Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphin
100.00%
4 100.00%
Jaekelopterus rhenaniae
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphin v Jaekelopterus rhenaniae
Indo-Pacific Bottlenose Dolphin - Tursiops aduncus
The Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops aduncus) is a species of bottlenose dolphin. This dolphin grows to 2.6 metres (8.5 ft) long, and weighs up to 230 kilograms (510 lb). It lives in the waters around India, northern Australia, South China, the Red Sea, and the eastern coast of Africa. Its back is dark grey and its belly is lighter grey or nearly white with grey spots. Until 1998, all bottlenose dolphins were considered members of the single species T. truncatus. In that year, the Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin was recognized as a separate species. The Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin is generally smaller than the Common Bottlenose Dolphin, has a proportionately longer rostrum, and has spots on its belly and lower sides. It also has more teeth than the Common Bottlenose Dolphin — 23 to 29 teeth on each side of each jaw compared to 21 to 24 for the Common Bottlenose Dolphin. There is evidence the Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin may actually be more closely related to certain dolphin species in the genera Stenella and Delphinus, especially the Atlantic spotted dolphin (S. frontalis), than it is to the Common Bottlenose Dolphin. Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphins feed on a wide variety of fish and cephalopods (particularly squid).

[Image: Indian-Ocean-bottlenose-dolphin-swimming.jpg]

Jaekelopterus rhenaniae
Jaekelopterus rhenaniae ("Otto Jaekel's wing from the Rhineland") is an extinct species of the Eurypterida (sea scorpions). At an estimated length of 2.5 meters (8.2 feet), it is one of the two largest arthropods ever discovered (the other is a giant millipede-like animal, Arthropleura, although which animal was larger is unclear). The second largest eurypterid known is Pterygotus. Jaekelopterus lived approximately 390 million years ago. Although called a "sea scorpion", it is speculated to have lived in fresh water rivers and lakes, rather than in saltwater seas. The animal was described by Simon Braddy and Markus Poschmann of the University of Bristol in the journal Biology Letters (November 2007); they found a 46 cm chelicera (claw-like mouth part), and estimated the total size of the animal based on the proportions of this claw. When extended, the chelicerae would have added another meter to its length.

[Image: original.png]

(02-08-2019, 11:07 PM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: Indo pacific bottlenose dolphin(one of my favourite) vs sea scorpion, jaekelopterus rhenaniae
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
Thanks Taipan. The indo pacific bottlenose dolphin will outmanuver the sea scorpion and ram at it or whipit with its tail. Most times the dolphin will manage to chase it off unless it is careless enough to go near the more heavily armored scorpions weapons.

The sea scorpion actually lives in the fresh waters. Perhaps I should have choosen an amazon or pink river dolphin instead. The pink river dolphin would have less defenses against the arthropod as it does not have as much blubber to protect its vital organs.

Yes, Jaekelopterus was one of the sea scorpions that ventured into freshwater, and was the largest eurypterid in terms of length, not sure about weight though. But unfortunately, as much as I love the eurypterid, I have to say that this is a big mismatch. First and foremost, J. rhenaniae would've hunted prey about 1/3 or 1/4 its size and that included early fish and other arthropods. And in freshwater which mind you, is smaller than the seas the first eurypterids used to roam. Secondly, despite the size which may make you think that this would be a good match, eurypterids or more specifically, eurypterines (aka winged eurypterids), are thought to be pretty light for their size in order to be fast and efficient predators of the animals that they could've caught. Most, if not all of them were predatory for a reason and for such a long time too.

In other words, this is a mismatch because the eurypterid is outclassed in weaponry and is outweighed by the dolphin.
(ง ื▿ ื)ว
Are Thou Sleepy, thanks for your comment. I guess replacing the indo bottlenose dolphin with the berrunan dolphin or the common bottlenose dolphin would be a mismatch in favour of the cetaceans Wink .
Dolphins by the way also hunt small prey in general though the bottlenose dolphins attack and kills other dolphins so I won't exactly use diet to indicate a mismatch by the way.
(Sorry for taking so long, Blue Bear, but now I can comment)

The fight could drag on a bit, as neither has great weapons for killing the other. Also, unless the water is really shallow, the dolphin can evade pretty much anything the eurypterid has. But ultimately, I think the dolphin should win nearly every time. I can envision it ramming the eurypterid until it stops moving.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jinfengopteryx's post:
  • OldGreenVulture
Cetaceans are quite underrated, but it's reasonably clear why. Most toothed usually swallow their prey as for their teeth were meant to grab and catch not tear and slice like sharks do. So far there's only two species of dolphins that has been known to chew food, the orca and false killer whale. But I bet if bottlenose dolphins had teeth like their bigger cousins, I would favour them over most shark species close to their size.

I know it's about a scorpion not sharks, but I just think of sharing my opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sky Lemon Panther's post:
  • OldGreenVulture
Bottlenose dolphins are actually aggressive towards sharks and can be very territorial deappite their cute demeanour. They would probably react aggressively towards a sea scorpion too.

Thanks for your comments guys.
This gets me wondering. Have dolphins preyed on remarkably large crabs or crustaceans before? It would give an idea of the damage one is capable of causing with bites, although they wouldn't be the most effective weapon to use against an arthropod like Jaekelopterus.
(ง ื▿ ื)ว
Bottlenose dolphins have killed octopus and other dolphins. The largest modern day crustacean is weaker than dolphins which are smaller than the bottlenose dolphin.
Crustaceans are not immune due to their soft underparts.
(02-16-2019, 05:37 PM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: Bottlenose dolphins have killed octopus and other dolphins. The largest modern day crustacean is weaker than dolphins which are smaller than the bottlenose dolphin.
Crustaceans are not immune due to their soft underparts.

Considering Jaekelopterus's closest living relative is the horseshoe crab, it probably would've had no soft underparts.
(ง ื▿ ื)ว
I almost forgot about the horseshoe crab. It is one of the few animals with bright blue blood like the octopus:

Octopus have strong jaws to crack the shell of crustaceans. Back to topic, crabs are included in the diet of bottlenose dolphins:

Quote:When we specifically talk about the common bottlenose dolphins, they mainly feed on small fish, but they can also look for squid, crab, octopus, shrimp or any other small animals. It is very interesting to know that, even though they have teeth, they don’t chew their food but swallow it completely. How do they do that? What they do is throw out saltwater with their tongue and throat muscles and push the fish inside.
https://www.dolphinaris.com/what-do-dolphins-eat/