Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones (final series)
(05-14-2019, 02:17 AM)K9Boy Wrote: This show is so ground breakingly good, no matter which way it would have ended their would have been complainers. Lets just sit back and enjoy it as there is only one more episode!

Agreed. It's not that they aren't liking the episodes or that the episodes are not good, it's that they are not getting the ending they wanted. We all secretly or openly had plans about how this would and should end, that were formulated watching the previous 7 seasons, and for most (including me) its not happening. 

This from season 2, a vision, Dany's visit to the Iron Throne covered in what we now know is ash.

[Image: PerkyWhirlwindAnchovy-mobile.jpg]

A clue from the past!
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
That's the thing, "formulated from the past 7 seasons." There was no build up to just about anything that happened in this episode. We've been following these characters for years, and in general the point of a story is that a character will grow or change or learn an important lesson of some kind along the way. Fans expected certain things because the groundwork for certain things has been laid so carefully for the past seven seasons and would have been satisfying resolutions of years-long character progressions. Dany snapping on a whim and deciding to massacre innocents and Jaimie embracing and protecting Cersei were not satisfying resolutions to their characters.

Like, what morals are we supposed to take from this then?
Dany: "No matter what, you will turn out like your parents, even if you never knew them and fought hard to distance yourself from that. You can't escape becoming your father."
Jaimie: "You should go back to this toxic relationship you were in for years because you know nothing else and there's no point trying to be a good person and break away from it because you are just inherently bad."
Sandor: "Instead of letting go of all that anger and hate that tormented you and made you an awful person, you should instead go and confront the source of your childhood trauma head on, even though it will certainly kill you, and have a big punching and screaming match with it."
Bran: "Idk just turn into crows to avoid all your problems or something"

Dany was always going to burn the Red Keep, it was something that was set up (^as you point out) and built towards since the very beginning, but not her turning evil in literal seconds and deciding to slaughter men, women, and children. I have no problem with that actual act itself (as funny as that sounds lol, it is Game of Thrones after all), but how she got there and made that decision made no sense.
[-] The following 2 users Like ScottishWildcat's post:
  • Canidae, Taipan
I appreciate your posts in this thread SWC!

Hopefully the motivation for her turn to the behaviour of her mad father will be revealed. Missandei's last words - "Dracarys" - (burn it all) may have been taken too literally!
(05-14-2019, 02:08 PM)ScottishWildcat Wrote: That's the thing, "formulated from the past 7 seasons." There was no build up to just about anything that happened in this episode. We've been following these characters for years, and in general the point of a story is that a character will grow or change or learn an important lesson of some kind along the way. Fans expected certain things because the groundwork for certain things has been laid so carefully for the past seven seasons and would have been satisfying resolutions of years-long character progressions. Dany snapping on a whim and deciding to massacre innocents and Jaimie embracing and protecting Cersei were not satisfying resolutions to their characters.

Like, what morals are we supposed to take from this then?
Dany: "No matter what, you will turn out like your parents, even if you never knew them and fought hard to distance yourself from that. You can't escape becoming your father."
Jaimie: "You should go back to this toxic relationship you were in for years because you know nothing else and there's no point trying to be a good person and break away from it because you are just inherently bad."
Sandor: "Instead of letting go of all that anger and hate that tormented you and made you an awful person, you should instead go and confront the source of your childhood trauma head on, even though it will certainly kill you, and have a big punching and screaming match with it."
Bran: "Idk just turn into crows to avoid all your problems or something"

Dany was always going to burn the Red Keep, it was something that was set up (^as you point out) and built towards since the very beginning, but not her turning evil in literal seconds and deciding to slaughter men, women, and children. I have no problem with that actual act itself (as funny as that sounds lol, it is Game of Thrones after all), but how she got there and made that decision made no sense.

SCW, you may find some satisfaction from the books in that case. 'The books are better than the show / film' isn't always true, but re: GoT it is. The first 4 seasons are a roughly reasonable adaptation of the first 3 books (but miss the point quite a few times) and then totally diverge afterwards.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Canidae's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
I’m currently reading Clash of Kings! Yeah the books are obviously better, but the thing withthose is that they’re never ever gonna get finished at this point
Yeah, I'm quite skeptical of that happening too unfortunately. I think GRRM will get Winds of Winter out in the next few years but there is little hope for A Dream of Spring.
Enjoy Clash of Kings though, it's a good read with the war in full swing. Pay close attention to Arya's chapters when she's serving under Roose at Harrenhal too. A Feast for Crows is the 4th and considered the slowest book in the series, you may want to look up the 'Ball of Beasts' reading guide that combines it with Dance of Dragons.
the scenes with Arya and the Hound were the stand out ones for me, always loved those 2 traveling together back in seasons 3 and 4.

and whatever anyone thinks of the Danyeres stuff, the hounds finishing chapter was great. ever since he nearly died after the fight with Brienne he has somewhat tried to find redemption for his life of murder and cruelty, and in the end even though he already knew his hatred for his brother (who was the reason he was ever cruel in the first place) had consumed him, and was leading him to certain death, he saved Arya from that same blood lusted and revengeful life.
 [Image: 75TiAZC.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes K9Boy's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
Well less than 24 hours. I have not been disappointed by series 8, and hope this last episode shocks me as much as the Red Wedding and the Bells episode did!
So I have never seen a single episode but apparently the ending was a disaster? How come?
                                                 [Image: giphy.gif]
(05-20-2019, 08:54 PM)Leopard Wrote: So I have never seen a single episode but apparently the ending was a disaster? How come?

A lot of people were happy with that episode/ending of the series. Some criticism of the earlier episodes in the final series.

I'm still coming to terms with it.

GoT was the best TV series I have ever watched. Sad it's over.
[-] The following 2 users Like Taipan's post:
  • K9Boy, ScottishWildcat
(05-20-2019, 10:26 PM)Taipan Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 08:54 PM)Leopard Wrote: So I have never seen a single episode but apparently the ending was a disaster? How come?

A lot of people were happy with that episode/ending of the series. Some criticism of the earlier episodes in the final series.

I'm still coming to terms with it.

GoT was the best TV series I have ever watched. Sad it's over.

Breaking Bad is the best TV series ever made imo.
                                                 [Image: giphy.gif]
I think that most of GoT fans have already seen the finale, so perhaps I can write a little spoiler. I feel too bad about Daenerys as a character. She wasn't that bad in action before the final two episodes, and Sansa saying that Dany will be the bad queen sounded a bit weird and made me dislike Sansa, not Dany. In the final two episodes the creators just decided to make her a villain and kill her without that much logic. That's what in my opinion was bad.
[Image: 1200px-Cryolophosaurus_skeleton_mount_FMNH.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cryolophosaurus's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
Yeah I didn’t...hate the finale. I mean there were parts of it I hated, but most of that was because of what had came before it. Closer to the time I had a whole point-by-point summary of my thoughts on it but I care less now:

-That one shot with Dany having dragon wings was the best thing in this entire season
-It’s dumb that Drogon burned the iron throne. I get that dragons are smart but I didn’t think they were smart on the level of understanding symbols of the corruption of power
-Jon Snow, who as established, knows nothing, must’ve gone out of that throne room with no witnesses and confessed to murdering Dany himself. Okay sure I guess it’s in character
-The show doesn’t seem to understand that the burning of the Iron Throne MEANS the dismantling of the feudal system of Westeros. You can’t do that then just slap a King on top at the end anyway. Sam’s idea of democracy was the right one
-They should’ve just killed Tyrion and Jon on the spot but whatever. Tyrion’s new system is gonna cause more wars than it prevented
-Love how they just shoved all those nameless lords and ladies in at the end. Season 1-4 we would’ve known all their names and motivations and stuff but nah laugh at democracy
-It’s very gross what they did to Dany. A liberator empowered warrior queen who was all about freeing slaves and being just to the smallfolk who goes mad on the turn of a dime and has to be put down like a rabid dog. You can tell men wrote that
-Is...no one gonna tell Grey Worm that the island they’re sailing to is home to poisonous butterflies that kill any non-natives within the hour? No...? A’ight
-What happened to the Dothraki? Where are they? Why do they keep multiplying and shrinking? Does the show care? No. Do I? Not particularly
-Queen Sansa is cool and all but the North is definitely gonna starve to the death within the month. It was a whole plot point (well, one sentence) that they don’t have enough food
-They should’ve just assassinated Bronn. He’s unqualified for his new job and probably corrupt. Sam doesn’t know a thing about maester-ing either
-I like Brienne. I didn’t like what they did with her and Jaimie but it was nice that she was big (no pun intended) enough to write in his book. It’s kind of an insult that she didn’t then start on her own page though. Her whole story she’s been in service to another, it would be nice to see her be loyal to herself for once. Also she should’ve still been guarding Sansa
-King Bran was poorly handled even though that’s probably the direction of the books. I do think it’s kind of cool in the sense that “this ancient being possessed the body of this little body and took every action and inaction necessary to seat itself on the throne” but the show doesn’t really lean into that
-Why is the Night’s Watch still a thing? What are they watching for?

Overall, okay episode. Bad season. Good show. Groundbreakingly great first couple of seasons. Better books

(Huh...maybe I did have the energy for a point by point stream of consciousness rant)