Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Dire Wolves (pack of 2)
100.00%
5 100.00%
Zuniceratops christopheri
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dire Wolves (pack of 2) v Zuniceratops christopheri
Dire Wolves (pack of 2) - Canis dirus
The Dire wolf (Canis dirus) is an extinct carnivorous mammal of the genus Canis, and was most common in North America and South America from the Irvingtonian stage to the Rancholabrean stage of the Pleistocene epoch living 1.80 Ma – 10,000 years ago, existing for approximately 1.79 million years. lthough it was closely related to the Gray Wolf and other sister species, Canis dirus was not the direct ancestor of any species known today. Unlike the Gray Wolf, which is of Eurasian origin, the Dire Wolf evolved on the North American continent, along with the Coyote. The Dire Wolf co-existed with the Gray Wolf in North America for about 100,000 years. C. d. guildayi weighed on average 60 kilograms (132 lb) and C. d. dirus was on average 68 kg (150 lb). Despite superficial similarities to the Gray Wolf, there were significant differences between the two species. The legs of the Dire Wolf were proportionally shorter and sturdier than those of the Gray Wolf, and its brain case was smaller than that of a similarly sized gray wolf. The Dire Wolf's teeth were similar to the Gray Wolf's, only slightly larger, pointing to a hypercarnivorous to mesocarnivorous activity. Paleontologist R.M. Nowak states the dietary characteristics are primarily carnivorous as well as partially omnivorous.

[Image: canis_dirus_by_dantheman9758-d3ccj0.jpg]

Zuniceratops christopheri
Zuniceratops ('Zuni-horned face') was a ceratopsian dinosaur from the mid Turonian of the Late Cretaceous Period of what is now New Mexico, United States. It lived about 10 million years earlier than the more familiar horned Ceratopsidae and provides an important window on their ancestry. Zuniceratops appears to have been roughly 3 to 3.5 meters long (10-11 ft) and three feet (one meter) tall at the hips. It probably weighed 100 to 150 kilograms (200 to 250 lb). The frill behind its head was fenestrated but lacking epoccipitals. It is the earliest-known ceratopsian to have eyebrow horns and the oldest-known ceratopsian from North America. This set of horns is thought to have grown much larger with age.Zuniceratops was discovered in 1996, by 8 year old Christopher James Wolfe, son of paleontologist Douglas G. Wolfe, in the Moreno Hill Formation in west-central New Mexico. One skull and the bones from several individuals have been found. More recently, one bone, believed to be a squamosal, has since been found to be an ischium of a Nothronychus.

[Image: ZuniceratopsEivind-Bovor.jpg]

(08-31-2018, 12:22 PM)Aztec Wrote: Zuniceratops vs Two Dire wolves.
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
Here is a comparison: 
[Image: UYKa0f3.jpg]
I believe they would use a somewhat similiar strategy to grey wolves hunting wild boar, by distracting it by the front and gripping it by the hind legs, or this time by the tail of Zuni to affect it's rotation so the other dire wolf goes for the main body.
I would say 50/50 because 2 dire wolves seems like a fair match for Zuniceratops.
I would say the wolves take it more often than not, they would outmaneuver the zuniceratops by distracting it to avoid the head which is the only primary weapon of the ceratopsid while shredding the hind quarters or tearing and piercing through the body overtime.
The wolves should win this the majority, a 100 kg animal should be within their reach for sure.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Two canids form well as a tag team, especially against this type of opponent which is similar to a bovid. I side with the two Dire Wolves.
[Image: Grant-Atkinson-Chiefs-Camp-_Y8A4541.CR2_0276.jpg]
Horned dinasaurs are difficult animals to overwhelm but i think two dire wolves can do it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvrzjqcLyE2x1TQvejwfq...4IDvD2d3Tt]
OldMan
(02-11-2019, 10:33 PM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: Horned dinasaurs are difficult animals to overwhelm but i think two dire wolves can do it.

Agreed. They have the edge here.
(ง ื▿ ื)ว