Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Florida Panther
42.86%
3 42.86%
Sun Bear
57.14%
4 57.14%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida Panther v Sun Bear
(12-10-2018, 09:38 AM)Lightning Wrote:
Quote:https://academic.oup.com/beheco/article/...47/2263118

Read the last sentence of the second paragraph under "Puma monitoring and prey indices" under the "RESULTS" section.
Quote:https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2014...ack-bears/

Read the 7th paragraph. The paragraph right under the video.

Jest checked it out so what are your thoughts on it?

(12-10-2018, 09:38 AM)Lightning Wrote:
Quote:https://academic.oup.com/beheco/article/...47/2263118

Read the last sentence of the second paragraph under "Puma monitoring and prey indices" under the "RESULTS" section.
Quote:https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2014...ack-bears/

Read the 7th paragraph. The paragraph right under the video.

I just checked it out so what are your thoughts on it?
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheIndomitableCanine's post:
  • Lightning
To be honest, the cougar likely ambushed the black bear. Either way, revenge is sweet lol (since the bear previously stole the cougar's food).
[-] The following 2 users Like Lightning's post:
  • Black Ice, TheIndomitableCanine
It had to have been an ambush because the source gave little need to think either the cougar (since it managed to get away and come back just fine) or the bear (whom still hung around the kill without any indication it were severely wounded) was all that damaged in their initial scrap. Certainly the cougar wasn't since it decided to try and go for round two.

Poor sow probably didn't even realize what was happening till it was too late.
There are many types of people in this world; None of them are as smart as they think they are.
(12-10-2018, 05:40 AM)Lightning Wrote:
(12-09-2018, 12:12 PM)TheIndomitableCanine Wrote: Call me crazy but I could have swore that there was a report of a cougar killing a small female black bear that someone posted in Carnivora.

Yes there was and I'm the person who posted it. The female black bear had forced a female cougar off her kill and the cougar later came back an killed the bear. Th bear was described as average sized and the cougar was described as large.

Could a sun bear kill a female back bear?
(12-10-2018, 08:58 PM)Felinepower Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 05:40 AM)Lightning Wrote:
(12-09-2018, 12:12 PM)TheIndomitableCanine Wrote: Call me crazy but I could have swore that there was a report of a cougar killing a small female black bear that someone posted in Carnivora.

Yes there was and I'm the person who posted it. The female black bear had forced a female cougar off her kill and the cougar later came back an killed the bear. Th bear was described as average sized and the cougar was described as large.

Could a sun bear kill a female back bear?

Could a florida panther kill a tiger?
(12-10-2018, 09:15 PM)Kazanshin Wrote: Could a florida panther kill a tiger?

I'm not saying I favour the Florida panther on this match but I don't find sun bear killing the tiger account believable. Unlike the cougar killing the black bear account (which is from a modern scientific study), the sun bear killing tiger account is from an old eyewitness account. Old eyewitness accounts in general are filled with things that aren't believable, I.e. many accounts of leopards defeating and killing tigers, many accounts of cougars defeating and killing black and grizzly bears in face to face fights, a goat killing a tiger in less than a minute, a donkey killing an adult tiger in one kick and then another tiger in three kicks, a bulldog killing a tiger, many accounts of lone lions defeating and killing fighting bulls, many accounts of bears breaking bulls' spines with single paw swipes etc.

(12-10-2018, 08:58 PM)Felinepower Wrote: Could a sun bear kill a female back bear?

A male sun bear probably can kill a similar sized or smaller female black bear if he really wanted to.
The tiger wasn't described as anything noteworthy in that eyewitness account (which usually has exaggerated takes when they're full of crap) so I highly doubt it didn't happen. Could have been a young male whom overstepped his luck and got the short stick.

If the account said it was a large tiger or something like that it would be much easier to call it crap.
There are many types of people in this world; None of them are as smart as they think they are.