Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones (final series)
Game of Thrones.

[Image: s8-trailer-1920.jpg]

Who's excited? Any predictions?
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
If Brienne dies we riot
I am hoping for a shock ending that no one can predict? Evil triumphs over good or an ending that no one is happy with eg. Cersei Lannister remains on the iron throne and executes John Snow & The Mother of Dragons in the last episode.

It would be a bit cliched if Jhn Snow & Daenerys triumphs and live 'happily ever after'!
I don't think the ending will necessarily be 'happy,' but I think 'good' will eventually win out. Certain characters are definitely dead due to the amount of buildup they've had: Cersei, Jaimie, The Hound, Arya, The Mountain, Grey Worm, etc.

Either Jon or Daenerys has to die imo. And since Jon already died once...things aren't looking great for the dragon queen

Either that or the White Walkers sweep through and kill everyone as one big global warming metaphor
Just watched the second episode - te battle is about to begin. (shame it looks like it will be at night). Cant wait for episode 3.

Bit awkward watching Arya Stark lose her virginity! Confused
^ Agreed about Arya, I just remember that little tomboy looking teenage girl from season 1. Lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes 221extra's post:
  • Taipan
We need a surprise like the old days eg. totally out of the blue the Mounbtain goes crazy and chops Cersei in half. Rolleyes
I don't think the final few twists will be anything too shocking to be honest. Ever since the show diverged from the books the writing took a noticeable hit in the quality department. If anyone does kill Cersei though, I'm almost sure it will be Jaimie (and not Arya wearing Jaimie's face as some have speculated, that's a bit cheap)

Quote:
ScottishWildcat Wrote: Wrote:Yeah he almost certainly would have, but even in that state he could’ve beaten just about every other man in the Kingdoms (with a few notable exceptions). The Hound loses in that case because it’s just another fight to him, Brienne wins because she’s fighting for her life

They are friends now. Bets are (from the experts) that Brienne of Tarth wont survive episode 3.

Nah my bets are that Brienne survives this one (Podrick is toast though), we were promised by her actress that she gets explored more as a character (specifically, "as a woman") in the final season which we haven't really had yet, and there's still that love-triangle with Jaimie and Tormund to wrap up. If she does survive though, she's the Queen with Jaimie the King
Once she was Knighted and also played a role in saving Jamie Lannister, I felt they were building up the emotion prior to her downfall. Or Jamie Lannister will die defending her in battle (remember he volunteered to serve under her).
Another possibility is that she will die in defence of Jamie against Bron, who appears to have been paid offf to assassinate the Lannister Brothers.

Anyway, we will know better in less than 24 hours. (Excited!! Smile  )
(04-14-2019, 09:25 PM)Taipan Wrote: I am hoping for a shock ending that no one can predict? Evil triumphs over good or an ending that no one is happy with eg. Cersei Lannister remains on the iron throne and executes John Snow & The Mother of Dragons in the last episode.

It would be a bit cliched if Jhn Snow & Daenerys triumphs and live 'happily ever after'!

i hope for such ending too.
But i predict a pseudo-shocking end.  For sure a woman on the throne (GOT already goes the feminist way).
Say goodbye to:
  • All the Dothraki
  • Ed Tollett
  • Lyanna and Jorah Mormont
  • Theon
  • Beric Dondarrion
  • Melisandre
  • The Night King
  • And … the White Walkers
Excellent episode! I'm assuming two Dragons still survive, even though only one was shown at end?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Taipan's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
^Dont forget Ghost. The Direwolves have always been criminally underused by the show, but I guess they’ve got to save that CGI budget for the dragon fight

I really didn’t like that the Night King and all the White Walkers went down in this episode, and weren’t the final ‘boss’ like they’re supposed to be. The whole point of the series is that the petty squabbles of the houses over one Iron Chair mean nothing compared to the great threat to all of mankind, to brush that aside in one episode and be like “Okay let’s go kill Cersei now and get the throne or whatever.” is completely against what the show (or more accurately, the books) is about

One the same note, to make the Night King into a tropey, one-dimensionsal villain who’s evil for evil’s sake goes completely against the entire premise of the series. Subverting fantasy tropes is the whole point of the books (the fair maiden gets beaten and abused, the Prince is a sadistic coward, the handsome conquering King gets murdered, the scarred knight is a good man on the inside), so turning the Night King into something from Lord of the Rings whose entire goal is just “destroy” completely ruins that

Having Arya kill him was so lazy and fanservicey as well. How did she get past the white walkers? Why is she there? Why was Bran doing absolutely nothing with his warging?

I expected a lot more major characters to die, and I’m both kind of relieved and dissapointed it didn’t happen. The final episodes are coming, and they need to whittle down that cast. Gendry, Grey Worm, Tormund, Podrick, etc, should’ve bit it. I called Brienne surviving though. At least Lyanna finally did something to earn her ‘badass’ reputation

The entire episode was so dark I struggled to see half of what was going on. I guess that’s to save money on cgi, but it still makes for a tough watch.

That all seems pretty negative but I did genuinely enjoy the episode. The action was good and well-paced, the dialogue (what little of it there was) was good, Dany finally having to pick up a sword, Brienne and Jaimie fighting back to back, the dragon fight, the wights bursting out of the crypt (even though putting the women and children down there was a terrible plan from the start), etc
[-] The following 1 user Likes ScottishWildcat's post:
  • Cryolophosaurus
(04-30-2019, 12:12 AM)ScottishWildcat Wrote: ^Dont forget Ghost. The Direwolves have always been criminally underused by the show, but I guess they’ve got to save that CGI budget for the dragon fight

I beleive Ghost survived (somehow), as he appears in the trailer for the next episode.
The third episode was epic, but the strategy that everybody used was ridiculous. It would be much smarter to make the trench in front of an army, not behind, and deploy infantry behind the trench. Dothraki would be a good reserve force. They'd make more sense if they charged from the flamks after the undead began the attack instead of charging forward simply to die. Maybe the strategy was that bad because they made Brienne of Tarth(who has no experience in commanding troops) and ser Davos Seaworth(who doesn't even have a proper military training) the commanders in this battle.
[Image: 1200px-Cryolophosaurus_skeleton_mount_FMNH.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cryolophosaurus's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
I don't think it's fair to pin the bad strategy on speific characters, Davos and Brienne seemed to do their job fairly well (plus they're two of my favourites so I'll obviously jump to defend them) and it was other characters that should know better who did the bulk of the planning. It's more the fault of simple bad writing and choosing spectacle over substance than it has to do with any individual character

The "tactics" really were abhorrent though. The Dothraki suicide charge and not being reserve forces, the defenders not defending from INSIDE the castle (which is the entire point of a castle), the barricades and trenches being BEHIND the footsoldiers, the dragons not just completely wasting the undead army like they definitely could've, not putting Ghost in the crypts because while he's useless in a full-on battle, he could be good at defending the non-fighters if the dead managed to breach the crypt (or y'know, if something else were to somehow happen in an enclosed area full of dead people while fighting an enemy whose primary trait is raising the dead)
[-] The following 1 user Likes ScottishWildcat's post:
  • Cryolophosaurus