Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Grey Wolf
70.00%
7 70.00%
Giant Anteater
30.00%
3 30.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grey Wolf v Giant Anteater
Grey Wolf - Canis lupus
The Grey Wolf (Canis lupus) is the largest wild canid, males averaging between 70 and 110 pounds depending on subspecies. The Wolf has a specialized body that has made it one of the world's most efficient hunters. Its powerful neck is a very important adaptation: it has to be strong to support the wolf's large head and is crucial for bringing down prey. The skull is 31cm (12 inches) long and is armed with an impressive array of large canines and carnassial teeth which, when coupled with huge jaw muscles that are evident from the large sagittal crest and wide zygomatic arches, give it an incredible biteforce that is strong enough to break the bones of prey and even crack the femur of moose. Wolves primarily feed on medium to large sized ungulates (up to the size of bison 10–15 times larger than themselves), though they are not fussy eaters. Medium and small sized animals that may supplement the diet of wolves include marmots, beaver, hares, badgers, foxes, weasels, ground squirrels, mice, hamsters, voles and other rodents, as well as insectivores.

[Image: Grey-wolf-running-in-snow.jpg]

Giant Anteater - Myrmecophaga tridactyla
The Giant Anteater, Myrmecophaga tridactyla, is the largest species of anteater. It is the only species in the genus Myrmecophaga. It is found in Central and South America from Honduras to northern Argentina. Its fossil remains have been found as far north as northwestern Sonora, Mexico. It grows to a size of up to 7 feet (2.1 m) in length, with a 4-foot-long (1.2 m) head and torso, and a 3-foot-long (0.91 m) tail. Males weigh 33–41 kg (73–90 lb) and females weigh 27–39 kg (60–86 lb),making the giant anteater the largest extant species in its suborder. The head of the giant anteater, at 30 cm (12 in) long, is particularly elongated, even when compared to other anteaters. Despite its name, Myrmecophaga tridactyla, from the Greek meaning 'three-fingered ant eater', the anteater has five digits on each foot; however the middle three digits of the forefeet have elongated claws. These are extremely strong and are used to break open ant and termite mounds in order to feed, and provide effective defense against predators. The anteater walks on its knuckles in order to protect them, giving it a shuffling gait. Their wrist bones are adapted for knuckle-walking in much the same way as those of chimpanzees. The forefeet also have one other smaller claw, and the rear feet have five small claws.

[Image: Giant-anteater-running.jpg]

(12-27-2018, 12:50 AM)OldMan2018 Wrote: Sun bear vs giant anteater (posted on old carnivora proboards).

Males weigh 33–41 kg (73–90 lb) and females weigh 27–39 kg (60–86 lb),making the giant anteater the largest extant species in its suborder. The head of the giant anteater, at 30 cm (12 in) long, is particularly elongated, even when compared to other anteaters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_anteater

^ The Sunbear maybe too big. I'll use a smaller Carnivoran.
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
Wolf Wins Because of More powerful jaws but the anteater has claws that could do some damage to the wolf.
Slight edge to the wolf
The giant anteater might intimidate a lone wolf with its long claws than cam break an ant or termite nest, however, the wolf will win if it gets pass those defenses.
These Anteater like animals strike me as fairly slow and passive Animals, just going by their diet. I don't think it could keep up with a determind wolf.
A scratch from the anteater can inflict damage, but a wolf's bite would be devastating to the anteater. I think the long, slender head of the anteater would be an easy target. I can see the anteater winning in only the freak, one-off occurrences. The grey wolf would win a good majority of these encounters.
A pine needle fell. The eagle saw it. The deer heard it. The bear smelled it
Anteater

Based on my own experience and some informations.
(12-28-2018, 04:59 AM)Melanosuchus Wrote: Anteater

Can you share this information?
[-] The following 2 users Like Taipan's post:
  • Cryolophosaurus, Kazanshin
Giant Anteaters can kill Jaguars can't they?
(12-31-2018, 06:33 AM)MarlinMan113 Wrote: Giant Anteaters can kill Jaguars can't they?

As far as I know, it hasn't been recorded. And in any cases, we've seen sun bears killing tigers and leopard killing lions, so if an anteater can kill a jaguar on occasion, it doesn't mean much.
(12-31-2018, 06:33 AM)MarlinMan113 Wrote: Giant Anteaters can kill Jaguars can't they?

Based on unreliable hearsay.
I still say the Anteaters stands a solid chance as they are regularly known to slaughter pairs of hunting dogs.
(12-31-2018, 10:00 AM)Kazanshin Wrote:

As far as I know, it hasn't been recorded. And in any cases, we've seen sun bears killing tigers and leopard killing lions, so if an anteater can kill a jaguar on occasion, it doesn't mean much.

wtf type of logic is this? I'll tell you...it's called "non-reason"...seeing as how, a wolf has
got exactly zero chances of killing an adult Jaguar...
[Image: APVwP9.gif]
(01-02-2019, 01:22 PM)Shin Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 10:00 AM)Kazanshin Wrote:

wtf type of logic is this? I'll tell you...it's called "non-reason"...seeing as how, a wolf has
got exactly zero chances of killing an adult Jaguar...

An anteater's got exactly zero chances against an adult muskox. I guess it has no chance against the wolf either.
(12-28-2018, 03:33 PM)Taipan Wrote: [quote pid='34996' dateline='1545935350']
Anteater

Can you share this information?
[/quote]

Oh, sorry! I just saw your comment two days ago. But I was unable to post until today, for some reason!

So...

I am a biologist and veterinarian and work only with wildlife. The type of danger that we face with some animals usually shows certain pattern.

On a danger scale, anteaters worry me more than canids. Because they can hurt more in a single attack.  Of course, it is not an exact science. Hyenas can kill larger animals with the "wound and withdraw" strategy. And the wolf can kill the anteater with a bite on the neck. 

I vote for the tamandua, even though counterintuitively, because they defend themselves well from jaguars, cougars, and even killed people here in Brazil in recent years. 

This is a very weird animal, he is very unpredictable and is capable of making unexpected moves.

Obviously this is only my opinion, and as I said it is counterintuitive.

But considering the jaguar's respect for this animal, I vote for it.

(01-02-2019, 03:33 PM)Melanosuchus Wrote:  But I was unable to post until today, for some reason!

The 'some reason' was posting animal cruelty videos: https://carnivora.net/showthread.php?tid...5#pid35495
[-] The following 1 user Likes Taipan's post:
  • Melanosuchus