Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
African (Cape) Buffalo (herd of 4)
0%
0 0%
African Bush Elephant (cow)
100.00%
5 100.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
African (Cape) Buffalo (herd of 4) v African Bush Elephant (cow)
African (Cape) Buffalo (herd of 4) - Syncerus caffer
The African buffalo, affalo, nyati, Mbogo or Cape buffalo (Syncerus caffer) is a large African bovine. It is not closely related to the slightly larger wild Asian water buffalo, but its ancestry remains unclear. Owing to its unpredictable nature which makes it highly dangerous to humans, it has not been domesticated, unlike its Asian counterpart, the domestic Asian water buffalo. The Cape buffalo is a very robust species. Its shoulder height can range from 1 to 1.7 m (3.3 to 5.6 ft) and its head-and-body length can range from 1.7 to 3.4 m (5.6 to 11 ft). The tail can range from 70 to 110 cm (28 to 43 in) long. Savannah type buffaloes weigh 500 to 910 kg (1,100 to 2,000 lb), with males, normally larger than females, reaching the upper weight range. A record-sized savannah-type male weighed 1,000 kg (2,200 lb). Forest type buffaloes, at 250 to 455 kg (550 to 1,000 lb), are only half that size. Its head is carried low, its top located below the backline. The front hooves of the buffalo are wider than the rear, which is associated with the need to support the weight of the front part of the body, which is more powerful than the back.

[Image: Male-African-buffalo-in-dust.jpg]

African Bush Elephant (cow) - Loxodonta africana
African elephants are the heaviest land animal, and the second tallest in the Animal Kingdom. They are a sexually dimorphic species; males appear larger than females. The height of a bull at his shoulder is about twelve feet (about 3.75 m), when the female’s height is nine feet (about 3 m). They have enormous ears, each measuring about four feet (120-125 cm) across. They have a unique nose that is simply a long, boneless trunk extending from the upper lip. The trunk usually measures about five feet long (about 150 cm) and weighs around 300 pounds (about 135 kg). The two finger-like projections on the tip are so dexterous they can pick a blade of grass. The trunk itself is so strong it is capable of lifting 600 pounds (250- 275 kg). Their incisor teeth develop into tusks about 8 feet long (245-250 cm) and can weigh about 130 pounds (60 kg) each. The only other teeth they have are four molars which are replaced three times throughout their lives after the previous set wears down. African elephants have dark gray skin which is scattered with black hairs that wear off through the years. As a result the adults are mostly hairless. Their skin is about 2 1/2 inches (2-4 cm) thick, but flies, mosquitoes and parasites still penetrate it. Female African Bush Elephants are much smaller, than males reaching 5.4 to 6.9 metres (17.7 to 22.6 ft) in length, 2.7 metres (8.9 ft) in height at the shoulder, and weighing 3 t (6,600 lb).

[Image: Female-and-young-African-elephant-walking.jpg]

(03-14-2019, 11:46 PM)Lightning Wrote: African bush elephant cow vs 4 African cape buffalo bulls
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
I think the female elephant will win. Her massive size + tusks + trunk means she can kill a buffalo very easily by tossing him through the air and trampling him when he falls to the ground or by goring him.

See how quickly and easily this female elephant killed a male buffalo that was bothering her calf:

https://youtu.be/0Hwi3_2sCeQ

The other buffaloes may attack the elephant as she is attacking one of them but I think the elephant is large and durable enough to take several stabs and gores from buffalo horns without being seriously injured.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lightning's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
I back the elephant too, but it could depend entirely on the size and shape of her tusks
(03-15-2019, 11:02 PM)ScottishWildcat Wrote: I back the elephant too, but it could depend entirely on the size and shape of her tusks

But even without tusks, she can still kill them by tossing them through the air with her trunk and trampling them when they fall to the ground.
4 dead buffalos...
(03-15-2019, 11:05 PM)Lightning Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 11:02 PM)ScottishWildcat Wrote: I back the elephant too, but it could depend entirely on the size and shape of her tusks

But even without tusks, she can still kill them by tossing them through the air with her trunk and trampling them when they fall to the ground.

Yeah, it just might take a bit longer. I don’t think the buffalos could kill her in that time tbh
Elephant easy wins. Mismatch. White rhino vs African Bush Elephant (cow) (normal fight).

I did not notice "herd of 4". But that doesn't change anything.
Elephant too easily.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvrzjqcLyE2x1TQvejwfq...4IDvD2d3Tt]
OldMan
Here are some interesting interactions between the two species:

[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]