Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tigers vs Buffaloes, Gaurs and other Bovidae
Hey guys, I have decided to revive & restart this thread of ours. There was too much bias, derogatory statements and negative energy on the old thread. Hopefully, this thread will now consist of respectful debate and discussion.

Animal profiles:

Tiger - Panthera tigris

Asian (Water) Buffalo - Bubalus arnee

Gaur - Bos Gaurus (or Bos Frontalis)

I'm not sure how credible this author is, but I enjoy his description about the tiger's mode of attack on a large bovine. He writes that the tiger attacks the bull from the rear and rides the prey animal, reaches forward and grabs the bull's nose with its claws to draw its head back, and bites the neck to bring down the animal. 

Quote:We once had a full-grown Gaur cow killed by a tiger in our coffee area. At first the Forest Guards came and tried to accuse us of having shot the animal in an attempt to extract some silence money. But I would have none of that and demanded that the DFO come to inspect. When he came, I took him to the carcass and showed him the telltale claw marks of the tiger. The tiger attacks from behind and rides the animal, and as it gallops in panic, the tiger reaches forward and hooks its claws into the animal’s nose and draws its head back, biting into the back of the neck to get at the spinal cord until the animal falls and breaks its neck. If you see the neck of a Gaur, how huge and muscular it is, you can imagine the strength of the tiger which can force that neck to bend back until it makes the animal fall. Tigers generally go for juveniles or cows, which are smaller. The big bulls are immune to everything except men and old age.

Author: Mirza Yawar Baig (2017) 

Tigers usually kill a bull with a throat bite. Mature bull gaurs have a thick, girthy neck, and often a low-hanging dewlap, which makes it difficult to kill them through asphyxiation, and they have a strong back and shoulders as well. To get around this, tigers have been known to bite the bull's hock; a technique known as hamstringing. 

Quote:88% of the 33 gaur they recorded killed by tigers (including all adults) resulted from throat bites. Adult bulls have a thick neck and often a dewlap, which makes killing them by asphyxiation difficult, and given their strong back as well, one tactic used by tigers to bring down a bull gaur is by biting the hock, thereby hamstringing the bull. 

Author: M. Melletti and J. Burton (2014) 

Given their large size and sharp horns, gaur are more difficult to kill than deer. In The Book Of The Tiger, the author describes a bull gaur that fought off an attacking tiger with its horns, and another bull gaur killed by a tiger in a prolonged struggle, after which the tiger was shot, and found to have an eye gouged out and other injuries. The writer explains that the tiger makes its attack from the rear, to avoid the horns at the front of a large bovine. 

Quote:[Image: main-qimg-fae98a8504d1d20e2a31a6d6ec527060]

Author:  Brigadier General R. G. Burton (1933) 

Tigers may be killed by gaurs during unsuccessful predation attempts. Several examples will be posted here. 

Gaurus Wrote:{1959} Large tiger killed by gaur bull 

[Image: main-qimg-57436bbd7b3b58c7635d852216187e11]
[Image: main-qimg-36fda9702d313019e72f10e5632ddfe7]
[Image: main-qimg-496555ae27160aafad8166ec58095d2f]

Author: K. Anderson (1959) 
Where have all the posts gone in this thread Gaurus?
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
(08-05-2018, 09:56 PM)Gaurus Wrote: Hey guys, I have decided to revive & restart this thread of ours. There was too much bias, derogatory statements and negative energy on the old thread. Hopefully, this thread will now consist of respectful debate and discussion.

Can you answer the question above please? Why did you delete everyone posts but yours, and what rules were broken in these posts for them to be deleted? I had already cleared this thread up several times before approving the posts you have now permanently deleted.
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
(11-08-2018, 02:41 PM)Taipan Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 09:56 PM)Gaurus Wrote: Hey guys, I have decided to revive & restart this thread of ours. There was too much bias, derogatory statements and negative energy on the old thread. Hopefully, this thread will now consist of respectful debate and discussion.

Can you answer the question above please? Why did you delete everyone posts but yours, and what rules were broken in these posts for them to be deleted? I had already cleared this thread up several times before approving the posts you have now permanently deleted.

This is one of the most viewed threads on the forum. I thought that all the bickering was embarrassing and created a bad image of us. I thought it might discourage Guests from becoming Members. I want this thread to respectable and factual, not filled with bias and derogatory remarks.

EDIT: Okay, I should not have deleted posts that didn’t break forum rules. I apologise for my actions.