Poll: Who will be victorious?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Roman
25.00%
1 25.00%
Spartan
75.00%
3 75.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman legionary vs Spartan
A Roman legionary (wearing lorica segmentata armour, carrying a scutum shield and armed with a pilum spear/javelin, gladius sword and dolabra axe)
[Image: th?id=OIP.qX2OEmKAVRx5HpZIz5AVBAHaK4&pid...=300&h=300]

vs

A Spartan (wearing bronze armour, carrying a shield and armed with a javelin, a dory spear, and a xiphos sword)
[Image: th?id=OIP.CyIvm0WcN84DNH7pOoxMLwHaE3&pid...=235&h=155] 
A very hard decision as both have the same weaponary.I depends on who is the better fighter.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=61]
A blue(Sapphire) fire hawk from planet Sapphire.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OldMan2018's post:
  • Lightning
I'd like to know Kazanshin's opinion on this one.
The spartans are pretty good with their defenses if you have watched 300 film.
I am gonna go with the Roman Legionary. Relatively more modern, better metals to work with.
A pine needle fell. The eagle saw it. The deer heard it. The bear smelled it
The Romans were better at strategy and tactics to win battles and wars involving whole armies.

But in a 1 vs 1 fight, I think the Spartan has the advantage because they trained from the age of 7 and were really strong and tough.
Fueh!? How did I not see this!?

Weaponry: both's weapons are much more suited for formation battles than duels, but the Roman has one advantage: the Arcus bow. An actual long range weapon, something the Spartan entirely lacks apart from darts and javelins. As such, I give the edge of weaponry to the Roman.

Armor: Easy, and I mean EAAAAASSYYYYYYY edge to the Roman. Why? Steel. And if you have half a brain, you know steel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bronze.

Overall, the Spartan may have all the training he wants to, but the Roman not only has better weapons and armor, but far more experience. The Spartan army never actually won any great military conflicts and was mainly a repressive army to keep the slave population under control, unlike the romans, who went out of their empire to extend said empire. Also, history speaks for itself: ome defeated Greece. The Roman would know exactly how to fight the Spartan, while the Spartan will struggle in the know-how of fighting a roman.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kazanshin's post:
  • Lightning, theGrackle
The Spartan would win a 1 vs 1 fight, they were some of the best trained warriors in ancient history. I must also mention that their shield was far more flexible in that it could best switched from a defensive weapon to an offensive one, and a highly dangerous one at that, almost instantly.
[Image: gif-king-58507a16b5aae897512395a9ba9c76ee.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mustang's post:
  • Lightning
Agreed with the statements above. A spartan would win due to better training. But if we pick a roman legion vs spartan legion, romans could win with more advanced strategy(and even in that case spartans could defeat them).
[Image: 1200px-Cryolophosaurus_skeleton_mount_FMNH.jpg]
I am going to give a more detailed response here.

1) Roman gladius sword vs Spartan xiphos sword: The Roman gladius sword is larger and can do more damage. Edge: Roman

2) Roman pilum javelin vs Spartan javelin: The pilum is more accurate and has a long metal shank, which means it penetrates the target deep. Also, if a pilum penetrates a shield, the blade tip bends and makes it difficult to pull the pilum out of the shield, thus rendering the shield useless. Edge: Roman

3) Roman dolabra axe vs Spartan dory spear: The spear has greater range but the axe can do more damage. Edge: Roman

4) Roman segmentata armour vs Spartan armour: Roman steel and iron armour is inferior to the medieval knightly steel and iron armour but it's still superior to bronze armour. Edge: Roman

5) Roman scutum shield vs Spartan aspis shield: The Spartan shield is more durable and can be used as an offensive weapon to bludgeon the enemy to death. Edge: Spartan

6) Roman training vs Spartan training: The Roman is better trained for a battle involving several thousand soldiers on both sides. But the Spartan is stronger and better trained for a 1 vs 1 fight. Edge: Spartan

Overall, I think it really depends on one main thing. Will the Roman pilum be able to put the Spartan shield out of action from a distance away? If yes, the Roman then wins. Otherwise, if the Spartan keeps his shield, when it comes to close-range combat, the Roman will strugge to get past the large shield and the Spartan can use his superior strength and the shield to bludgeon the Roman and perhaps cause him to drop his own shield and weapons as a result or fall onto the ground and get injured, and then slaughtered.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lightning's post:
  • Oculus Kageyamii
Both seems to have advantages that could cancel out the other. The romans might have a slight edge in an army but spartan would win one on one.
I disagree that the Roman armor was superior to the Spartan armor. The fact that i the outer layer was made from bronze doesn't make it less durable, given how to could take heavy loads of punishment without falling apart, and it's far more flexible and having greater surface area means it offered better protection
[Image: gif-king-58507a16b5aae897512395a9ba9c76ee.gif]
If the legionary is an experienced combat veteran of equal fighting ability, his superior arms & equipment will win out.

Addit: per the post below, so - Kazanshin is duly humbled by my superior knowing, & finally admits it! L.O.L..
Bleh! My opinion is filthy! I agree with Mondas the vile!
Roman should win this one. Better weapon.
Mmm, chocolate cake