Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Common Raccoon
100.00%
4 100.00%
Rhesus Macaque
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Common Raccoon v Rhesus Macaque
Common Raccoon - Procyon lotor
The raccoon, Procyon lotor (sometimes spelled as 'racoon'), also known as the common raccoon, North American raccoon, northern raccoon and colloquially as coon, is a medium-sized mammal native to North America. he body weight of an adult raccoon varies considerably with habitat; it can range from 2 to 14 kilograms (4 to 30 lb), but is usually between 3.5 and 9 kilograms (8 and 20 lb). The smallest specimens are found in Southern Florida, while those near the northern limits of the raccoon's range tend to be the largest. Males are usually 15 to 20% heavier than females. At the beginning of winter, a raccoon can weigh twice as much as in spring because of fat storage. It is one of the most variably sized of all mammals. The largest recorded wild raccoon weighed 28.4 kg (62.6 lb) and measured 140 cm (55 in) in total length, by far the largest size recorded for a procyonid. The raccoon is usually nocturnal and is omnivorous, with a diet consisting of about 40% invertebrates, 33% plant foods, and 27% vertebrates. It has a grayish coat, of which almost 90% is dense underfur, which insulates against cold weather. Two of its most distinctive features are its extremely dexterous front paws and its facial mask, which are themes in the mythology of several Native American tribes. Raccoons are noted for their intelligence, with studies showing that they are able to remember the solution to tasks up to three years later.

[Image: Northern-raccoon-running.jpg]

Rhesus Macaque - Macaca mulatta
The Rhesus macaque (Macaca mulatta), also called the Rhesus monkey, is one of the best-known species of Old World monkeys. It is listed as Least Concern in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species in view of its wide distribution, presumed large population, and its tolerance of a broad range of habitats. Native to South, Central and Southeast Asia, troops of Macaca mulatta inhabit a great variety of habitats from grasslands to arid and forested areas, but also close to human settlements. Rhesus macaques are native to northern India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Burma, Thailand, Afghanistan, Vietnam, southern China, and some neighboring areas. The Rhesus monkey has the widest geographic ranges of any nonhuman primate, occupying a great diversity of altitudes throughout Central, South and Southeast Asia. Inhabiting arid, open areas, Rhesus macaques may be found in grasslands, woodlands and in mountainous regions up to 2,500 m (8,200 ft) in elevation. The Rhesus macaque is brown or grey in color and has a pink face, which is bereft of fur. Its tail is of medium length and averages between 20.7 and 22.9 cm (8.1 and 9.0 in). Adult males measure approximately 53 cm (21 in) on average and weigh about 7.7 kg (17 lb). Females are smaller, averaging 47 cm (19 in) in length and 5.3 kg (12 lb) in weight. Rhesus macaques have on average 50 vertebrae. Their intermembral index (ratio of arms to legs) is 89%. They have dorsal scapula and a wide rib cage.

[Image: photo.jpg]

(12-06-2018, 07:52 PM)StripeyTail101 Wrote: Not sure if this would be a mismatch or not buuuuut..

Raccoon Vs Rhesus Monkey
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
I favor the raccoon.
It's got the weight advantage, and probably the better weaponry. It also looks to be more heavily built, so that should help it at least a bit with taking damage. To be fair, rhesus monkeys are feisty as well, and this one won't go down easily, but I see a victory for the raccoon due to size and weaponry.
Thanks Taipan!

I think this is a little fairer than serval vs monkey since raccoons don't have as strong of a bite force as servals (at least to my knowledge). Still my vote goes to the raccoon because of its size and tenacity though the monkey won't go down so easily.
As much as the Macaque has better canines, the Raccoon is a more complete and tougher fighter. Simply put, the Raccoon is not going down before the Monkey.

[Image: JtePhzR.jpg]

Racoons are tough critters and have strong forearms too. The monkey also has weaponary o its own but the racoon has additional weapons which are claws and thicker skin.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=61]
A blue(Sapphire) fire hawk from planet Sapphire.
I can't imagine them fighting to death(both species are actually really cute), but I think that the raccoon would win at maximal size.
[Image: 1200px-Cryolophosaurus_skeleton_mount_FMNH.jpg]
Most fights in the wild generally do not fight to death.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=61]
A blue(Sapphire) fire hawk from planet Sapphire.