Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Cape Leopard
64.00%
16 64.00%
Common Chimpanzee
36.00%
9 36.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cape Leopard v Common Chimpanzee
Many female cape leopards are surprisingly smaller than a large male caracal. Caracals are formidable felines for their size too.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvrzjqcLyE2x1TQvejwfq...4IDvD2d3Tt]
OldMan

OldMan
[Image: main-qimg-f7b9c46a440bab64dfa0d89cc4160c19.webp]

Chimpenzee size comparison with man

and

[Image: leopard-prey-92194940.jpg]

Leopard killing kudu three times its weight. 

Does anyone have a size comparison of a cape leopard and a chimpenzee?
OldMan
(11-14-2018, 10:53 AM)Shin Wrote:
(11-12-2018, 04:39 PM)K9Boy Wrote: there was that account of a 35kg leopardess killing a 170kg+ kudu (or some other big antelope)

Yes I've posted the account in the 'Leopards: Impressive feats of Predation' thread. Here it is:

Then about five minutes later we saw her leap into the air, bounce once off the ground and jump on top of one of the adult female kudus. The kudu tried to turn around and run, but tripped over a small Kalahari apple leaf bush. The kudu fell to the ground with the female leopard securely attached to her throat. We re-positioned the vehicle and watched the female leopard suffocate the adult female kudu. It was incredible to see a +/- 35 kilogram (77 pound) female leopard take down an adult female kudu of +/- 170 kilograms (370 pounds)

[Image: 141nk1v.jpg]
[Image: 4zyhxd.jpg]

(02-10-2019, 12:15 AM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: [Image: leopard-prey-92194940.jpg]

Leopard killing kudu three times its weight. 

It's due to things like this I support the cape leopard.

Not that a deer is similar to a chimp or that chimps are whimps or anything but the photos just show how impressive the cat's killing ability is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lightning's post:
  • Old Tibetan Blue Bear
The caracal can also take down prey three times its weight. A big male caracal is larger than most cape leopard (at least the females). A match up between a cape leopard and caracal oul be a scaled down version of leopard vs cougar.

Lightning, I agree with your comment, however, diet doesn't always mean better fighter (altough I beleive the leopard is a good fighter).

Here is another picture:

[Image: gazell-85407233]
OldMan
Carnivorous Vulgaris, how about a picture comparison here too. Thanks.
OldMan
Young but fully grown leopards get intimidated by big male baboons way more easily than their male counterparts. There was an account of a big male baboon doing so but in the end the baboom strayed too far from its troop and was killed by the bicycle crossing male leopard. Chimps which are larger than baboon could at least defeat female cape leopards.
OldMan
Ageing Farmer Kills Leopard With Bare Hands In Kenya

Quote:A 73-year-old man used his bare hands to tear out the tongue of a leopard that attacked him in Kenya and killed it, a newspaper said Wednesday of an incident confirmed by the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS).
The 73-year-old Daniel M'Mburugu was working in his potato garden near Mount Kenya in the centre of the country when the animal, apparently aggressive, hurtled from nearby grass and charged towards him.
"It let out a blood-curdling snarl that made the birds stop chirping. I froze for some seconds, then it dawned on M'Mburugu, a peasant farmer, dropped the machete he was carrying and forced his hand into the leopard's mouth, pulling out its tongue in an act of self-defence, according to the report in the daily.
"A voice, which must have been from God, whispered to me to drop the panga (machete) and thrust my hand into its wide open mouth, I obeyed," he said, explaining that the leopard sank its teeth into his wrist, but would not let go.
As the struggle continued, M'Mburugu realised that the animal's "breathing was belaboured", prompting him to keep pulling the tongue.
Villagers only responded when the animal lay dying and he gained instant status as a village hero, the paper said.
"Wardens said the leopard attacked the man because it was injured elsewhere ... wild animals are usually very aggresive and attack unprovoked when injured," KWS spokesman Edward Indakwa told AFP.
"Nevertheless, he was lucky," he added of the incident that occurred early this month.
Incidents of human-wildlife conflict in the east African nation are common, mostly near game parks and national reserves.
http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Ageing...Kenya.html

Finally found this account. The leopard must also be old.
OldMan
It would be quite interesting to know if chimpanzees use his hands to strangle, it would be a very important factor especially considering that humans have killed cape leopard sized cats that way.
                               [Image: MG_6373-960x500_c.jpg]
Well a chimp is definately stronger than a 73 year old grandfather.
OldMan
Yes, but do chimps strangle? Like, a blue whale is definitely stronger than a 73 years old grandfather but it doesn't strangle anything because of it's lack of hands. Sure, a chimp has hands and has opposable thumbs, but does it use them to actually grab the opponent's throat and strangle them?

Off topi, but I saw this thread had 200+ posts and thought "Amaterasu's mercy, what kind of Total War is going on in here?" and then it turned out half of them were by Bluebear.
(02-11-2019, 03:13 PM)Kazanshin Wrote: Yes, but do chimps strangle? Like, a blue whale is definitely stronger than a 73 years old grandfather but it doesn't strangle anything because of it's lack of hands. Sure, a chimp has hands and has opposable thumbs, but does it use them to actually grab the opponent's throat and strangle them?

Good point. A blue whale or even the smallest of dolphins is stronger than a man in his prime let alone a 73 year old grandfather. The cetaceans, however, do not have any arms or legs (so I don't think its correct to compare a cetacean to a primate). Chimps, however, are able to hold things with their arms just like humans do and being stronger than humans capable of strangling much harder and they have even ' reconstructed' the faces of humans. I am yet to find an account of a chimp strangling anything. Take a look at this:

The Time Ronald Reagan Was Nearly Strangled By A Chimp

Quote:The fact that actor-turned-president Ronald Reagan once co-starred with a chimpanzee in Bedtime for Bonzo (1951) provided him with a long-running source of embarrassment after his political career took off decades later. The movie was, according to Johnny Carson, “a favorite of old movie buffs and Democrats” while other critics went on to cite Reagan as “the first president in history to be out-acted by a chimp.” In his own words, “I fought a losing battle with a scene-stealer with a built-in edge: he was a chimpanzee!” Making the film was certainly not monkey business; in fact, one unfortunate run-in with its leading ape nearly cost Reagan his life.

Known professionally as Peggy, the trained chimp in question was actually a female playing a role designed for the opposite sex (this was disguised by a tuft of fur carefully situated between her legs). According to witnesses, the vivacious and curious Peggy had been coached to perform hundreds of actions on command, including weeping, snarling, and puckering up.

One day on the set, Peggy’s natural inquisitiveness got the better of her. Spying Reagan’s necktie, she grabbed it with both hands and began to pull. Startled, the actor tried to back away, but the harder he resisted, the harder she pulled, nearly suffocating our fortieth president in the process. Eventually, Reagan was able to break free of her grasp—but by then, he later recalled, the knot in his tie was “as small as my fingernail.” Far too tight to be untied by hand, the garment had to be cut off Reagan’s neck by a nearby crew member.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/52538/tim...gled-chimp

I know the chimp wasn't using her hands to suffocate the actor but it shows what the chimp is capable of doing (similar feats humans can do with their hands).

Quote:Off topi, but I saw this thread had 200+ posts and thought "Amaterasu's mercy, what kind of Total War is going on in here?" and then it turned out half of them were by Bluebear.

These post were days apart. Some of them are accounts and videos on chimps aggression and the destruction they can potentially cause. I prefer you call me Old Man in the future Big Grin . Anyway here is another account:

First Evidence of Leopard Predating on Chimpanzee Found in Tanzania

Quote:For the first time, scientists have found evidence of a leopard eating a chimpanzee in the African nation of Tanzania.
Rarely, people have witnessed chimpanzees and leopards coming in contact in the jungles of Africa. On these occasions, the chimpanzees - which travel in groups, have been found to be aggressive and send loud calls warning their enemies. Earlier studies have also shown chimpanzees of being capable to defend themselves against the leopards.

In some cases, chimpanzees have been documented killing leopard cubs. In one case, a group of about 33 chimpanzees have been observed to surround a leopard den with a mother and a cub. The chimps reportedly dragged the cub and killed it. This was the first report of chimpanzees or any other primate species killing their potential predator's cub.

However, it seems chimpanzees do not win every time. In a first, scientists have found evidence of a leopard eating a chimpanzee in Tanzania's Mahale Mountains National Park. The wildlife park is one of the few places where the range of leopards and chimpanzees overlap with each other.
For the study, the research team collected faeces of African leopards from June to August 2012. In one of the droppings of a feline, researchers noticed kneecaps and toe bones. Using a DNA analysis, the team found that the bones belonged to a female adult chimp. However, researchers are yet to confirm if the leopard killed the chimpanzee and ate it, reported LiveScience. Based on these findings, researchers will re-examine three deep wounds sustained by three chimps over the past few years, the report said.
While the new study has given the first evidence of a leopard predating on a chimp, this is not the first case of a feline killing the primates. A study carried out in 1993 found evidence showing lions killing four chimpanzees at the Mahale Mountains National Park. Four samples of lion faeces showed the presence of chimpanzee remains, including hairs, bones, and a tooth.
The details of the findings are published online in the Journal of Human Evolution.
Below is a video showing a group of chimpanzees attacking an artificial leopard.

https://www.ibtimes.co.in/first-evidence...nia-472270
OldMan