Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs breeds most capable of killing Timber Wolf?
Perhaps a beorbeol?

But not one of these big and bulky individuals, but a slimmer and more ripped dog. Here is what I mean:

[Image: 1a111612552fdf4300d7f97666638c73.jpg]
[Image: FB_IMG_1471813777551.jpg]
Make your life a masterpiece; imagine no limitations on what you can be, have or do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mammuthus's post:
  • theGrackle
(10-06-2018, 04:03 AM)Mustang Wrote: Working line Kangals and Central Asian shep have demonstrated their ability to match even North American wolves. Apart from those, an adult North American or European wolf is too much for most dogs most of the time.
Have they begun to use those in North America? I know for the last many years, they have used those much more docile Great Pyrs and Anatolian Shepherds.
(10-06-2018, 08:09 AM)Mustang Wrote:
(10-06-2018, 05:38 AM)Forbiddenip Wrote:
(10-06-2018, 05:24 AM)Ryo Wrote: Who's to say this Wolf does not eat dog meat? All it wanted was some easy food at a carcass site, and then suddenly ended up in a fight for its life. It probably fled after the fight or ate a bit of carrion and then hurried away. As said, it actually got injured by some random Pit.
It is not that big of a shock either, since Italian Wolves are similar to Iberian Wolves.

Our russian wolf will never leave a dead dog. I didn't hear that. They eat them all the time. Only if wolf/ves scared by someone. Villages are left without dogs regardless of breed. But i never heard about dog who killed wolf.

I've seen enough of your posts to add you to my ignore list, but I just wanted to say that this is absolute BS. Not every wolf vs dog interaction is a predation attempt, nor is it a must for a wolf to eat a dog after killing it. Wolves have engaged in livestock surplus killing, meaning they have killed sheep, only to leave their carcasses untouched, so it is by no means out of question for them to kill anything and then not eat it, and really this goes for almost any predator that I know.

I wrote: Only if wolf/ves scared by someone.

According to zoologists, to wolves, pit bulls and all other breeds of dog are only considered food. 

(10-06-2018, 06:26 AM)Ryo Wrote: We do have feats of dogs killing Wolves in the middle east and southern Eurasian, tho they are smaller. As said, I favor a big Wolf over any dog, especially due to their skull bite. But it is worth noting that Wolves are almost always closer to their peak potential than the majortity of dogs will ever be.

Also, it is not a universal rule that Wolves HAS to eat a dog when they have killed it. And you can ask yourself how many of these Wolves actually got injured in the process if a 1v1 fight.

Only if wolf/ves scared by someone. I saw a lot of dogs that were killed by wolves. Dog is not a competitor of wolf. Don't forget about humans.

Reports from Croatia indicate wolves kill dogs more frequently than they kill sheep. Wolves in Russia apparently limit feral dog populations. In Wisconsin, more compensation has been paid for dog losses than livestock. Some wolf pairs have been reported to prey on dogs by having one wolf lure the dog out into heavy brush where the second animal waits in ambush.
(10-06-2018, 06:38 PM)Forbiddenip Wrote: Some wolf pairs have been reported to prey on dogs by having one wolf lure the dog out into heavy brush where the second animal waits in ambush.

Oh! I never knew wolves practiced this thing too, I thought it was a coyote only thing.
(ง ื▿ ื)ว
(10-06-2018, 06:56 PM)Are thou sleepy Wrote:
(10-06-2018, 06:38 PM)Forbiddenip Wrote: Some wolf pairs have been reported to prey on dogs by having one wolf lure the dog out into heavy brush where the second animal waits in ambush.

Oh! I never knew wolves practiced this thing too, I thought it was a coyote only thing.

Wolves are in the top 1 animals who eat dogs.
(10-06-2018, 07:10 PM)Forbiddenip Wrote:

I know that. I just didn't know wolves used a bait like coyotes who'd try to predate on dogs.
(ง ื▿ ื)ว

Even coyotes attack big dogs / humans think that big dog is competitor of wolf:

Almost 30 different breeds of dog were reported to have been attacked by coyotes. Smaller breed dogs were attacked more often than medium and large sized dogs, with 20 small breeds, 3 medium breeds, and 6 large breeds attacked. Although smaller breeds are more commonly attacked, larger breeds, such as Labrador Retrievers and Golden Retrievers, have also been attacked in the Chicago metropolitan area. Larger breeds of dog were usually attacked by two or more coyotes, often alpha pairs, at a time.

Attacks on smaller dog breeds were more often fatal (although some attacks on larger breeds were fatal as well) and usually the attack involved a single coyote. Yorkshire terriers and Shih Tzus were the breeds most commonly attacked (6 attacks each), followed by Jack Russell terriers and Labrador Retrievers (5 attacks each), and boxers and poodles (4 attacks each). Dogs were more commonly attacked during the winter months than during the spring and summer which corresponds to the breeding season of the coyote. Dogs were attacked while outside in their backyard (both alone and in the presence of their owner) and also while being walked by their owner in a park.

https://urbancoyoteresearch.com/coyote-i...erspective
Some of these places you mentioned are infested with starved stray dogs, some who may compete with Wolves. Then add in that domestic dogs are said to for some reason be quite tasty carnivores. There is no rule that a Wolf HAS to eat a dog every time it kills it. Every time we find a dog body that has not been eaten, does not mean there had to be anything scaring it away. It is almost silly to think of.

Regardless, food can still injure you. We saw that with the random pet Pitbull that actually matched an Italian Wolf before being skull bitten. And as said, almost all the time, Wolves are closer to their peak potential in exercise and experience than dogs are, yet we have seen cases of dogs fighting back quite well.
Of course wolves kill dogs more than sheep in some areas that’s the point of the dogs sheep are more profitable for their wool and meat so ranchers use dogs to protect against wolves some idiots only use one or two which is bad since the can be singled out lured and eaten by a wolf pack where it stands no chance. In areas where wolf vs dog combat is more prevalent ie russia turkey Eastern Europe and others numbers win either the wolf pack catch a lone dog or visa versa now when pack on pack wolves have advantage since most of wolf pack are willing to combat and kill where as only the experienced and dominant dogs do most of combat. In Italy where the spiked collar is used only the most promising prospects are awarded the collar to be used for future breeding for dogs better suited to combat wolves. I think some of the Portuguese lgds might stand a chance against lone wolves.
The night is dark and full of terrors
(10-06-2018, 11:50 AM)Ryo Wrote:
(10-06-2018, 04:03 AM)Mustang Wrote: Working line Kangals and Central Asian shep have demonstrated their ability to match even North American wolves. Apart from those, an adult North American or European wolf is too much for most dogs most of the time.
Have they begun to use those in North America? I know for the last many years, they have used those much more docile Great Pyrs and Anatolian Shepherds.

Yes, they're being used with very good results actually. I remember posting a link to an ongoing study that mentions them being far more resistant to getting killed by wild predators than the commonly used Maremma or Great Pyrenees.

It's not that big a surprise given the fact that Great Pyrenees have been losing their working qualities due to being selected for the show ring for decades now.
[Image: gif-king-58507a16b5aae897512395a9ba9c76ee.gif]