Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Carcharodontosaurus saharicus
75.00%
3 75.00%
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
25.00%
1 25.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carcharodontosaurus saharicus v Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
Carcharodontosaurus saharicus
This huge meat eater was 45 feet long (5 feet longer than T-rex) and weighed 8 tons, making it one of the largest carnivores that ever walked the earth. This African carnosaur had a gigantic 5’4" long skull and enormous jaws with 8" long serrated teeth. It walked on two legs, had a massive tail, bulky body and short arms ending in three-fingered hands with sharp claws. Carcharodontosaurus is one of the longest and heaviest known carnivorous dinosaurs, with various scientists proposing length estimates ranging between 12 and 13 m (39-43.5 ft) and weight estimates between 6 and 15 metric tons. Its long, muscular legs, and fossilized trackways indicate that it could run about 20 miles per hour, though there is some controversy as to whether it actually did, a forward fall would have been deadly to Carcharodontosaurus, due to the inability of its small arms to brace the animal when it landed. Carcharodontosaurus was a carnivore, with enormous jaws and long, serrated teeth up to eight inches long. 

[Image: 640px-Carcharodontosaurus.png]
Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
Spinosaurus is a genus of theropod dinosaur which lived in what is now North Africa, from the lower Albian to lower Cenomanian stages of the Cretaceous period, about 112 to 97 million years ago. Spinosaurus may be the largest of all known carnivorous dinosaurs, even larger than Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus. Estimates published in 2005 and 2007 suggest that it was 12.6 to 18 metres (41 to 59 ft) in length and 7 to 20.9 tonnes (7.7 to 23.0 short tons) in weight. The skull of Spinosaurus was long and narrow like that of a modern crocodilian. Spinosaurus is thought to have eaten fish; evidence suggests that it lived both on land and in water like a modern crocodilian. The distinctive spines of Spinosaurus, which were long extensions of the vertebrae, grew to at least 1.65 meters (5.4 ft) long and were likely to have had skin connecting them, forming a sail-like structure, although some authors have suggested that the spines were covered in fat and formed a hump. Multiple functions have been put forward for this structure, including thermoregulation and display. Dal Sasso et al. (2005) assumed that Spinosaurus and Suchomimus had the same body proportions in relation to their skull lengths, and thereby calculated that Spinosaurus was 16 to 18 meters (52 to 59 ft) in length and 7 to 9 tonnes (7.7 to 9.9 short tons) in weight. The Dal Sasso et al. estimates were criticized because the skull length estimate was uncertain, and (assuming that body mass increases as the cube of body length) scaling Suchomimus which was 11 meters (36 ft) long and 3.8 tonnes (4.2 short tons) in mass to the range of estimated lengths of Spinosaurus would produce an estimated body mass of 11.7 to 16.7 tonnes (12.9 to 18.4 short tons).

[Image: Art_Spinosaurus_c8082e51-f8fa-4e28-85b7-...1448949543]

(02-17-2019, 02:28 AM)Jurassicdangerousdinosaur Wrote: How about a match up that might of happened every now and then in times of desperation Carcharodontosaurus vs Spinosaurus
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
The carchadodontosaurus will win as it can open its mouth wider despite having smaller arms than the spinosaurus.
I wouldn't count the size of arms as a significant factor, most dinosaurs had a very small arm turn ratio. Carcharodontosaurus would mostly rely on it's head as a weapon, and I think that it would most likely win due to being a more land based animal(BTW, if all spinosaurids were bipedal, why would Spinosaurus itself need to be quadrapedal? Were any spinosaurid hind legs discovered to prove that they were that small?).

Here are the discovered remains of Suchomimus and Baryonyx. It is obvious that these spinosaurids didn't have that ridiculously short hind legs. Spinosaurus once was depicted as a scaled up suchomimus, but where did the idea of it's short legs come from? Did it come from the discovery of such legs in other spinosaurid? I feel like I totally missed something.
[Image: Suchomimus_and_Baryonyx.jpg]
[Image: 1200px-Cryolophosaurus_skeleton_mount_FMNH.jpg]
The short back legs of Spinosaurus were finally recovered back in 2014 by Nizar Ibrahim and his team and it has been proven that Spinosaurus does have short back legs you can read about that here https://qr.ae/TUhgNL and if you want a really good look of the most current understanding of what the skeleton of Spinosaurus looks like i recommend Franoys https://www.deviantart.com/franoys/art/S...-706405411 Scott Hartman did think the legs for the skeleton were scaled to short but then Nizar got in touch with Scott and it was settled the short back legs were scaled the right way and Spinosaurus is indeed short legged you can read that here http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/aqua...nsd9182014

Spinosaurus comes from a later part of the spinosauridae family this includes oxalaia and maybe sigilmassasaurus these animals are theorized to have similar proportions to the Ibrahim Spinosaurus because they are more suited for a semi aquatic life style. Baryonix and Suchomimus come from an earlier part of the family known as the Baryonychinae these animals were not quite as specialized for a semi-aquatic lifestyle that's why they don't have the same kind of body designs to the later Spinosaurs.

There are still a ton of questions regarding spinosaurus but soon Nizar will be releasing new research regarding it and its family hopefully it will answer some questions we have with Spinosaurus but right now Spinosaurus is bipedal but short legged.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jurassicdangerousdinosaur's post:
  • Cryolophosaurus
(02-20-2019, 07:01 AM)Jurassicdangerousdinosaur Wrote: There are still a ton of questions regarding spinosaurus but soon Nizar will be releasing new research regarding it and its family hopefully it will answer some questions we have with Spinosaurus but right now Spinosaurus is bipedal but short legged.

I've been waiting for this since 2015.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Melanosuchus's post:
  • Jurassicdangerousdinosaur
And me aha i have been told the research should further prove that Spinosaurus was indeed semi aquatic and might still be quadrupedal, but we just need to wait i guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jurassicdangerousdinosaur's post:
  • Melanosuchus
Thanks for the links. Since the hind legs of Spinosaurus are discovered, I think in a hypothetical fight between Spinosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus, victory would come to the terrestrial carnosaur(on land, of course).
[Image: 1200px-Cryolophosaurus_skeleton_mount_FMNH.jpg]
Your welcome and i agree on land Carcharodontosaurus would have the advantage.