Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Predator - prey relationships
it was 2 martens that dispatched the cat. guessing it was a quick death with a nape bite.
 [Image: 75TiAZC.jpg]
Stoat kills rabbit many times its size. Skip to 1:43 for the action.

[-] The following 1 user Likes ApexBoy's post:
  • Gaurus
Yeah, so a pet puss gets killed by an opportunistic gang of marauders.. big deal..

( & one of our pet cats was a rabbit hunter who'd also bring in a stoat from time to time, also not a big deal).
why so triggered? the thread is for predator/prey incidents.
Nah.. not "triggered".. just feeling a natural empathy - for a hapless pet..

I know full-well.. our - utterly determined to be out-doors - cat.. may not return, every time he goes out.. on his 'patrols'..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mondas's post:
  • Ferox
It is hard to see, but in the censored part of the vid, I only see 1 Marten on the cat.
Mondas does also seem to have misunderstood the point. It is simple a highly rare interaction that we basically have almost nothing that is just closely similar to on tape. It is a big deal simply because it is rare. Tho the size difference between a Stoat and a domestic cat is a bit.....
I thought it was 1 marten as well, but look closely its 2.
Mongoose hunts a puppy

Mongoose hunts a rat

[-] The following 1 user Likes Forbiddenip's post:
  • HoundMaster
(08-29-2018, 04:59 PM)Mondas Wrote: Nah.. not "triggered".. just feeling a natural empathy - for a hapless pet..

I know full-well.. our - utterly determined to be out-doors - cat.. may not return, every time he goes out.. on his 'patrols'..

(08-29-2018, 11:09 PM)Ryo Wrote: It is hard to see, but in the censored part of the vid, I only see 1 Marten on the cat.
Mondas does also seem to have misunderstood the point. It is simple a highly rare interaction that we basically have almost nothing that is just closely similar to on tape. It is a big deal simply because it is rare. Tho the size difference between a Stoat and a domestic cat is a bit.....

You can clearly see its 2 martens and they are both larger then the little white cat.
[-] The following 2 users Like Felinepower's post:
  • Ferox, Oculus Kageyamii

Chimps attack Red Colobus monkeys. They catch one later.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Forbiddenip's post:
  • Leopard

[Image: APVwP9.gif]
Masai Mara, Kenya 2016.   A male leopard temporarily called "Daddy" breaks down a juvenile wildebeest, leaves it on the ground, and then immediately breaks down an adult female wildebeest, probably the mother. While the leopard is smothering the adult, the baby recovers and runs past the leopard smothering it's mother. The leopard lets go of the mother wildebeest and chases after and catches the juvenile. While the leopard is smothering the juvenile, the mother starts coughing and struggles to her feet. I honestly thought she was dying, but she somehow recovers enough to try to run away. The leopard, still choking the juvenile, sees what has happened, lets go of the juvenile, and chases the mother wildebeest. The mother Wildebeest turns on the leopard and escapes. The leopard returns to the juvenile, dispatches it, and drags it back to a tree near the den where he and a leopard temporarily called "Mama" have hidden their two cubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZCZIOA5OI4
Cheetah cub makes its first kill: a scrub hare.

Classic Big Cat Diaries footage of Cheetah cubs learning to hunt: a scrub hare

Adult Cheetah:

Cheetah kills hare.

Cheetah catches hare:

Bonus: 13 minute video of Cheetah devouring hare kill: