Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Moros defeats 73 kg (161 lb) Deinonychus
20.00%
1 20.00%
73 kg (161 lb) Deinonychus defeats Moros
40.00%
2 40.00%
Moros defeats 100 kg (220 lb) Deinonychus
0%
0 0%
100 kg (220 lb) Deinonychus defeats Moros
40.00%
2 40.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deinonychus antirrhopus v Moros intrepidus
Deinonychus antirrhopus
Based on the few fully mature specimens, Deinonychus could reach 3.4 metres (11.2 ft) in length, with a skull length of 410 mm (16.1 in), a hip height of 0.87 metres (2.9 ft) and a weight of 73 kg (161 lb), though there is a higher estimate of 100 kg (220 lb) Its skull was equipped with powerful jaws lined with around sixty curved, blade-like teeth. Studies of the skull have progressed a great deal over the decades. Ostrom reconstructed the partial, imperfectly preserved, skulls that he had as triangular, broad, and fairly similar to Allosaurus. Additional Deinonychus skull material and closely related species found with good 3D preservation show that the palate was more vaulted than Ostrom thought, making the snout far narrower, while the jugals flared broadly, giving greater stereoscopic vision. The skull of Deinonychus was different from that of Velociraptor, however, in that it had a more robust skull roof like that of Dromaeosaurus, and did not have the depressed nasals of Velociraptor. Both the skull and the lower jaw had fenestrae (skull openings) which reduced the weight of the skull. In Deinonychus, the antorbital fenestra, a skull opening between the eye and nostril, was particularly large.

[Image: G124%20Deinonychus_big.jpg]

Moros intrepidus
Moros (meaning "impending doom") is a genus of tyrannosauroid theropod from the Late Cretaceous Cedar Mountain Formation of Utah. It contains a single species, M. intrepidus. The generic name is derived from the Greek Moros (an embodiment of impending doom), in reference to the establishment of the tyrannosauroid lineage in North America. The specific name is derived from the Latin word intrepidus ("intrepid"), referring to the hypothesized dispersal of tyrannosauroids throughout North America following Moros. Moros was a small-bodied, cursorial tyrannosauroid with an estimated weight of about 78 kg (172 lb) and a ~1.2-m limb length, M. intrepidus therefore ranks among the smallest Cretaceous tyrannosauroids. Moros represents the earliest known diagnostic tyrannosauroid material from the Cretaceous of North America by a margin of about 15 million years.

[Image: 1-newspeciesof.jpg]

(02-26-2019, 11:36 AM)Old Tibetan Blue Bear Wrote: Deinonychus vs moros

People can vote twice based on the two weight estimates for Deinonychus.
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
Even though the Moro is built for running as Jifeng pointed out, I still believe the little tyranosaur has a powerful bite for its size that can crush the lighter bones of the deinonychus. At parity the moros should win.
I favor the Deinonychus at both sizes.

Bite force is difficult, as all we have are a leg and a few teeth. The teeth indeed had unambiguous similarities with those of the mighty T. rex, but we don't know when exactly tyrannosauroids evolved their bite force. If it was ecologically more comparable to Ornithomimus than Tyrannosaurus (as the description paper claims), maybe that's also reflected by its bite force.

Anyway, regardless of how good its bite was, I favor Deinonychus because it would most likely get the first bite, being a better grappler and all.

I like matchups with Moros though. Being a highly cursorial tyrannosauroid, it is a very interesting animal, even though so little is know about it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jinfengopteryx's post:
  • Cryolophosaurus
Quote:I like matchups with Moros though. Being a highly cursorial tyrannosauroid, it is a very interesting animal, even though so little is know about it.

Agreed. I'd imagine that, of course, it had to have had considerable strength being 78 kg and all, but speed seems to have been more of its thing. Not that that's entirely a bad thing; that fleet-footedness could be used to its advantage.
[Image: 9wf8nho.png]
The moros is pretty intriguing in my opinion. I hope more info on the little t rex comes up in the near future.
Moros definitely wasn't a typical tyrannosaur, so the fight might not go the way it goes with T-Rex and other tyrannosaurs. If thr teeth of Moros are similar to those of a T-rex, it makes sense that Moros could have a strong bite force, but at this size it would more likely need to be fast, rather than strong. I think that the fight could go either way, and maybe the claws of Deinonychus could work in it's favor. For now I'll favor Deinonychus.
[Image: 1200px-Cryolophosaurus_skeleton_mount_FMNH.jpg]