Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Scottish Wildcat
52.94%
9 52.94%
Common Raccoon
47.06%
8 47.06%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Wildcat v Common Raccoon
Scottish Wildcat - Felis sylvestris grampia
By appearance the Scottish wildcat resembles a very muscular domestic tabby, the coat is made up of well defined brown and black stripes and usually has a ruffled appearance due to its thickness. The gait is more like that of a big cat and the face and jaw are wider and more heavy set than the domestic cat. Most apparent is the beautiful tail; thick and ringed with perfect bands of black and brown ending in a blunt black tip. The Scottish form is the largest in the wildcat family with males typically between 6-9kg (13-17lb) and females 5-7kg (11-15lb), around 50% larger than the average domestic cat. Fossil examples measuring 4 feet from nose to tail have been found; such a cat could have weighed around 14kg (30lb). Their body is an evolutionary perfection; eighteen razor sharp retractable claws and rotating wrists for gripping prey and climbing trees, immensely powerful thigh muscles for 30mph sprinting, the ability to fall from the highest pine tree, land on its feet and walk away unscathed, incredible stealth, balance and agility all wrapped in a thick, camoflaged and religiously cleaned coat with one downy layer to keep in the warm and another outer layer to keep out the rain and cold. 

[Image: BM-wildcat-076.jpg]

Common Raccoon - Procyon lotor
The raccoon, Procyon lotor (sometimes spelled as 'racoon'), also known as the common raccoon, North American raccoon, northern raccoon and colloquially as coon, is a medium-sized mammal native to North America. he body weight of an adult raccoon varies considerably with habitat; it can range from 2 to 14 kilograms (4 to 30 lb), but is usually between 3.5 and 9 kilograms (8 and 20 lb). The smallest specimens are found in Southern Florida, while those near the northern limits of the raccoon's range tend to be the largest. Males are usually 15 to 20% heavier than females. At the beginning of winter, a raccoon can weigh twice as much as in spring because of fat storage. It is one of the most variably sized of all mammals. The largest recorded wild raccoon weighed 28.4 kg (62.6 lb) and measured 140 cm (55 in) in total length, by far the largest size recorded for a procyonid. The raccoon is usually nocturnal and is omnivorous, with a diet consisting of about 40% invertebrates, 33% plant foods, and 27% vertebrates. It has a grayish coat, of which almost 90% is dense underfur, which insulates against cold weather. Two of its most distinctive features are its extremely dexterous front paws and its facial mask, which are themes in the mythology of several Native American tribes. Raccoons are noted for their intelligence, with studies showing that they are able to remember the solution to tasks up to three years later.

[Image: 640px-Curious_Raccoon.jpg]

(10-23-2018, 07:23 PM)StripeyTail101 Wrote: Scottish Wildcat Vs Common Raccoon
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
At average sizes, the cat seems to have a weight advantage, at max sizes, the raccoon. So I would say the wildcat wins at average sizes, and the raccoon at max.
^Agree. I also think the cat would win a parity fight
Why does the cat have a weight advantage if it weighs 9kg and the Raccoon 14kg?
Weight advantage at average sizes: 7.5 vs 6.25 (using the second weight-range for the racoon). Albeit a very slight one
I call it 50/50.

Its true that raccoons have killed house cats but here's the thing. Scottish wildcats are a lot tougher, bigger, more durable and are especially fiercer than their domestic counterparts. There's even an article that suggests that they can wound people and large dogs:
http://mentalfloss.com/article/85793/11-...h-wildcats

A raccoon would have a tougher time dealing with a wildcat than a domestic. Not saying it wouldn't stand a chance though. Raccoons are definitely al lot more durable and tenacious in fights and as others have stated already, have a slight weight and size advantage, though only slight.

So it could go either way really.
Actually I want to slightly edit my opinion above. I think this is close to 50/50 using a modern wildcat, but would be a decisive victory for an ancient wildcat, which were larger, and had no domestic genes at all
Since this was my first request, and I didn't fully decide who to vote for, I'll give it slightly (only slightly) to the Scottish wildcat. While I would definitely back a raccoon over a housecat, a wildcat is, as I said, larger, tougher, stronger and (as far as I know) has a stronger bite force. It won't be easy of course and it would get some injuries in the end but I think the ferocity of the wildcat can help it prevail here.
Hi everyone, new to the forum, first post.  Even the largest of today's Scottish Wildcats are right around 20lbs, where the biggest raccoons can get over 40lbs.  At those sizes it's doubtful the cat would even try to fight.  I'm sure the wildcat would predate on smaller, 10-15lb raccoons, but there would be some risk involved, as raccoons are durable and have weapons of their own.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brogan's post:
  • ScottishWildcat, theGrackle
When have raccoons killed adult domestic cats?
Raccoons are not great predators.... And i cant see one killing an adult domestic cat.
(01-03-2019, 05:21 AM)Felinepower Wrote: When have raccoons killed adult domestic cats?
Raccoons are not great predators.... And i cant see one killing an adult domestic cat.

'Urban' Raccoons Kill 10 Cats, Terrorize Washington State Neighborhood

Though, a Scottish Wild cat is far more formidable than any watered down domestic feline.
[Image: APVwP9.gif]
(01-03-2019, 05:21 AM)Felinepower Wrote: When have raccoons killed adult domestic cats?

Predation abilities doesn't translate to fighting skills, especially since none of the prey a domestic or wild cat kills is anywhere near as impressive as a raccoon. While it is hard to imagine a clean kill coming from the raccoon, it is even harder to imagine the cat killing the raccoon at all. 

Have we all forgotten this? On facebook the owner noted that the cat had to be put down due to its injuries. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lycaon's post:
  • Carnivorous Vulgaris
A better matchup is Bobcat v Raccoon.
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Taipan's post:
  • Carnivorous Vulgaris
Hope my friend ScottishWildcat don't mind if I agree with Lycaon and the boss here.
To put it simply: to me a Raccoon is tougher than Wildcat's weapons; and the Procyon's proven dangerousness and endurance would be too much in the end.

I think Raccoon is one of those animals that is difficult to give a balanced match, cause they are great fighters but not killers; you risk to either overrate or underrate them.
Bobcat v Raccoon maybe a better fight than SWC v Raccoon; the Bobcat is surely the favorite, but for all we know from many natural encounters, the Raccoon toughness makes it more balanced.
Don't underestimate the Scottish wildcat though. Its been said that they have injured large dogs and people.

(01-05-2019, 12:08 AM)Taipan Wrote: A better matchup is Bobcat v Raccoon.

How so? Don't bobcats prey on raccoons?