Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Eurasian Cave Lion
12.50%
1 12.50%
Giant (Short-faced) Hyena (clan of 3)
87.50%
7 87.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eurasian Cave Lion v Giant (Short-faced) Hyena (clan of 3)
Eurasian Cave Lion - Panthera leo spelaea
Panthera leo spelaea or P. spelaea, commonly known as the European or Eurasian cave lion, is an extinct subspecies of lion known from fossils and many examples of prehistoric art. This subspecies was one of the largest lions. The skeleton of an adult male, which was found in 1985 near Siegsdorf (Germany), had a shoulder height of around 1.2 m (4 ft) and a head-body length of 2.1 m (7 ft) without the tail. This is similar to the size of a very large modern lion. The size of this male has been exceeded by other specimens of this subspecies. Therefore this cat may have been around 8%-10% bigger than modern lions and smaller than the earlier cave lion subspecies Panthera leo fossilis or the relatively huge American lion (Panthera leo atrox). The cave lion is known from Paleolithic cave paintings, ivory carvings, and clay figurines. These representations indicate that cave lions had rounded, protruding ears, tufted tails, possibly faint tiger-like stripes, and that at least some had a "ruff" or primitive mane around their neck, indicating males. Other archaeological artifacts indicate that they were featured in Paleolithic religious rituals.

[Image: 4016b80ecf7e2987ef3c2523253bf8d7.jpg]

Giant (Short-faced) Hyena (clan of 3) - Pachycrocuta brevirostus
Pachycrocuta was a genus of prehistoric hyenas. The largest and most well-researched species is Pachycrocuta brevirostris, colloquially known as the giant hyena as it is estimated to have averaged 110 kg (240 lb) in weight — the size of a lioness. This would make it the largest hyena to have ever lived. It lived between the Middle Pliocene and the Middle Pleistocene, about 3 million to 500,000 years ago. Fossil remains have been found in many localities of Eurasia and southern and eastern Africa. Most material consists of fragmented remains, usually of the skull, but there has been a cache of very comprehensive bone material unearthed at the famous Zhoukoudian locality which probably represents the remains of animals which used these caves as lairs for many millennia, while at the western end of their former range, a huge assemblage of Pleistocene fossils at Venta Micena in southeastern Spain also represents a den. It probably was a small-pack hunter of large animals (up to deer size and occasionally larger) and also scavenged for food. Possibly it preferentially did the latter because it was a very heavyset animal not built for chasing prey over long distances. In this aspect it would have differed from the Spotted Hyena of today, which is a more nimble animal that, contrary to its image as a scavenger, usually kills its own food but often gets displaced by lions.

[Image: 000108.jpg]

(09-13-2018, 11:55 AM)Aztec Wrote: Pachycrocuta clan of 2-3 vs Cave lion
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
3 Lioness-sized Hyenas should prove too much for the lone cat to handle I think
The lone wolf dies, while the pack survives...
The lion may be able to fend them off just like with modern hyenas, but there are three of them, lioness sized, and in a conflict like this, they will have to fight. So the hyenas win this, with a numerical and weight advantage.
[Image: SRKsy6Q.gif]
I think the male lion wins.
(09-14-2018, 06:43 AM)Forbiddenip Wrote: I think the male lion wins.

How though? He's outnumbered and he can't run away as it is a fight till death. He will probably wound all three of them, but he won't have the time or power to kill one while trying to stay alive.
(09-14-2018, 07:55 PM)Leopard Wrote:

How though? He's outnumbered and he can't run away as it is a fight till death. He will probably wound all three of them, but he won't have the time or power to kill one while trying to stay alive.

Male lion will kill all hyenas

This lion made a kill earlier in the morning and had just finished eating his fill. As he stretched and walked away, the hyenas went insane for the carcass.

The size differentiation between modern African lions and spotted hyenas is far greater than in this matchup.

I would certainly favour an African lion or lioness over three spotted hyenas, but I don't think the lion is big enough to defeat the three prehistoric hyenas in this case.
(09-14-2018, 09:37 PM)Forbiddenip Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 07:55 PM)Leopard Wrote:

Male lion will kill all hyenas

This lion made a kill earlier in the morning and had just finished eating his fill. As he stretched and walked away, the hyenas went insane for the carcass.

C'mon. I don't think showing videos is the best way to justify your answer especially when these hyenas are the size of lionesses. And the size increase the Eurasian lion has from the African lion isn't that great when compared to these hyenas, yet again a weight advantage for the hyenas.
110 kg average weight of giant short faced hyena and 250-300 kg average weight of eurasian cave lion. Lion easily wins. 

Cowardly lion will lose a battle, Normal lion will kill all hyenas.
^What? 300 kg is the maximum weight, not average, that's already Siberian tiger level! Since your using that, we may as well be using the maximum weights of the hyena which goes up to 150 kg... Yeah?

And in the OP, since it says the Eurasian lion is 8-10% bigger than African lions, I may as well do some quick math here just to gain their average weights! From my information, a male African lion would weigh about 200 kg, some exceeding that, BUT THAT'S THE AVERAGE. Go more than that, and you have an over-the-average lion aka lion approaching Bengal tiger weight levels. So if we take the higher percentage value mentioned which is 10% and add that to 200 kg, it'd be 220 kg now. Because 1/10 of 200 is 20! Yeah, now that I've done this, I favor the hyenas even more.
(09-14-2018, 10:29 PM)Are thou sleepy Wrote: ^What? 300 kg is the maximum weight, not average, that's already Siberian tiger level! Since your using that, we may as well be using the maximum weights of the hyena which goes up to 150 kg... Yeah?

And in the OP, since it says the Eurasian lion is 8-10% bigger than African lions, I may as well do some quick math here just to gain their average weights! From my information, a male African lion would weigh about 200 kg, some exceeding that, BUT THAT'S THE AVERAGE. Go more than that, and you have an over-the-average lion aka lion approaching Bengal tiger weight levels. So if we take the higher percentage value mentioned which is 10% and add that to 200 kg, it'd be 220 kg now. Because 1/10 of 200 is 20! Yeah, now that I've done this, I favor the hyenas even more.
You have convinced me . 250-300 kg 250 kg average weight of eurasian cave lion. Lion is 2 - 2,5 times bigger than hyena.
Eurasian cave lions lived all the way over northern Eurasia and ... 1.2 meters tall at the shoulder and had an estimated weight of 200 to 300 kg.
(09-14-2018, 10:43 PM)Forbiddenip Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 10:29 PM)Are thou sleepy Wrote: ^What? 300 kg is the maximum weight, not average, that's already Siberian tiger level! Since your using that, we may as well be using the maximum weights of the hyena which goes up to 150 kg... Yeah?

You have convinced me . 250-300 kg 250 kg average weight of eurasian cave lion. Lion is 2 - 2,5 times bigger than hyena.
Eurasian cave lions lived all the way over northern Eurasia and ... 1.2 meters tall at the shoulder and had an estimated weight of 200 to 300 kg.
Okay. That seems more reasonable. In my opinion however... MY OPINION, I still think they averaged 220 kg, maybe even 230 kg.
[Image: canisdirus3.jpg?psid=1]
[Image: image.png]

[Image: MNuXdGUh.jpg]

[Image: GeDvpXxh.jpg]

So these pachycrocutas can actually bite as hard as a big cat 60% larger than themselves, meaning that just a single bite could potentially injure it, instead of delivering the superficial bites like spotted hyenas do with African lions.
The hyenas win this. They aren't that much smaller, and they have a numerical advantage. Plus, like Aztec pointed out, they can do lots of damage with each bite.
Mmm, chocolate cake