Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Indian Leopard
50.00%
5 50.00%
Giant Panda
50.00%
5 50.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indian Leopard v Giant Panda
Indian Leopard - Panthera pardus fusca
The Indian leopard (Panthera pardus fusca) is a leopard subspecies widely distributed on the Indian subcontinent. The species Panthera pardus is listed as Vulnerable on the IUCN Red List because populations have declined following habitat loss and fragmentation, poaching for the illegal trade of skins and body parts, and persecution due to conflict situations. The Indian leopard is one of the big cats occurring on the Indian subcontinent, apart from the Asiatic lion, Bengal tiger, snow leopard and clouded leopard. Male Indian leopards grow to between 4 ft 2 in (127 cm) and 4 ft 8 in (142 cm) in body size with a 2 ft 6 in (76 cm) to 3 ft (91 cm) long tail and weigh between 110 and 170 lb (50 and 77 kg). Females are smaller, growing to between 3 ft 5 in (104 cm) and 3 ft 10 in (117 cm) in body size with a 2 ft 6 in (76 cm) to 2 ft 10.5 in (87.6 cm) long tail, and weigh between 64 and 75 lb (29 and 34 kg). Sexually dimorphic, males are larger and heavier than females. The leopard is a versatile, opportunistic hunter, and has a very broad diet. It is able to take large prey due to its massive skull and powerful jaw muscles. In Sariska Tiger Reserve, the dietary spectrum of the Indian leopard includes axis deer, sambar deer, nilgai, wild boar, common langur, Indian hare and peafowl. In Periyar Tiger Reserve, primates make up a large proportion of its diet.

[Image: 640px-Leopard_Male_Nagarhole.jpg]

Giant Panda - Ailuropoda melanoleuca
The giant panda, or panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca, literally meaning "black and white cat-foot") is a bear native to central-western and south western China. It is easily recognized by its large, distinctive black patches around the eyes, over the ears, and across its round body. Though it belongs to the order Carnivora, the panda's diet is 99% bamboo. Pandas in the wild will occasionally eat other grasses, wild tubers, or even meat in the form of birds, rodents or carrion. In captivity they may receive honey, eggs, fish, yams, shrub leaves, oranges, or bananas along with specially prepared feed. The giant panda lives in a few mountain ranges in central China, mainly in Sichuan province, but also in the Shaanxi and Gansu provinces. The giant panda has a black-and-white coat. Adults measure around 1.2 to 1.8 meters (4 to 6 ft) long, including a tail of about 13 cm (5.1 in), and 60 to 90 centimeters (1 ft 10 in to 2 ft 10 in) tall at the shoulder. Males can weigh up to 160 kilograms (350 lb). Females (generally 10–20% smaller than males) can weigh as little as 75 kg (170 lb) but can also weigh up to 125 kilograms (280 lb). Average adult weight is 100 to 115 kilograms (220 to 250 lb).

[Image: photo.jpg]

(02-12-2019, 02:01 AM)Shenzi Wrote: Indian leopard vs giant panda
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
I see the panda as a very big animal so that the leopard can beat him in hand-to-hand combat, the leopard has the disadvantage; the only way you see a leopard kill a panda is to attack it on its back after stalking it.

In Wolong Reserve, Sichuan, China, between 1981 and 1983, 168 faeces were analyzed, with only 0.6%, the giant panda appeared, which was juvenile.

[Image: N5Rspm8.png]

the text said the following:
Although leopards occasionally consumed young giant pandas, they were a small component (0.6%) of the diet. Investigations of food habits of leopards were continued in the same study area in Wolong 
from 1984 to 1987, to monitor predation on giant and red pandas and to assess food habits of leopards.
Hmm I'm not sure, the size advantage is pretty comfortable for the panda, but then again...it's a panda.
The thing with bears is that their neck are so big, it would take a while for the leopard to suffocate one.
The heavier panda should win even though it is more 'sluggish' than other bears.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvrzjqcLyE2x1TQvejwfq...4IDvD2d3Tt]
OldMan
gaint panda is heavier but leopard is among the top predator today.
[Image: t70ok8.jpg]
(02-14-2019, 11:01 AM)onlyfaizy786 Wrote: gaint panda is heavier but leopard is among the top predator today.

yes, but only prey on juveniles, I do not see it capable of killing a adult giant panda
(02-14-2019, 11:53 AM)Shenzi Wrote:
(02-14-2019, 11:01 AM)onlyfaizy786 Wrote: gaint panda is heavier but leopard is among the top predator today.

yes, but only prey on juveniles, I do not see it capable of killing a adult giant panda

i read the article about leopard vs sloth bear, where leopard kill female sloth bear, i have no doubt about his capability.
[Image: t70ok8.jpg]
Maybe panda larger but a skiller leopard too much for bamboo-eater.
Leopard stomps.
^Not to say the leopard can't or won't win, but don't discount the panda for being a bamboo-eater. Bamboo it some tough stuff, dude. It has a higher compression strength (resists being pushed together) than brick or concrete, and a comparable tensile (resists being pulled apart) strength to some steel alloys. The only real downside to eating bamboo is you have to eat a lot to get very little nutrients. So, the panda has strong enough jaws, but is low on energy.
A pine needle fell. The eagle saw it. The deer heard it. The bear smelled it
[-] The following 1 user Likes theGrackle's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
But so far, nothing has convinced me why the panda should win.
(02-15-2019, 02:49 AM)theGrackle Wrote: ^Not to say the leopard can't or won't win, but don't discount the panda for being a bamboo-eater. Bamboo it some tough stuff, dude. It has a higher compression strength (resists being pushed together) than brick or concrete, and a comparable tensile (resists being pulled apart) strength to some steel alloys. The only real downside to eating bamboo is you have to eat a lot to get very little nutrients. So, the panda has strong enough jaws, but is low on energy.

I already know that bamboo is very hard and is a plant that requires high jaw bite force to eat.

I used it as adjective.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Uncia's post:
  • theGrackle