Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Coyote
42.86%
3 42.86%
African Civet
57.14%
4 57.14%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coyote v African Civet
Coyote - Canis latrans
The coyote (Canis latrans), also known as the American jackal or the prairie wolf, is a species of canine found throughout North and Central America, ranging from Panama in the south, north through Mexico, the United States and Canada. It occurs as far north as Alaska and all but the northernmost portions of Canada. The color of the coyote's pelt varies from grayish-brown to yellowish-gray on the upper parts, while the throat and belly tend to have a buff or white color. The forelegs, sides of the head, muzzle and paws are reddish-brown. The back has tawny-colored underfur and long, black-tipped guard hairs that form a black dorsal stripe and a dark cross on the shoulder area. The black-tipped tail has a scent gland located on its dorsal base. Coyotes shed once a year, beginning in May with light hair loss, ending in July after heavy shedding. The ears are proportionately large in relation to the head, while the feet are relatively small in relation to the rest of the body. Certain experts have noted the shape of a domestic dog's brain case is closer to the coyote's in shape than that of a wolf's. Mountain-dwelling coyotes tend to be dark-furred, while desert coyotes tend to be more light brown in color. Coyotes typically grow to 30–34 in (76–86 cm) in length, not counting a tail of 12–16 in (30–41 cm), stand about 23–26 in (58–66 cm) at the shoulder and, on average, weigh from 15–46 lb (6.8–21 kg). Northern coyotes are typically larger than southern subspecies, with the largest coyotes on record weighing 74.75 pounds (33.91 kg) and measuring 1.75 m (5.7 ft) in total length.

[Image: Adult-coyote.jpg]

African Civet - Civettictis civetta
The African Civet (Civettictis civetta) is the largest representative of the African Viverridae. It is the sole member of its genus. African Civets can be found from coast to coast across sub-Saharan Africa. They are primarily nocturnal and spend the day sleeping in dense vegetation. During the night, when they are the most active, they can be found in a wide variety of habitat consisting of thick forest to open country. The African Civet is a solitary mammal that is easily recognizable by its unique coloration; the black and white stripes and blotches covering the coarse pelage of the animal are extremely variable and allow it to be cryptic. The black bands surrounding the African Civet’s eyes closely resemble those to the raccoon. Other distinguishing features of the African Civet are its disproportionately large hindquarters and its erectile dorsal crest. The African Civet is an omnivorous generalist, taking small vertebrates, invertebrates, eggs, carrion, and vegetable matter. It is capable of taking on poisonous invertebrates (such as the millipedes most other species avoid) and snakes. Prey is primarily detected by smell and sound rather than by sight. Weight can range from 7 to 20 kg (15 to 44 lb), with an average mass of about 12.5 kg (28 lb). Head-and-body length is 67 to 84 cm (26 to 33 in), while the tail is 34 to 47 cm (13 to 19 in) and shoulder height averages 40 cm (16 in). Civettictis civetta is a stocky animal with a long body and appears short-legged for its size although its hind limbs are noticeably larger and more powerful.

[Image: Adult-African-civet-standing-in-small-cl...y-view.jpg]

(03-15-2019, 08:22 AM)Ferox Wrote: African Civet vs Coyote
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
I favour the civet here. I'll explain why only if someone debates me.
^ that’s kinda not how it works but ok.
Their weight ranges are similar except for max weights but the coyote is leaner being taller than the civet. Grappling, usually the go to for canids losing a fight, isn’t a way for the civet to win since this species doesn’t exhibit such abilities during fights.
It would be nice if you can supply evidence of interactions between the civet and jackals in it area even though coyotes are larger and more powerful. Both have decent skills but I think the coyote should have the edge since it has performed well against carnivorans in its size and area except for the wolverine and bobcat/lynx. Also it takes larger prey than the civet.
The night is dark and full of terrors
(03-16-2019, 03:26 AM)HoundMaster Wrote: ^ that’s kinda not how it works but ok.
Their weight ranges are similar except for max weights but the coyote is leaner being taller than the civet. Grappling, usually the go to for canids losing a fight, isn’t a way for the civet to win since this species doesn’t exhibit such abilities during fights.
It would be nice if you can supply evidence of interactions between the civet and jackals in it area even though coyotes are larger and more powerful. Both have decent skills but I think the coyote should have the edge since it has performed well against carnivorans in its size and area except for the wolverine and bobcat/lynx. Also it takes larger prey than the civet.

Quote:Their weight ranges are similar except for max weights but the coyote is leaner being taller than the civet.

That's abit irrational to bring up a argument like that.
How is that relevant to the fight?

Quote:Grappling, usually the go to for canids losing a fight, isn’t a way for the civet to win since this species doesn’t exhibit such abilities during fights.

Well, the civet can grapple at a extent, greater than that is made by canids, but not to the extent of felids and ursids.
Can you name me those 'disanvantadges'?

Quote:It would be nice if you can supply evidence of interactions between the civet and jackals in it area even though coyotes are larger and more powerful.

I'll try and find sources.

Quote:Both have decent skills but I think the coyote should have the edge since it has performed well against carnivorans in its size and area except for the wolverine and bobcat/lynx.

No, there are no similarly sized symparitic predators in North America, of which the coyote dominates except the those you mentioned.
I see a dead coyote..
More stockier or robust limbs usually means greater strength applied through those limbs, easier to pull things.
Didn’t state it to be a disadvantage but mentioned it to prevent it from being used as an advantage when such high level of grappling is absent in this species. Most animals can grapple to an extant even coyotes. The grappling is more likely on pare with canids.
Coyotes dominate American badger where they are sympatric and usually the same or similar size, western United States. You’re right can’t think of many more.
^ how is the coyote dead if it grows larger than the civet and takes larger prey.
Quote:That's abit irrational to bring up a argument like that.
How is that relevant to the fight?
I died a bit inside. Most if not all things have pros and cons and thus does visual size as well.
I don't see coyotes dominating american badgers at parity at all.....follow them around and take advantage of the badgers digging abilities to flush game they can easily run down, yes, but unless they have a decent size or numbers advantage I'm quite certain they steer clear of confrontation with one. I do see a coyote being more robust and strong than a jackal, not to mention a good bit bigger. I would pick it over a civet, who, although tough and strong, doesn't have the defense of a badger, nor the powerful jaws.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brogan's post:
  • Razorbacklion, ScottishWildcat
Both have been know to eat each other’s young but coyotes more often than not attack more adult badgers than visa versa. Even though I agree with you for coyote winning the civet is stronger than you think there is a report of one attacking and chasing off a honey badger, known to be very tenacious and ferocious, away from carrion with relative ease.
(03-16-2019, 02:17 AM)Ferox Wrote: I favour the civet here. I'll explain why only if someone debates me.

What is that about, some kind of passive-aggressive perversion?

Anyway, as fascinating as the Civet is, it is not impressive fighter or hunter. It only preys on small animals (rodents, insects, snakes), and does not grapple.
Civets rely entirely on the jaws to capture preys [...], grabbing and throwing the prey to one side with a quick head jerk, and finally delivering the death-shake. Fights between Civets are ritualized bites without grappling, and, unlike Genets, they have too little movement of wrists and ankles to clasp and restrain each other during wrestling or fighting. (source: The Behavior Guide to African Mammals)

I really don't know how it can win against a predator of the same size like a Coyote.
^ the civet has beaten a honey badger over food but I think loses to coyote ferox’s Second request is a better matchup I think.
The civet wins as its more durable.
[Image: bzvulture_max-br_1.png]
OldMan
[-] The following 1 user Likes OldGreenVulture's post:
  • Razorbacklion
coyotes are very cute looking dogs they don't have great bite strength for dogs their size compared to other dogs but they aren't cute when they fight alpha male coyotes will fight to the death and they are very fierce

but Christ , in one on one a western coyote cannot even beat a common male -raccoon , unless the coyote is a alpha male coyote or leader of the pack
coyotes have only been around" for one million years ", that isnt a long time, considering most animals even for a mammal not a long time .. they will be on this earth for much longer than that but their one on one fighting skills are laughable unless its a alpha male I have seen them fight and their one on one fights are pretty brutal ( it loos worse than a dog - cage fight) .. they( coyotes) will continue to be on this earth for longer because they hunt in packs , live off scraps , they do not mate with local dogs , they stay true to the pack ...
coyote has a one out of ten shot at winning this fight .. if its alpha male its a 2 out 10 shot
(03-17-2019, 04:16 PM)Razorbacklion Wrote: coyotes are very cute looking dogs they don't have great bite strength for dogs their size compared to other dogs but they aren't cute when they fight alpha male coyotes will fight to the death and they are very fierce

but Christ , in one on one a western coyote cannot even beat a common male -raccoon , unless the coyote is a alpha male coyote or leader of the pack

coyotes have only been around for one million years , that isnt a long time for most animals .. they will be on this earth for much longer than that but their one on one fighting skills are laughable .. they will continue to be on this earth for longer because they hunt in packs , live off scraps , they do not mate with local dogs , they stay true to the pack
coyote has a one out of ten shot at winning this fight .. if its alpha male its a 2 out 10 shot

You only talked about the Coyote (I won't even touch the debatable stuff you said, and how you write), saying that it can't kill a Civet. Okay, fine. Now tell me how the Civet is going to kill a Coyote 8 times \10.
watch the video without the sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZyuge0SDKo&t=68s