Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Giant Devil (Goonch) Catfish
66.67%
2 66.67%
West Indian Ocean Coelacanth
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giant Devil (Goonch) Catfish v West Indian Ocean Coelacanth
Giant Devil (Goonch) Catfish - Bagarius yarrelli
Bagarius yarrelli, known as the giant devil catfish or goonch is a very large species of catfish in genus Bagarius found in rivers in South Asia. It is possibly also found in Southeast Asia, but this may involve a separate species. It is found in large rivers, including rivers with fast current, but never in small streams. It is found in South Asia. There are also populations in Southeast Asia (as far south as Sumatra and Borneo), but this may involve a separate species. This fish reaches up to 2 m (6.6 ft) in length, and weigh over 200 pounds. It may be largest species in the genus. 

[Image: 800px-Bagarius_yarrelli.jpg]

West Indian Ocean Coelacanth - Latimeria chalumnae
The West Indian Ocean coelacanth (Latimeria chalumnae), sometimes known as gombessa, African coelacanth, or simply coelacanth, is one of two extant species of coelacanth, a rare order of vertebrates more closely related to lungfish, reptiles and mammals than to the common ray-finned fishes. It has a vivid blue pigment, and is the better known of the two extant species. The species has been assessed as critically endangered on the IUCN Red List. The average weight of Latimeria chalumnae is 80 kg (176 lb), and they can reach up to 2 m (6.5 ft) in length. Adult females are slightly larger than males. L. chalumnae is widely but very sparsely distributed around the rim of the western Indian Ocean, from South Africa northward along the east African coast to Kenya, the Comoros and Madagascar, seemingly occurring in small colonies.

[Image: 640px-Latimeria_chalumnae_replica.jpg]

(04-14-2019, 11:00 PM)Uncia Wrote: west indian ocean coelacanth vs bagarius yarrelli
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
I don't know too much about both fish but I believe it is going to be a close fight between the two since they are about the same length and probably weight. Females seem to be larger than males when it comes to predatory fish generally. Uncia, which fish so yo vote for?
[Image: bzvulture_max-br_1.png]
OldMan
They'd probably both die, but the catfish would win the fight. It has the bigger head and far bigger mouth. The Coelacanth has decent teeth, but they are used for holding on to prey-sized fish of 5-15lbs or so, they aren't going to harm a 200lb catfish much. While the catfish doesn't prey on anything huge itself, it's incredibly strong from living in some super-fast flowing rivers, has incredible mouth strength (as most catfish do, for crushing prey in its mouth), and is one of the few catfish species that is more predatory than scavenger (has teeth, preys on live fish, etc). Like a Flathead catfish in the US, but bigger, faster, and even more predatory. The Coelacanth, being an oversized lungfish type, is anything but quick in the water, and although no catfish is a speed demon, it should be quick enough to get an initial attack off and get the Coelacanth's head into it's mouth. That would eventually kill the Coelacanth, but the catfish would most likely die later on for trying to swallow such a big meal.
I say catfish 60/40.

Has larger head and mouth.
Both fishes are almost similar in size, i dont think they are capable to kill each other, both are tough and their weapons are low. I would give edge to goonch i saw him live its a fearless fish in his territory.
[Image: t70ok8.jpg]