Poll: Cats: Indoors or Outdoors?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Indoors only
60.00%
6 60.00%
Outdoors only
30.00%
3 30.00%
Unsure
10.00%
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats: Indoors or Outdoors?
k9boy Wrote:Should cats be kept indoors or outdoors? What do you guys think?
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
I believe a cat should be kept outdoors unless it has been trained to live indoors since it was a kitten.
Indoor cats live longer and don't affect the populations of local wildlife in any way. Indoor all the way
Cats have a hard life outdoors and only live for eight years. It is dangerous for a cat to be white especially at night because they are seen more easily and become targets.
(11-01-2018, 10:39 AM)OldGreenVulture Wrote: Cats have a hard life outdoors and only live for eight years. It is dangerous for a cat to be white especially at night because they are seen more easily and become targets.

^ Do you mean feral cats, rather than housecats - which themselves choose to spend time outdoors?

Sure, feral cats which are all-white will not do well, due to being too easily spotted by/as potential prey,
& because they are prone to skin cancers from getting too much solar-UV exposure.

But as an obvious pet, they are more likely to be seen & not run over, by (most) drivers of vehicles.
My area has a high abundance of eastern coyotes. People still let their cats outdoors, but its *really* not a good idea.
^ Seems like maybe you need to go out & do some varminting!
Definitely a cat should live outdoors. As for the eastern coyotes, why people do not use electric fences to keep dangerous wildlife out of their properties?
Not everyone could afford something like that, and I don't think it's fair to say they should go just go exterminating coyotes either Mondas, they were there...first

The more I've learned about this topic the more I believe it's entirely unethical to let your cat outdoors unsupervised, no matter if you live in a place with coyotes or not.
Outdoor cats:
-Have significantly lower lifespans than indoor cats
-Are more at risk of being accidentally killed by cars or dogs
-Are more at risk of being purposefully killed by poisonings or shootings
-Are at risk of being predated by wild animals
-Are more likely to catch and spread diseases
-Completely suppress native wildlife populations to the point of extinctions

Cats can have rich and fulfilling lives without ever going outside, they don't really care either way. If you really want to have your cat experience outdoors then you can leash-walk it, build a cat patio, or let it out supervised in an enclosed garden. The argument that cats don't get enough stimulation from being inside is equally bull****, if you can't provide an enriching environment for your cat indoors, you shouldn't have one
^ Well, we don't know for sure how long domestic cats have been in Britain, but at least since Roman times.
& the common law has for many centuries recognised the 'right' of kept cats to go outside & do their thing.

Its only recently that such bullshit has been promulgated to restrict cats to inside only, & its akin to caging them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mondas's post:
  • Claudiu Constantin Nicolaescu
Probably the owners of indoors cats are not aware of the concept of a landrace.
^If they live in a decent neighbourhood, sans intruding varmints, or vindictive cat-haters, why would they need one?
(05-05-2019, 09:09 AM)Mondas Wrote: ^ Well, we don't know for sure how long domestic cats have been in Britain, but at least since Roman times.
& the common law has for many centuries recognised the 'right' of kept cats to go outside & do their thing.

Its only recently that such bullshit has been promulgated to restrict cats to inside only, & its akin to caging them.

I don't understand your point. Greater parliament often doesn't know jack-sh*t about the animals it makes laws about, they rarely ever consult experts
I'd sooner "cage" my cat indoors where I could provide it an enriching and safe environment than see it suffer an early death by a car or fox. It's not about the cat's "rights", it's about literally saving its life and the life of other animals. You wouldn't let your dog, ferret, parrot, or lizard run loose in the streets would you? (Parrots also shouldn't be pets but that's another argument)
I mean a landrace originated from outdoors cats, not from indoors cats. By keeping the cats indoors, they can not move and breed freely. So the gene flow is blocked, and no new landraces will appear.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Claudiu Constantin Nicolaescu's post:
  • Mondas
Good. Why would you /want/ cats to breed so freely? Domestic cat populations cause the extinctions locally of thousands of small bird, mammal, reptile, and amphibian species, and globally they're responsible for at least 30 species-wide extinctions. And in areas where truly wild wildcats exist they interbreed with them and completely mess up /that/ genepool