 2016_CKS_11996_0078_000(evgenii_tikhmene...rzois).jpg]

Degtev, Alexander - Borzois Hunting Wolf
[Image: 143cb8b4aa2c707d7d3ccb03b39e4351.png]

Teliman, Kristi - Two Borzoi Hunting Wolf 
[Image: 90891cc9799c5335a5046c40f453a0a7.png]
  • ScottishWildcat
Battle from the western frontier.

[Image: bull-fighting-against-a-buffalo-CWTXY0.jpg]
  • ScottishWildcat
George Stubb's (1724–1806) many depictions of a horse being attacked by a lion:

[Image: Horse-Frightened-by-a-Lion-George-Stubbs...inting.jpg]

[Image: T02058_10.jpg]

[Image: retrieve.php?size=1280&type=image&vernonID=4393]

[Image: 1-a-horse-affrighted-by-a-lion-george-stubbs.jpg]

[Image: u-g-PG53TW0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0]
[-] The following 3 users Like Fair Whisper's post:
  • Mondas, ScottishWildcat, theGrackle
^ for many years, Stubbs' vivid depictions were regarded as 'fanciful' by naturalists who 'knew' that lions
always kept their hind feet on the ground when attacking, but as video evidence shows, they do indeed leap up.
I wonder there was any kind of symbolism/significance to the horse/lion motif? My personal favourite of these is the fourth one!

(I googled it and apparently the artist basically thought it was cool, which like, fair enough)
(02-08-2019, 10:20 AM)ScottishWildcat Wrote: I wonder there was any kind of symbolism/significance to the horse/lion motif? My personal favourite of these is the fourth one!

(I googled it and apparently the artist basically thought it was cool, which like, fair enough)

The guy apparently drew and painted lions attacking horses for thirty years! I can’t seem to find any particular reason. I think the fact that he likes the animals and wanted to show off his ability to depict dramatic poses is more than enough. People have speculated, but to no avail. 

Quote:Stubbs's interest in the subject is traditionally presumed to originate from a scene he reportedly witnessed in North Africa during his return by sea from Italy. The incident, however, is probably apocryphal, and was largely disproven with the reappearance of Horse Devoured by a Lion, which is strikingly similar to a Roman copy of a Greek sculpture group that Stubbs almost certainly saw at the Palazzo Dei Conservatori in Rome in 1754.
https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/stu...ion-t02058

My personal favorite is the third one. I love how tight their poses are and how much they pop from the background.
  • ScottishWildcat