Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Spotted Hyena
33.33%
3 33.33%
Mountain Zebra
66.67%
6 66.67%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotted Hyena v Mountain Zebra
Spotted Hyena - Crocuta crocuta
Shoulder height: 70-91 cm (28-36 in)
Body length: 95-166 cm (38-65 in)
Weight: 40.5-81.7 kg (89-180 lb)
General information: The spotted hyena is a species of hyena native to Sub-Saharan Africa. It is the largest member of the Hyaenidae, and is the most social of the Carnivora in that it has the largest group sizes and most complex social behaviours. Its social organisation is unlike that of any other Carnivore, bearing closer resemblance to that of cercopithecine primates (baboons and macaques) with respect to group-size, hierarchical structure, and frequency of social interaction among both kin and unrelated group-mates. Spotted hyena society is matriarchal; females are larger than males, and dominate them. The spotted hyena is a highly successful animal, being the most common large carnivore in Africa. Its success is due in part to its adaptability and opportunism; it is both an efficient hunter and a scavenger, with the capacity to eat and digest skin, bone and other animal waste.

[Image: Spotted-hyaena-carrying-buffalo-leg.jpg]

Mountain Zebra - Equus zebra
The mountain zebra (Equus zebra) is a species in the family Equidae. It is native to south-western Angola, Namibia, and South Africa. The mountain zebra comprises two subspecies: Cape mountain zebra (E. z. zebra) and the Hartmann's mountain zebra (E. z. hartmannae). The mountain zebra has a dewlap, which is more conspicuous in E. z. zebra than in E. z. hartmannae. Like all extant zebras, mountain zebras are boldly striped in black or dark brown, and no two individuals look exactly alike. The whole body is striped except for the belly. In the Cape mountain zebra, the ground colour is effectively white, but the ground colour in Hartmann's zebra is slightly buff. Adult mountain zebras have a head-and-body length of 2.1 to 2.6 m (6 ft 11 in to 8 ft 6 in) and a tail of 40 to 55 cm (16 to 22 in) long. Wither height ranges from 1.16 to 1.5 m (3 ft 10 in to 4 ft 11 in). They weigh from 204 to 372 kg (450 to 820 lb). Mountain zebras live in hot, dry, rocky, mountainous and hilly habitats. They prefer slopes and plateaus as high as 1,000 m (3,300 ft) above sea level, although they do migrate lower during winter. Their preferred diet is tufted grass, but in times of shortage, they browse, eating bark, twigs, leaves, buds, fruit, and roots.

[Image: Cape-mountain-zebra-rear-view.jpg]

(01-12-2019, 04:08 AM)StripeyTail101 Wrote: Spotted Hyena Vs Wild Horse
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
Thanks Taipan!

Oh boy. The zebra has quite the size advantage over the hyena here. I think maybe two or more hyenas would give them the victory, but just one, I definitely favour an aggressive zebra.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StripeyTail101's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
I have seen single hyenas bring down adult wildebeast and topis but never a zebra one on one.
I saw this video before. But here we see hyenaS and zebra that looks like sick.

Equus zebra

Quote:I have seen single hyenas bring down adult wildebeast and topis but never a zebra one on one.

Even buffalos. But, as I said here " https://carnivora.net/showthread.php?tid...horn+sheep"  , hyenas focus on old  and poor condition animals.
Correct me if I am wrong but the buffalos were usually in some disadvantage position? There is a video where a buffalo was actually trapped in the mud.
I found information where was it written that spotted hyena was killed by antelope. I don't remember the specie of antelope. I also lost this wildlife site.

(01-13-2019, 11:45 PM)Forbiddenip Wrote: I found information where was it written that spotted hyena was killed by antelope. I don't remember the specie of antelope. I also lost this wildlife site.
That antelope is called bushbuck. Unlike most antelopes this species fights back and has hooves that can kill if it kicks the right place. It is dangerous for young leopards to kill this antelope and a hyena got kick in the thorax and died as the bushbuck hoof pierced a vital organ. It is on the malamala website about leopards. I lost the link too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OldGreenVulture's post:
  • Forbiddenip
(01-13-2019, 11:49 PM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote:
(01-13-2019, 11:45 PM)Forbiddenip Wrote: I found information where was it written that spotted hyena was killed by antelope. I don't remember the specie of antelope. I also lost this wildlife site.
That antelope is called bushbuck. Unlike most antelopes this species fights back and has hooves that can kill if it kicks the right place. It is dangerous for young leopards to kill this antelope and a hyena got kick in the thorax and died as the bushbuck hoof pierced a vital organ. It is on the malamala website about leopards. I lost the link too.

I remember that the domain name was with "africa".
(01-13-2019, 10:34 PM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but the buffalos were usually in some disadvantage position? 

Yep. Usually they are old or sick animals.  I've seen videos of hyenas biting buffaloes on the testicles, killing them. But these buffaloes seem weak.
I'm not sure.

The zebra seems to have more advantages over a hyena on paper. 

But then so does a wildebeest:

https://youtu.be/E0kNW4KQCoY
The wildebeast did put up a good fight but in the end it died a slow grusome death.
This is why I always say a predator would likely defeat a herbivore unless the herbivore is waay bigger/is exceptionally deadly (like a porcupine)/it's a very impressive herbivore (like a boar) against a really unimpressive predator (like a cheetah).
For what it's worth, hyenas when hunting do actually tend to avoid targeting stallions. They're very aggressive and protective, so hyenas often distract them to go after their harem.

(01-21-2019, 07:17 PM)Jake Simmonds Wrote: and no zebras dont kick

one hit KO

piggy made a mistake

right on the chin
Quote: zebra may be larger but it has no way of killing hyena, and no zebras dont kick
What? It is almost universally known that a lucky Zebra kick could kill a Lion. We have seen them before attempt to kick back.