Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Spotted Hyena
42.86%
3 42.86%
Komodo Dragon
57.14%
4 57.14%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Spotted Hyena v Komodo Dragon
(02-12-2019, 01:18 AM)Aztec Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 12:11 AM)Sky Lemon Panther Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 03:09 AM)Aztec Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 02:35 AM)EyeoftheJag Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 02:20 AM)Aztec Wrote: True, but the gap in size might help the spotted hyena subdue the ora before it manages to get a bite itself.

I think you might be underestimating the quickness of a komodo.

True, hyenas are naturally more maneuverable than dragons, but still, they lack the agility and maneuverability of say - a leopard or cougar, two species who probably find it easier to deal with the large monitor.

I could be wrong, and there's no facts to back this, but I feel like even a wolf is more agile than a hyena. While hyenas are certainly physically stronger than wolves.

I think I maintain my stance that this matchup ends badly for both.

Now, 2 hyenas - dragon has no chance.

Spotted hyenas average 63.5-67.5 kg while the komodo dragon weights somewhere between 35-45kg, the former can subdue the varanid to avoid getting injured or if it gets bitten, it doesn't stop the hyena from retaliating.

Either way the hyena comes out on top or both die.

Who said that they weigh only 45kg on average? They weighta lot more, they are between 70-90kg according to my research.

You can go ahead and post your research then.

I asked around about the estimate, they mentioned a article which mentioned a average of 60-70kg in which the ora weren't overfeeded zoo specimens, gonna check if I can find it.

"The Komodo dragon is the largest living lizard in the world. These wild dragons typically weigh about 154 pounds (70 kilograms), but the largest verified specimen reached a length of 10.3 feet (3.13 meters) and weighed 366 pounds (166 kilograms). Males tend to grow larger and bulkier than females"

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/komodo-dragon

"The lizard grows to 3 metres (10 feet) in total length and attains a weight of about 135 kg (about 300 pounds). It digs a burrow as deep as 9 metres (29.5 feet)"

https://www.britannica.com/animal/Komodo-dragon

Growing up to a massive 3 metres in length and 80 kilograms in weight, the Komodo dragon is the largest species of lizard in the world

http://wildlife.durrell.org/animals/rept...do-dragon/
Komodos kills sometimes even buffalos because of venom.

In leopard vs komodo topic i said leopard because too agile for komodo and excellent predator. But hyena far less agiler and slower than leopard.

Komodo dragon can bite comfortably hyena and hyena dies at far less time than buffalo.

Komodo dragon also one of the fastest lizards. Up to 20 km/h and this is equal to running children speed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Uncia's post:
  • Melanosuchus
If the hyena gets closer, the komodo will quickly strike first at throat and weaken the hyene.
Hyena's only chance a skull bite.

Komodo 9/10.
(02-12-2019, 05:42 AM)Uncia Wrote: Komodos kills sometimes even buffalos because of venom.

Can you post some research about this, plz?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melanosuchus's post:
  • Uncia
(02-12-2019, 07:20 AM)Melanosuchus Wrote:
(02-12-2019, 05:42 AM)Uncia Wrote: Komodos kills sometimes even buffalos because of venom.

Can you post some research about this, plz?