Carnivora
Indian Gaur v Daeodon shoshonensis - Printable Version

+- Carnivora (https://carnivora.net)
+-- Forum: Zoology (https://carnivora.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Interspecific Conflict (https://carnivora.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Indian Gaur v Daeodon shoshonensis (/showthread.php?tid=4997)

Indian Gaur v Daeodon shoshonensis - Taipan - 01-12-2019

Indian Gaur - Bos gaurus gaurus
The gaur (Bos gaurus), also called Indian bison, is a large bovine native to South Asia and Southeast Asia. The gaur has a high convex ridge on the forehead between the horns, which bends forward, causing a deep hollow in the profile of the upper part of the head. There is a prominent ridge on the back. The ears are very large; the tail only just reaches the hocks, and in old bulls the hair becomes very thin on the back. In colour, the adult male gaur is dark brown, approaching black in very old individuals; the upper part of the head, from above the eyes to the nape of the neck, is, however, ashy gray, or occasionally dirty white; the muzzle is pale coloured, and the lower part of the legs are pure white or tan. The cows and young bulls are paler, and in some instances have a rufous tinge, which is most marked in individuals inhabiting dry and open districts. The gaur is an extremely large mammal.  In general measurements are derived from gaurs surveyed in India. Indian gaur males averaged about 840 kg (1,850 lb) (in a sample of 13) and females weigh a median of approximately 700 kg (1,500 lb). 

[Image: photo.jpg]

Daeodon shoshonensis
Daeodon, one of the largest, if not the largest, entelodont artiodactyls, lived 25-18 million years ago in North America. The 3.6 m (12 ft) long, about 1.8 m at the shoulder, 90 cm long skulled, estimated weights vary from 300 - 1000 kg, an animal strongly resembled a giant, monstrous pig or warthog, possessing huge jaws with prominent tusks and flaring cheekbones. It possibly was a huge, bone-crushing scavenger and predator, found at Agate Springs Quarry. It had long skull bones under its eyes and bony protrusions on the lower jaw, not dissimilar to the 'warts' of the warthog, which may have supported jaw muscles. The well-known genus Dinohyus ("terrible pig") has now been synonymized with Daeodon, as the latter is the earlier name, having priority.

[Image: Daeodon-shoshonensis2-738x591.jpg]

(01-12-2019, 01:04 AM)Megis Wrote: Daeodon vs Gaur

RE: Indian Gaur v Daeodon shoshonensis - OldGreenVulture - 01-13-2019

The gaur will win as it is better built and has horns. The deadon doesn't have these knife like tusks to slash up close. I wonder how effective its jaws will be in holding. EDIT: The deadon has strong jaws and tusks which would give it a much better chance than I thought.

RE: Indian Gaur v Daeodon shoshonensis - Ausar - 01-13-2019

(01-13-2019, 01:11 AM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: The gaur will win as it is better built and has horns. The deadon doesn't have these knife like tusks to slash up close. I wonder how effective its jaws will be in holding. EDIT: The deadon has strong jaws and tusks which would give it a much better chance than I thought.

What did you originally think it had?

As long as Daeodon is similar in weight to the gaur, it wins. I favor its massive jaws over the gaur's horns.

RE: Indian Gaur v Daeodon shoshonensis - Megis - 01-13-2019

Daeodon wins majority of the time IMO.
I doubt the horns could stop the massive jaws of the daeodon,
not to mention the Daeodon can get up to the same or larger sizes(not weight wise) than the Gaur.

RE: Indian Gaur v Daeodon shoshonensis - OldGreenVulture - 01-14-2019

(01-13-2019, 02:20 AM)Ausar Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 01:11 AM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: The gaur will win as it is better built and has horns. The deadon doesn't have these knife like tusks to slash up close. I wonder how effective its jaws will be in holding. EDIT: The deadon has strong jaws and tusks which would give it a much better chance than I thought.

What did you originally think it had?

As long as Daeodon is similar in weight to the gaur, it wins. I favor its massive jaws over the gaur's horns.
I underestimated the daeodon before I posted the word EDIT as I was half sleepy at that time. After more careful research, I realise that the deadon is and could be deadlier.

RE: Indian Gaur v Daeodon shoshonensis - Lightning - 01-14-2019

Daeodon wins due to superior weaponry.

RE: Indian Gaur v Daeodon shoshonensis - Cryolophosaurus - 01-15-2019

Daedon's size and powerful crushing jaws would do the job.