Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Siberian Tiger
56.76%
21 56.76%
Eurasian Brown Bear
43.24%
16 43.24%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Siberian Tiger v Eurasian Brown Bear
But your knowledge does not come from 50 books about Tigers. If you dedicated as much time to analyze both sides equally, both from reliable and unreliable sources, you would likely find totally different results.

In the R.F.E., tigers do not prey on mature male brown bears. There remains not one verified confirmed account of a tiger ever killing a mature male brown bear. But mature male tigers have been killed by brown bears.

And what year would that be?

A Bear is not fast enough to take a big herbivore not head on. Whiile Tigers do prefer ambush, taking on a puny Deer is something they could easily do face to face.

You have not seen the two different videos of a grizzly taking on a caribou face-to-face? Just as they took on bulls. If you wear a face-mask on the back of your head, it will not stop a grizzly.

Or it could be another 2000 Bears killed by Lions, without counting in those killed by Tigers. Since  you can just assume 2000 Lions were killed and lost every single fight, I can do virce verca.  

According to author  Michel Pastoureau there are no records of the lion ever winning against a bear. 
 [Image: o63I2x0.jpg]
Quote: In the R.F.E., tigers do not prey on mature male brown bears. There remains not one verified confirmed account of a tiger ever killing a mature male brown bear. But mature male tigers have been killed by brown bears.
And even now, I have seen accounts posted before that disagrees with you. If you are going to use unreliable sources, you may just as well do it for the Tiger too.

Quote:2011
A historian from 2011? Much better than what I expected, but it remains a historian and not a researcher with an education on animals.

Quote:You have not seen the two different videos of a grizzly taking on a caribou face-to-face? Just as they took on bulls. If you wear a face-mask on the back of your head, it will not stop a grizzly.
I have, that is why I said it was not impressive. Bears are stamina users and are bad at sneaking up on stuff, they do like Wolves and start running when they see the prey, cats can't do that. If the Tiger believe that it has been seen, then it is meaningless to chase it, due to it not being able to chase the Deer for the next hour.
It is called saving energy.

Quote:According to author  Michel Pastoureau there are no records of the lion ever winning against a bear.
According to 1 author. There wouldn't be any Lion and Tiger vs Bear debates if people could not cherry pick unreliable sources of Bears losing in those old arena fights.
I'm going to stop here. Pointless. I know that there several land-based animals that can kill a grizzly in a face-off. Neither lion nor tiger happens to be one of them. I'm talking about winning in better than 10% of face-offs. But I also know that it grinds on the nerves of any big cat fan-boy to admit. I also know that there are lots of things that a big cat can do better than a grizzly. They are, in my opinion, the greatest land-based ( mammal ) athletes in the animal kingdom. I added mammal because I know some idiot would be typing in flea or some nonsense. 
[Image: o3orbid.png]
Quote:I'm going to stop here. Pointless. I know that there several land-based animals that can kill a grizzly in a face-off. Neither lion nor tiger happens to be one of them.
That is your unreliable opinion, not a fact.

Quote:But I also know that it grinds on the nerves of any big cat fan-boy to admit.
It also grinds on every Bear fan-boi to admit.

As for the pic, if the Bear is too fat, it becomes a worse fighter. Likewise, that Bear, if the comparison is true, seem to larger than an Eurasian Bear as well.
I have, that is why I said it was not impressive. Bears are stamina users and are bad at sneaking up on stuff, they do like Wolves and start running when they see the prey, cats can't do that

Rather hunting strategy may vary depending on the type of habitat .
For example

Muskox Bull Killed by a Barren-Ground Grizzly Bear,
Thelon Game Sanctuary, N . W. T.
ANNE GUNN’ and FRANK L. MILLER2
ABSTRACT. The carcass of an adult muskox bull (Ovibos moscharus) killed by a barren-ground grizzly bear (Ursus arctos richardsoni) was
found in the Thelon Game Sanctuary. It is suggested that adult muskox bulls along the Thelon River system have become prey for at least some grizzly bears that have learned to ambush them in dense vegetation.
Key words: muskoxen (Ovibos moscharus); grizzly bear (Ursus arctos richardsoni); predation
(02-18-2019, 02:10 AM)brobear Wrote: Or it could be another 2000 Bears killed by Lions, without counting in those killed by Tigers. Since  you can just assume 2000 Lions were killed and lost every single fight, I can do virce verca.  

According to author  Michel Pastoureau there are no records of the lion ever winning against a bear. 
 [Image: o63I2x0.jpg]

Still no footnotes/references from Pastoureau's book to cite, eh then, brobear?

You do realise he's an Art-historian, right? Not a Classicist, or Zoological historian.

& "...practically invincible." as Pastoureau airily opinines ( but crucially, does not footnote),
is in fact, practically worthless, as meaningful evidence of your assertions of bear superiority,
let alone your baseless claim of Pastoureau's supposedly suggesting:
"...there are no records of the lion ever winning against the bear." 

Actually, if you do want to check those old, awful sources of animal baiting, just compare the record
of contests between big panthera types against 'game' dogs, versus just how bears'd coped with dogs in the pit.

The savage way dogs were brutally destroyed, (or turned tail & ran), when in the few instances they were set on
real angry/violent big cats, (& which was much to the dismay of dog-fanciers), is in marked contrast to the
centuries of sordid cruelty of bear-baiting by dogs, where the bear was routinely worn down & wrecked.

As for posting images of a winterised full-fat, fluffed-fur bear, & attempting to imply it shows muscular power,
well, do you really want an image of a hairless bear put up?

One which will be a more realistic match to the close-furred lion?

No, of course you don't. You've previously delected just such an image from your D-o-t-B forum.
& that's why you want to leave this discussion, 'cause you can't do that here, aint that right, brobear?
why you want to leave this discussion bla bla bla... No.
I leave because in every known confrontation between a mature male brown bear and a tiger, the big cat comes out second best. I leave because there has never been one single confirmed case of a tiger ever killing a mature male brown bear. I leave because a mature male brown bear is simply too powerful a foe for any big cat yet the big cat fan-boys will never man-up and admit the truth. Arguing with radical biased juvenile fan-boys is a big waste of my time.
Now... continue with your pointless inconsequential fantasies. ( I know you will ).
Brobear, I support the brown bear over the tiger just like you do but I guess there comes a time to agree to disagree with those who think the opposite.
(02-22-2019, 01:44 PM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: Brobear, I support the brown bear over the tiger just like you do but I guess there comes a time to agree to disagree with those who think the opposite.

Well said..different researchers, different results, different articles, different scientific theory. Everyone has own opinion and different point of view that doesn't mean they are pointless.
(02-21-2019, 08:32 PM)brobear Wrote: why you want to leave this discussion bla bla bla... No.
I leave because in every known confrontation between a mature male brown bear and a tiger, the big cat comes out second best. I leave because there has never been one single confirmed case of a tiger ever killing a mature male brown bear. I leave because a mature male brown bear is simply too powerful a foe for any big cat yet the big cat fan-boys will never man-up and admit the truth. Arguing with radical biased juvenile fan-boys is a big waste of my time.
Now... continue with your pointless inconsequential fantasies. ( I know you will ).

There is also such a thing as looking at the tons of undeniable evidence and accepting the obvious. The big cat fan-bays are lying even to themselves. They cannot bring themselves to man-up to the truth. It is possible ( though dangerous ) for a lion or a tiger to kill a mature male grizzly by ambush. In a face-off, its a safe bet if you wager the farm and your bank account on the bear.
(02-24-2019, 06:04 PM)brobear Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 08:32 PM)brobear Wrote: why you want to leave this discussion bla bla bla... No.

There is also such a thing as looking at the tons of undeniable evidence and accepting the obvious. The big cat fan-bays are lying even to themselves. They cannot bring themselves to man-up to the truth. It is possible ( though dangerous ) for a lion or a tiger to kill a mature male grizzly by ambush. In a face-off, its a safe bet if you wager the farm and your bank account on the bear.

Dont you think you are bears fan bys?
No. I am not a biased fan-boy. At equal head-and-body length, which the Amur tiger and Amur brown bear pretty much are, the bear is greater in girth in limbs, torso, and neck. He is the stronger of the two.
[Image: 91e04c8d5e644493a918216e56b4301e.png]