Poll: Cats: Indoors or Outdoors?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Indoors only
60.00%
6 60.00%
Outdoors only
30.00%
3 30.00%
Unsure
10.00%
1 10.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats: Indoors or Outdoors?
(05-05-2019, 10:33 AM)ScottishWildcat Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 09:09 AM)Mondas Wrote: ^ Well, we don't know for sure how long domestic cats have been in Britain, but at least since Roman times.
& the common law has for many centuries recognised the 'right' of kept cats to go outside & do their thing.

Its only recently that such bullshit has been promulgated to restrict cats to inside only, & its akin to caging them.

I don't understand your point. Greater parliament often doesn't know jack-sh*t about the animals it makes laws about, they rarely ever consult experts
I'd sooner "cage" my cat indoors where I could provide it an enriching and safe environment than see it suffer an early death by a car or fox. It's not about the cat's "rights", it's about literally saving its life and the life of other animals. You wouldn't let your dog, ferret, parrot, or lizard run loose in the streets would you? (Parrots also shouldn't be pets but that's another argument)

'Common law' is not due to 'Greater Parliament'. It is determined by Judicial Authority.

Cats have enjoyed that common law 'right' for centuries, because they were deemed acceptable in conduct.

'Och, if your wee pansy-jessie puss canna make uts way' - in your tough neighbourhood, perhaps you should adopt a 1/2 breed SWC kitten, & that'll surely -  'no be afeared o' any bloddy fox, mon'!
I know about that. But I do not think a cat can be raised indoors. They are prone to escape and to live outdoors. Maybe a neutered cat could live indoors. But even those cats will try to escape to live outdoors and to hunt small prey items and to climb trees. It is a natural instinct.
^ C.C.N., sadly some cats are so 'pampered' (suppressed) by their 'owners' that they develop/reflect their 'neuroses' too.

Other cats, who are not fearful to go outside, may choose to go from such 'homes' & not return, if they get the chance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mondas's post:
  • Claudiu Constantin Nicolaescu
a life stuck in doors is no life at all for animal
 [Image: 75TiAZC.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like K9Boy's post:
  • Claudiu Constantin Nicolaescu, Mondas
Cut it with the accent man. It's embarrassing.

So what if they've enjoyed that 'right' for centuries? Just because a law's been around for a while that doesn't make it correct (I mean, I should know that better than anyone lol).

Quote:'Och, if your wee pansy-jessie puss canna make uts way' - in your tough neighbourhood, perhaps you should adopt a 1/2 breed SWC kitten, & that'll surely -  'no be afeared o' any bloddy fox, mon'!

Besides, I don't see what any of this has to do with my argument. If you anything you're backing it up: "Don't let your cats outside. They get eaten by f*cking foxes." 

Quote:I know about that. But I do not think a cat can be raised indoors. They are prone to escape and to live outdoors. Maybe a neutered cat could live indoors. But even those cats will try to escape to live outdoors and to hunt small prey items and to climb trees. It is a natural instinct.

Then it should be up to the cat owners to "cat-proof" their homes, and at least provide indoors climbing structures and cat toys that satiate these natural instincts without putting their cats or local animals at risk. (Besides, you should be spaying and neutering your pets anyways).

'I killed a cat with poisoned food': Message board post leads Japanese police to serial feline killer
Several cats killed in cat colony; Sheriff's office launches investigation
Caught on video: Dogs attack, kill family cat in Tomball
Man kills cat with hunting bow, police allege
Attack dog on the loose after bloody cat-killing episode in Rockingham

^And there's thousands more like this. Please, for your cat's sake: don't send them to early graves
Badshit happens, & you have to understand, anytime your cat goes out on a 'sortie', there's never a guarantee of return.

Same as your dear ol' mum's gotta deal with, when her 'wee bairn' goes out droogin' & a stoogin', right?

Addit:

& @ K9Boy, I have to agree, esp' animals which suffer from being so closely 'kept'.

( Funny, looking at your sig' pic, our cat has a blue eye like that leopard, & can give you that exact same 'look' too!)
(05-05-2019, 11:01 AM)K9Boy Wrote: a life stuck in doors is no life at all for animal

Well that's a bit reductionist. Would you apply the same standards to pet lizards, tortoises, fish, rodents, zoo animals? (Actually I probably shouldn't get started on zoos, that's a whole other argument)

It would certainly be nice if we lived in a world where that was possible, but we don't. Outside isn't friendly to animals of any kind, and IMO we shouldn't be setting loose these animals that are so easily and so often killed, and completely wipe out actual wild animals that were there first (nice to see you all only seem to care about cats though.)

This isn't about cats living "full lives" or whatever, they can very very easily have that indoors with the proper care taken for them. This is about cat welfare, trying to stop as many cats as possible from dying unnecessary and painful deaths.

But I realise I'm not going to get through to any of you, so w/e. I just hope nothing bad happens to your cats out there

Quote:Same as your dear ol' mum's gotta deal with, when her 'wee bairn' goes out droogin' & a stoogin', right?

Is this really how you think Scottish people talk? I'm not confident 'droogin'' and 'stoogin'' are actual dialect words
I don't want cats outside simply because of the harm they do to the Wildlife. I view only farm cats as a possible exception. If I had a cat, and let it outside, it would be full well knowing that it could do harm and be harmed.
Australias most recent mass extinctions were primarily caused by cats, that were human pets until they began making wild populations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ryo's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
The thing is you can not have a cat and a small wild animal in the same place. Obviously the cat will kill the small animal. I have read a thousand times how the feral cats predate on native wild animals. The only humane solution to this problem is to accept the food habits of the feral cats, not to try to eradicate them as a species. Where there are no cats the rodents will proliferate, bringing with them diseases and harvest damage.
Cats & humans both lately arose in the evolutionary record & spread across the world to dominate in their roles.

Humans suppressed larger cats, but humans have kept small cats as domestic companions & now they are ubiquitous.

Humanity needs to take responsibility for many issues, but just as in original natural settings, those creatures which
cannot adapt to the presence of small cats, will be swept away, its a basic evolutionary imperative.
The solution is indeed to eradicate feral cats by any means. If they are not native, they are no different than any other invasive species.

Perhaps, but then I would rather not oh no a swear word up the ecosystem any more just because we find cats to be cute. Mondas, do you want any more Australian Marsupials and New Zealandic Birds species to go permenantly in the history books never to return again, simply because we were too lazy to remove an invasive pet that we found to be cute?
^ No.

Its neither technically, nor practicably feasible ( 'cept in special 'cat proof' reserves) & it, as C.C.N. has noted,
causes unforseen consequences, such as mustelids & rodents, which are suppressed by cats, running rampant.
Depends. In the case of Australia, there are no Mustelids for the cats and Foxes to keep down.

And New Zealand and looking for ways to eradicate their Possums, Cats and Mustelids through various means of genetic altering and potential even going overkill by gassing forests.

If none of that works, consistently kill them will help keep them down.

As for any other country, the cats are basically just a tumor on the wildlife, the only thing they benefit, is keeping rodents down. Which is not something I have yet looked into yet, but I am aware of the claims saying it is not even by much of a large degree on the rodent spectrum compared to other wanted wildlife. Making it less worth it.

Again, I can accept farm cats just barely. But unless it is a cat I know or belongs to someone I know, I won't feel much when it is eaten by Coyotes.
No.

"Constantly killing them" just makes surviving cats extra careful, & more difficult to kill, as research shows.

It is a wasted effort, only serving to falsely assuage the angst of cat-haters, & makes hypocrites of animal carers.

& your admitted ignorance about cats, along with an evident anti-cat bias, means your views are quite distorted.
(05-05-2019, 11:26 AM)ScottishWildcat Wrote:
(05-05-2019, 11:01 AM)K9Boy Wrote: a life stuck in doors is no life at all for animal

Well that's a bit reductionist. Would you apply the same standards to pet lizards, tortoises, fish, rodents, zoo animals? (Actually I probably shouldn't get started on zoos, that's a whole other argument)

It would certainly be nice if we lived in a world where that was possible, but we don't. Outside isn't friendly to animals of any kind, and IMO we shouldn't be setting loose these animals that are so easily and so often killed, and completely wipe out actual wild animals that were there first (nice to see you all only seem to care about cats though.)

This isn't about cats living "full lives" or whatever, they can very very easily have that indoors with the proper care taken for them. This is about cat welfare, trying to stop as many cats as possible from dying unnecessary and painful deaths.

But I realise I'm not going to get through to any of you, so w/e. I just hope nothing bad happens to your cats out there

i think its either let your cats out, or dont get one at all. keeping it inside is selfish. i respect the beliefs about the damages cats can cause to the surrounding environment. but keeping your cat indoors to stop it dying...i dont get it. things die its a part of life. a cat that has grown up regularly spending its time outdoors will quickly learn how to take care of itself. they arent helpless little babies they are animals that even after years of domestication are still hardwired for survival.

these animals are ment to be outdoors. its outdoors or nothing. its like a vegan refusing to give his cat meat and feeding it veggie kibble because he doesnt believe in the way the animals are slaughtered. which again, i respect. but if you arent prepared to buy slaughtered raw meat/meat kibble, then you cant get a cat, simple.
 [Image: 75TiAZC.jpg]