Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
European Cave Bear
100.00%
4 100.00%
Pyrotherium macfaddeni
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Cave Bear v Pyrotherium macfaddeni
European Cave Bear - Ursus spelaeus
The cave bear (Ursus spelaeus) was a species of bear that lived in Europe during the Pleistocene and became extinct at the beginning of the Last Glacial Maximum about 27,500 years ago. Both the name cave and the scientific name spelaeus derive from the fact that fossils of this species were mostly found in caves, indicating that this species spent more time in caves than the brown bear, which only uses caves for hibernation. Consequently, in the course of time, whole layers of bones, almost entire skeletons, were found in many caves. The cave bear had a very broad, domed skull with a steep forehead. Its stout body had long thighs, massive shins and in-turning feet, making it similar in skeletal structure to the brown bear. Cave bears were comparable in size to the largest modern day bears. The average weight for males was 400–500 kilograms (880–1102 pounds), while females weighed 225–250 kg (496–551 lbs). Of cave bear skeletons in museums, 90% are male due to a misconception that the female skeletons were merely "dwarfs". Cave bears grew larger during glaciations and smaller during interglacials, probably to adjust heat loss rate. Cave bears of the last ice age lacked the usual 2–3 premolars present in other bears; to compensate, the last molar is very elongated, with supplementary cusps. The humerus of the cave bear was similar in size to that of the polar bear, as were the femora of females. The femora of male cave bears, however, bore more similarities in size to those of kodiak bears.

[Image: holenbeer-1.7572d5.jpg]

Pyrotherium macfaddeni
Pyrotherium ('fire beast') is an extinct genus of South American ungulate, of the order Pyrotheria, that lived in what is now Argentina and Bolivia, during the Late Oligocene. It was named Pyrotherium because the first specimens were excavated from an ancient volcanic ash deposit. Fossils of the genus have been found in the Sarmiento Formation of Argentina and the Salla Formation of Bolivia. Possible South American descendants of the xenungulates, the complete study of the tarsus of Pyrotherium fails to support this relationship. In one study, derived characters were not seen in any mammal examined except the embrithopod Arsinoitherium from the Cenozoic of Africa. Whether this is due to common ancestry, or to the unusual mode of locomotion used by these animals (graviportal and plantigrade) remains to be seen. The vaguely elephant-like Pyrotherium species, P. macfaddeni was under 900 kg (2,000 lb). The living animal's heavy body was carried by robust legs. Pyrotherium also had a short trunk on its snout, and two pairs of flat, forward-facing tusks in the upper jaw, with a single pair in the lower jaw.

[Image: 484px-Pyrotherium-romeroi.jpg]

(01-11-2019, 12:10 AM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: Cave bear vs Pyrotherium  macfaddeni
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
A battle of the herivoures.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvrzjqcLyE2x1TQvejwfq...4IDvD2d3Tt]
OldMan
Size comparison
[Image: 484px-Pyrotherium-romeroi.jpg]
[Image: ursus-spelaeus-cave-bear-size.jpg]
Who do you favor OTBB?

Edit: as per theGrackle's post, I favor the cave bear. Not only does it have far better weaponry, Pyrotherium seems lacking in that department. It may take a while, but the ebar should eventually win.
I back the cave bear here. The pyrotherium lacks the size to trample the bear, and it's tusks do not look too impressive (especially with that proboscis in the way). It may take a while, but I think they bear ultimately wins.

p.s. ChocolateCake, I appreciate the comparisons you have been including in these match ups.
A pine needle fell. The eagle saw it. The deer heard it. The bear smelled it
[-] The following 1 user Likes theGrackle's post:
  • ChocolateCake123
I actually think Pyrotherium’s tusks look very impressive. Its dentition is reminiscent of that of Indian rhinos, which we know can deal some death. Without a great idea of size, im really not sure who to give this to.

Also “Pyrotherium” is a really badass name.
[Image: 1nKsIij.gif]
I also believe the pyrotherium has tusks that can do some damage and has thick skin to protect its vital organs and its jagular vains. This is going to be interesting.
OldMan
Quote:Who do you favor OTBB?

I favour the cave bear in the long run, however, he has better watch out when approaching his opponent which has jaws that can bite like a hippo.
OldMan