Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
African Lion
35.71%
10 35.71%
Grizzly Bear
64.29%
18 64.29%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
African Lion v Grizzly Bear
I mean you stated this.
(09-15-2018, 01:57 PM)EyeoftheJag Wrote: I can't see anyway that a male lion could handle a large coastal male grizzly. 

The lion dies.

Even though it wasn't implied that this population was going to be used for this match up.
[Image: 12-facts-aztec-warrior-770x437.jpg]
(10-11-2018, 01:19 PM)Aztec Wrote: I mean you stated this.
(09-15-2018, 01:57 PM)EyeoftheJag Wrote: I can't see anyway that a male lion could handle a large coastal male grizzly. 

The lion dies.

Even though it wasn't implied that this population was going to be used for this match up.

My bad. I didn't read the stipulations.

But at max weights, even the inland grizzly wins.

I personally feel tigers are better suited for fighting bears than lions are.

The lion's mane isn't gonna matter much in the face of the grizzly's claws, and the bear is the just the more durable of the two in general.
(10-11-2018, 12:29 PM)EyeoftheJag Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 01:59 PM)Ursus 21 Wrote: I was under the impression that the lion was up against the much smaller inland bear, given the weight ranges in the OP.

At max weights, even a large male inland grizzly is too much for any lion.

Comparing them at average weights is far more realistic, because if the two ever did meet, the likelihood is that the bear and the lion would be closer to their average weights, as opposed to their max weights.
(10-11-2018, 02:03 PM)EyeoftheJag Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 01:19 PM)Aztec Wrote: I mean you stated this.

The lion dies.

My bad. I didn't read the stipulations.

But at max weights, even the inland grizzly wins.

I personally feel tigers are better suited for fighting bears than lions are.

The lion's mane isn't gonna matter much in the face of the grizzly's claws, and the bear is the just the more durable of the two in general.

But it is going to help when the bear tires out and suddenly overpower the lion. The bears killing method is not going to be effective against the lions mane. There is no reasonable evidence of bears being more durable than big cats at parity.
At Parity, Lion wins at least 55/45 against the inland Grizzly. At the max weights of the Coastal Grizzly, the Grizzly certainly has the advantage.
I'm honestly not sure who to go with here. Grizzlies are bigger and bulkier but Lions, to my knowledge, have more powerful weaponry, at least with the teeth. It seems 50/50 for me here.