Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Bengal Tiger
100.00%
4 100.00%
Kelenken guillermoi
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengal Tiger v Kelenken guillermoi
I know the terrorbird is not invincible but it would be more likely to fight than run.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvrzjqcLyE2x1TQvejwfq...4IDvD2d3Tt]
OldMan
(03-15-2019, 07:16 AM)Verdugo Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 12:22 AM)zergthe Wrote: Would it not make more sense to base this off of living relatives like seriemas?
(03-15-2019, 02:54 AM)onlyfaizy786 Wrote: do Terror bird can kick? Like sec bird?
The purpose of my post is not to say that Terror birds can kick as well as Secretary birds could. It's only a visual demonstration of how a Bird would kick its opponents. Birds don't kick like the way we human kick a football, their kick is a lot more like a stomp or a straight kick. When you put some sharp talons at the end of their foot, their kicks become very deadly.

I don't know if a Terror bird is going to be as good as a kicker as a secretary bird (although there is a paper posted by Ausar seems to imply similar kicking abilities between these two groups of animals), however, if a Terror bird is ever gonna kick something, it will kick in a similar manner as the Secretary birds do.

You can see the video of a kicking ostrich here and here. As you can see, all Birds kick in a similar manner, there's no reasons to think a Terror bird's kick would be any different.
(03-15-2019, 12:58 AM)Ausar Wrote:
Quote:In the video, the Secretary bird can kick with up to 5 times its own body weight. If a Terror bird is anything like this Secretary bird, a 200 kg Terror bird would be able to kick with a metric tonne of force.

Don't we have to account for the square cube law?
Yeah i tried but i encountered some problems with that. When i tried to apply the square-cube law, here is what i get. A Secretary bird can kick with 200 N of force on a 4 kg body mass, scales that up to 200 kg body mass
200 * (Cube-root(200/4))^2 = 2714 N or 277 kgf
So the Bird here only kicks with slightly more force than its standing position (the bird already exerted 200 kgf to the ground simply by standing) which does not sound right. The Secretary bird in the video i posted seems to put its entire body weight into the kick, if the Terror bird also kicks in a similar manner, it's difficult to believe that the Bird only kicks with slightly more force than its body weight.

Also, in the video, you can see the person (i assume he is the scientist who carried out the study) explained that if a Bird was his size, it would be able to kick with 450 kgf. If you take 450/5, you'll get 90 kgf, which is about the weight of a human being. So i think he was implying that the Bird will be able to kick with 5 times its body weight even if it got scaled up to a bigger size. I really can't say how scientific that statement was to be honest. But i guess it's ok to assume that the Terror bird's kicks would be quite dangerous if it connect to its opponents.

Why did we talk about the Bird's kick so much? It still has a 71 cm long axe-like skull that will make a mess out of anything if it connects.

EDIT: Here is my very amateurish attempt of making a size comparison between these two animals.
[Image: c84yyUL.png]

Tiger is ambush hunter capable to hunt larger then it self. Gaur is almost trice of his size with long powerful horn and muscular legs for kicking.

[Image: t70ok8.jpg]