Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lion King: Animal Ethics in Film
Wanted a thread to discuss the most click-baity hot-button topics surrounding this most classic of Disney movies (but not the best, I mean have you SEEN Lilo and Stitch?) that manages to worm their way into every Cracked/Buzzfeed article I've ever seen. You know the ones:
  • "Why do the animals bow down to an animal that's going to eat them? That's not right!"
  • "Hyenas get unfair treatment in this movie. They were just hungry!"
  • "Scar was really the good guy and Mufasa was evil!"
And I mean, I personally don't agree with any of the above, but this is a topic that always seems to spark discussion: why are some animals more equal than others?
Isn't the fact that the animals aren't equals a rather realistic thing anyway? Both in history and modern times?

Also, Scar was ready to throw the lives of the Lionesses and Hyenas away if it meant saving himself, which he attempted to do with both.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ryo's post:
  • Kazanshin
Scar was once a lion guard but he lost his power after killing his team when they refuse to help him usurp the throne.
No more opinions on this one?
(02-10-2019, 12:13 PM)Ryo Wrote: Isn't the fact that the animals aren't equals a rather realistic thing anyway? Both in history and modern times?

Also, Scar was ready to throw the lives of the Lionesses and Hyenas away if it meant saving himself, which he attempted to do with both.

Yeah, but the minute you anthropomorphise animal relations, which is completely necessary for telling a compelling story with non-humans, the natural "segregation" of nature starts to look more...problematique. I've always justified it like, if you're going to make a movie about lions, of course your villains are hyenas, the same way that if I made a movie about zebras than there would probably be a lion villain. 

Plus it's kind of subtly made clear (so its easy for a lot of lazy buzzfeed articles to overlook) that the hyenas are like a "metaphor" for...idk overconsumption destroying the environment or something, so of course they would be villains in a movie where the overarching theme is environmental responsibility. BUT the tricky human side of it comes in when you consider they're a totally different species (i.e. race),  live in a kind of ramshackle and forbidden ghetto part of the kingdom, and the ones that are smart enough to talk are voiced by black and mexican actors...lmao yikes
That is true. Either all animals have human personality and can talk, and then it is just a very brutal world they live in.
Or some of them keep their ordinary animal intelligence which the herbivores often do (tho they changed between dumb animals to intelligent voting beings with opinions on treacherous Lions.
I don't mind either, it just becomes a movie you should not think too much into, or a movie for a bit older audince.

Throwing the Hyenas out of the pridelands could be seen as racism. Buuuut it is not unrealistic in human terms since we have done similar things in reality, likewise do Lions seems to have a more natural grudge towards Hyenas than other carnivores.

I recall the male Hyena Banzai was Mexican, while Shenzi was just noted as black. And I don't see what would be wrong with that. They were claimed as stereo types, but it is not their faulth that they were from the origin that they were.
(02-17-2019, 12:44 PM)ScottishWildcat Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 12:13 PM)Ryo Wrote: Isn't the fact that the animals aren't equals a rather realistic thing anyway? Both in history and modern times?

Yeah, but the minute you anthropomorphise animal relations, which is completely necessary for telling a compelling story with non-humans, the natural "segregation" of nature starts to look more...problematique. I've always justified it like, if you're going to make a movie about lions, of course your villains are hyenas, the same way that if I made a movie about zebras than there would probably be a lion villain. 

Plus it's kind of subtly made clear (so its easy for a lot of lazy buzzfeed articles to overlook) that the hyenas are like a "metaphor" for...idk overconsumption destroying the environment or something, so of course they would be villains in a movie where the overarching theme is environmental responsibility. BUT the tricky human side of it comes in when you consider they're a totally different species (i.e. race),  live in a kind of ramshackle and forbidden ghetto part of the kingdom, and the ones that are smart enough to talk are voiced by black and mexican actors...lmao yikes

If Buzzfeed doesn't find a silly way to analyze a childhood favorite film, then it talks about poop.

Quote:The Definitive Ranking Of Poop
https://www.buzzfeed.com/adamellis/defin...ng-of-poop

Quote:19 Things You'll Just Get If You're A Girl Who Loves To Poo

https://www.buzzfeed.com/remeepatel/xx-t...ves-to-poo

Quote:15 Poop Horror Stories That Will Make You Feel Better About Yourself

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kaylayandoli/hurbly-grblies

Quote:15 Tumblr Posts About Poop To Read While You're On The Toilet
https://www.buzzfeed.com/sarahaspler/tum...the-toilet

This silly website is now laying off its staff.

Quote:It certainly has been a tough week at BuzzFeed. A week after Robert Mueller’s office raised doubts about the news org’s report that Donald Trump ordered his lawyer-fixer Michael Cohen to lie to Congress comes word that the one-time poster child for pure-digital growth plans to lay off a reported 200 staffers, or 15% of its work force.

Related
https://deadline.com/2019/01/buzzfeed-la...202540543/

Can't wait to see the website fall:

[Image: HIEtqFm.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like ApexBoy's post:
  • Ryo, ScottishWildcat
(02-17-2019, 12:44 PM)ScottishWildcat Wrote:

I refuse to not enjoy this movie if only to spite this far-reaching nonsense. Not you, of course. Just the premise. 

As a kid, I liked the hyenas and loved the lions. As a jaded adult, I love the hyenas and love the lions. And weren't some of the lions voiced by black actors too? The royal family? So what accent would have been fitting for the hyenas? A southern U.S accent? Perhaps some garbled Irish accent? I don't understand why this is a problem.
[Image: d3ac5db641914961a4a841f7925831ab.gif]