Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Bighorn Sheep
100.00%
3 100.00%
Eastern Gorilla (female)
0%
0 0%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bighorn Sheep v Eastern Gorilla (female)
Bighorn Sheep - Ovis canadensis
The bighorn sheep (Ovis canadensis) is a species of sheep in North America named for its large horns. These horns can weigh up to 30 pounds (14 kg), while the sheep themselves weigh up to 300 pounds (140 kg). Ovis canadensis is one of three species of mountain sheep in North America and Siberia; the other two species being Ovis dalli, which includes Dall Sheep and Stone's Sheep, and the Siberian snow sheep Ovis nivicola. Wild sheep crossed the Bering land bridge from Siberia during the Pleistocene (~750,000 years ago) and subsequently spread through western North America as far south as Baja California and northwestern mainland Mexico. Bighorn sheep are named for the large, curved horns borne by the rams (males). Ewes (females) also have horns, but they are shorter with less curvature. They range in color from light brown to grayish or dark, chocolate brown, with a white rump and lining on the back of all four legs. Males typically weigh 127–316 pounds (58–143 kg), are 36–41 inches (91–100 cm) tall at the shoulder, and 69–79 inches (180–200 cm) long from the nose to the tail. Females are typically 75–188 pounds (34–85 kg), 30–36 inches (76–91 cm) tall and 54–67 inches (140–170 cm) long. Male bighorn sheep have large horn cores, enlarged cornual and frontal sinuses and internal bony septa. These adaptations serve to protect the brain by absorbing the impact of clashes.

[Image: Male-bighorn-sheep-in-natural-habitat.jpg]

Eastern Gorilla (female) - Gorilla beringei
The eastern gorilla (Gorilla beringei) is a species of the genus Gorilla and the largest living primate. At present, the species is subdivided into two subspecies. The eastern lowland gorilla (G. b. graueri) is the most populous, at about 5,000 individuals. The mountain gorilla (G. b. beringei) has only about 700 individuals. The eastern gorilla is a large hominid with a large head, broad chest, and long arms. It has a flat nose with large nostrils. The face, hands, feet and breast are bald. The fur is mainly black, but adult males have a silvery "saddle" on their back. When the gorilla gets older, the entire fur becomes grayish, much like the gray hair of elderly people. A female typically weighs 100 kg (220 lb) and stands 1.4 m (4.6 ft). 

[Image: Female-mountain-gorilla-eating-celery.jpg]

(10-09-2018, 08:57 PM)Lightning Wrote: Male bighorn sheep vs female Eastern gorilla
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
At similar weights, the sheep would win imo due those massive horns, they can do a lot of damage. Plus, the sheep has fighting experience from intraspecific conflict.

But I think the gorilla can put up a fight since she has decent jaws and can grapple with her dexterous hands.
Agree with Lightning, I think at parity the Bighorn is capable to make enough blunt trauma to win the match. But the Gorilla can surely make it a good fight.
Can we include the rocky mountain bighorn sheep or is it unnecessary?
I guess the sheep wins this based on what others have said.
(ง ื▿ ื)ว
I think neither is an efficient killer, and honestly I'm not sure who'd win this
[Image: gif-king-58507a16b5aae897512395a9ba9c76ee.gif]
Kind of an awkward scenario. But ultimately, poor gorilla
Depends how large are both animals, the relatively larger a animal is the more impactful is the collision. 

I don't think the gorilla's head can handle a ram to the head or the ribs, they can even ram at a such short distance:
[Image: yMZwRVT.jpg]

Not sure to who the favor though, if the gorilla doesn't stagger from receiving a full hit in the gut or the head then I would probably favor it since at that point it would restrain the bighorn sheep.

Blunt trauma can be lethal depending how hard is the hit, internal bleeding by hitting the organs and fracturing bones can either dramatically hinder the gorilla or outright kill it.
(10-10-2018, 11:47 AM)Aztec Wrote: Not sure to who the favor though, if the gorilla doesn't stagger from receiving a full hit in the gut or the head then I would probably favor it since at that point it would restrain the bighorn sheep.

I think it's going to be quite difficult for the gorilla to restrain the sheep, since the sheep is a strong and stable animal.
Dope vid Aztec but imagine how damaging would a short charge be against the gorilla. Against each other the sheeps charges are so powerful because of the amount of force being exerted on a relatively small area, ie the horns. Against the larger body area of the gorilla I think it might be more damaging since it’s like a piercing type damage or is it the other way around since it’s a wider area the force can be distributed. Never mind it’s like someone tackling you with their head into your gut which in football is actually pretty painful and dangerous which is why it’s not usually allowed. But this usually affects both people, not in this case since the sheep has evolved to negate that effect somewhat.
The night is dark and full of terrors
What if the Gorilla latches onto it and starts biting at it?.. The Sheep doesnt look much bigger
The lone wolf dies, while the pack survives...
I favor the sheep. It seems like it has much better weaponry. A silverback might be fairer.
Mmm, chocolate cake