Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skull size of Tyrannosaurus rex
According to https://www.deviantart.com/franoys/art/T...-640670460, the picture shows the current (average size maybe) largest Tyrannosaurus rex skull so far is 1.52 meter belong to Sue (FMNH PR 2081) but then in the statement below the pic, it was said the length from premaxilla to posteroventral end of the quadrate is 146 cm as restored (144 cm as originally preserved). Which one is the real measurement of Tyrannosaurus rex skull?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johnny Rex's post:
  • theGrackle
Well, I doubt Sue is an average sized Tyrannosaurus rex, Stan is likely a better idea of a relative average for an adult.

I was actually typing out a question to Franoys directly when I answered my own question. The 146cm measurement is a direct measurement of Sue's skull. As you can see in this picture, Sue's skull has undergone a good deal of warping. Franoys likely took this into account when reconstructing the whole animal in the image, thus achieving the 6cm (or 2.3 inch) discrepancy.
[Image: ltiZ2aC.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Maxilla's post:
  • theGrackle
(09-15-2018, 02:37 AM)Maxilla Wrote: Well, I doubt Sue is an average sized Tyrannosaurus rex, Stan is likely a better idea of a relative average for an adult.

I was actually typing out a question to Franoys directly when I answered my own question. The 146cm measurement is a direct measurement of Sue's skull. As you can see in this picture, Sue's skull has undergone a good deal of warping. Franoys likely took this into account when reconstructing the whole animal in the image, thus achieving the 6cm (or 2.3 inch) discrepancy.

So, Sue's skull is 1.52 m right? What is the estimation for maximum size of Tyrannosaurus skull? Thoughts?
(09-15-2018, 05:25 AM)Johnny Rex Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 02:37 AM)Maxilla Wrote: Well, I doubt Sue is an average sized Tyrannosaurus rex, Stan is likely a better idea of a relative average for an adult.

So, Sue's skull is 1.52 m right? What is the estimation for maximum size of Tyrannosaurus skull? Thoughts?

I cant say for certain, it's not my place. My post is what I believe Franoys' logic was when restoring the animal. I suggest messaging him directly.

I'd imagine that the maximum conservative estimate is the largest skull. The largest liberal estimate is likely fragmentary and not to be trusted.
[Image: ltiZ2aC.jpg]