Poll: Who will prevail?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Alexander conquers India
50.00%
1 50.00%
Alexander meets his match
50.00%
1 50.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alexander the Great vs The Nanda Empire
After conquering the vast Persian Empire and several other nations and defeating the petty Indian King Porus at the Battle of Hydaspes, the undefeated Macedonian King Alexander and his 40,000 infantry and 6000 cavalry? were at the western frontiers of Ancient India. 

But his men, exhausted from years of war and homesickness and hearing that, across the River Ganges, awaits them the mighty Nanda Army with 200,000 infantry, 80,000 cavalry, 8000 chariots and 6000 war elephants, no longer had the will to continue eastwards and managed to convince Alexander that they should return home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_cam...f_the_army

But I'm wondering what is likely to have happened if Alexander's men were willing to follow their leader into more wars of conquest and if the Macedonian Army did make a historical crossing of the Ganges to face the immense Eastern Empire?
(01-16-2019, 12:15 AM)Lightning Wrote: After conquering the vast Persian Empire and several other nations and defeating the petty Indian King Porus at the Battle of Hydaspes, the undefeated Macedonian King Alexander and his 40,000 infantry and 6000 cavalry.....

Alexander did not defeat Porus. It was a mutual compromise from both sides as both faced big losses. Alexander was impressed by Porus' bravery and wanted to form an alliance, while Porus initially resisted, but was later advised by one of his friends sent by Alexander. When they met each other, Alexander asked Porus how he wanted to be treated, with Porus replying with the famous quote "I wanted to be treated as a King would be."

As for the match, looking at the military power and the war elephants, I would favour the Nanda Empire.
Yesterday was history, 
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift...
That is why it is called the present... 
(01-16-2019, 02:52 AM)Acinonyx Wrote: Alexander did not defeat Porus. It was a mutual compromise from both sides as both faced big losses. Alexander was impressed by Porus' bravery and wanted to form an alliance, while Porus initially resisted, but was later advised by one of his friends sent by Alexander. When they met each other, Alexander asked Porus how he wanted to be treated, with Porus replying with the famous quote "I wanted to be treated as a King would be."

Yes but, if you read about the battle, you'll see the Macedonians were winning and the Indians were sure to have suffered a crushing defeat if Porus hadn't decided to meet Alexander. And the Indian casualties were much higher than Macedonian casualties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_...pes#Battle

Here is a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_dHUJmOF8

(01-16-2019, 02:52 AM)Acinonyx Wrote: As for the match, looking at the military power and the war elephants, I would favour the Nanda Empire.

Alexander had defeated much larger enemy armies in the past, mainly in the form of Persians. Plus, I believe the Macedonians had superior technology to the Indians, and Alexander is such a brilliant general, just look at his battle record:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_...tle_record

So I certainly wouldn't underestimate the Macedonians.

But what gives the Nanda their greatest chance, imo, is their war elephants. Although Alexander had faced elephants before, it was a tiny fraction of the number the Nandas have. Plus, the elephants had caused significant amount of the Macedonian casualties in the Battle of Hydaspes, where Alexander's Army suffered higher casualties than in any other battle iirc.

So, overall, with this many elephants, I think the Nandas are likely to defeat Alexander's 50,000 men force.

However, if Alexander really did end up in a war with the Nandas and saw that his troops aren't coping, he would have likely got reinforcements. And, with him being the King of such a large empire now, he could have possibly recruited as many soldiers as the Nandas or even more. And, with equal numbers, Alexander is almost certain to win.

So, imo, it depends. If the Nandas can use their huge numbers and tremendous elephant force to defeat Alexander in a single decisive battle where Alexander himself is killed or captured, then the Nandas will win. However, if this is to turn into a long drawn out war, then Alexander would likely win by recruiting more soldiers from his large empire and depriving the Nandas of their numerical advantage.