Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Kodiak Bear
50.00%
10 50.00%
Iberian (Spanish) Fighting Bull
50.00%
10 50.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kodiak Bear v Iberian (Spanish) Fighting Bull
Brobear, I also believe you posted a source saying that most of the larger bison killers have been used for bullbaiting and killed for sport which would explain why grizzilies today are not realm successful against bisons, correct me if I am wrong.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvrzjqcLyE2x1TQvejwfq...4IDvD2d3Tt]
OldMan
(01-13-2019, 08:48 PM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: Brobear, I also believe you posted a source saying that most of the larger bison killers have been used for bullbaiting and killed for sport which would explain why grizzilies today are not realm successful against bisons, correct me if I am wrong.

The grizzlies of the American West ( nineteenth century ) were larger than the mountain grizzlies of Wyoming and Montana. Consider that the bison population numbered somewhere between 50 and 100 million. There were also herds of feral range cattle which would later be rounded up and named Texas Longhorns. Also there were vast herds of mustangs. Those grizzlies fed heavily on carcasses, often displacing a cougar or a pack of wolves. They also hunted; mostly bison calves. Pioneers talk of fights they witnessed between a grizzly and a bull bison or a range bull. As for the bison, it appears ( according to the tales ) that when a big boar grizzly fought a bull bison, it was a 50-50 contest. I'm sure that if they fought, the fight was initiated by the bison.
But its a sure bet that these historic grizzlies did on occasion kill cattle and bison, even if it were mostly cows and calves. These bears ( when captured ) did not go into the arena to fight a bull without some experience. These bears already knew how to kill a bull. 
Doug Peacock relates how over the years the most predatory grizzlies have been systematically culled from the grizzly population. The great bear was, in the past, a more predatory animal than he is today.
a tie battle ! the horns and power of the bull + its aggressiveness vs the claws and bite force of the bear. Won't end well for either parties

75 % deaths for both
Again, I think the bear wins at or near weight parity but might die later of its wounds.
[Image: giphy.gif]
At near weight parity, the bear, definitely. And I doubt it'd die later. At average weights, the bull wins.