Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injuries?
What's the worst injury you have suffered, and how did it happen?
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
Accidentally put my leg through a window when I was about 5. It took over 100 stitches in my leg to close the wounds. Lost a good amount of blood. Still have noticeable scars 35 years later. That was the worst, but certainly not the only major injury I had growing up. I was a wild child.
A pine needle fell. The eagle saw it. The deer heard it. The bear smelled it
[-] The following 1 user Likes theGrackle's post:
  • Taipan
Some of the worst I remember are things like falling and getting lots of bloody scraps and scratches on pavement (while running), having a fish hook caught in my foot (from the beach), or getting hit by a car door on the head (where I still have a shallow dent-like scar where I was hit). Never broke a bone, got a deep laceration, or the likes.

Not too long after I got braces right before the second half of high school, I developed this weird, hard lump on my left lower jaw, in front of the masseter muscle. I wasn't sure what it was or how I got it (I suspected something about my braces, but correlation=/=causation), only that it hurt somewhat when I tried massaging it (I massaged it because a few people thought it was tensed up jaw muscle that I needed to massage, which I never really bought because then I should have noticed decreased muscle mass where my masseter should be). One day nine months later (although I could have sworn it felt like over a year, and maybe I got this earlier than I'm imagining right now), the lump got bigger and more painful. The bottom of the gums between my cheek and my jaw actually rose up inside my mouth, and a few people noticed. And that night I found out what it really was...a small wound opened up in the bottom of the gums that had risen and a lot of blood, pus, and other weird gunk drained out of the wound. Luckily by the end of it the lump was much smaller, and all I needed were antibiotics the next day. I think now I must have gotten a small cut in my mouth, which subsequently got infected and resulted in the lump. An injury that small and unnoticable caused that. Yeah...
[Image: 9wf8nho.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ausar's post:
  • Taipan
Was walking in a rush and my left toe hit a metal object on the floor. The toenail cracked in two. Lost some blood and the toenail took a month or two to grow back to normal. Happened slightly over a year ago. When I was a child, I used to fall off my bicycle a lot and sometimes bruise my knees.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lightning's post:
  • Taipan
I was in a car accident. I broke both bones in one leg, one wrist and fractured a back vertabrae. Lucky they all healed well. A few cuts and abrasions too! It was a painful 6 months after!
^ Ouch!

What manner of fractures did you suffer, T-man, if you wouldn't mind sharing?

I've had a few bone fractures, (& smashed mobile joints with cartilage damage are a real bugger, I can attest),
& for me, only a depressed occipital skull-fracture was worse, eventual outcome-wise.
(06-21-2019, 05:50 PM)Mondas Wrote: ^ Ouch!

What manner of fractures did you suffer, T-man, if you wouldn't mind sharing?

I've had a few bone fractures, (& smashed mobile joints with cartilage damage are a real bugger, I can attest),
& for me, only a depressed occipital skull-fracture was worse, eventual outcome-wise.

Colles's fracture of wrist : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colles%27_fracture

The leg had a metal rod inserted from knee to ankle for 12 months, which was later removed.
^ Yeah, Ta for that.

Commiserations, I can empathise, knowingly.

I had a similar wrist injury to my right arm, from a footy incident - which healed well too,
but later in a road injury crash, I seriously fragmented my left wrist joint, needing a pair of plates
(& a tendon re-section), along with fractures to radius ( neeeding a plate too) & ulna at elbow
(plus an elbow dislocation which disrupted the synovial joint there too, with a golf ball-sized lump
forming from the leaking fluid) so I ended up having 4 bloody GI ops (metal in, metal out, X 2) to put 'em right...
I have an injured back due to lifting stuff too heavy for me which left unable to work for a while. My back is healing and I am looking for work.
(06-21-2019, 06:46 PM)OldGreenVulture Wrote: I have an injured back due to lifting stuff too heavy for me which left unable to work for a while. My back is healing and I am looking for work.

Best of luck for your recovery and finding new work OGV!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Taipan's post:
  • OldGreenVulture
I fell and hit my head on the concrete staircase. This was my childhood.
(06-24-2019, 03:12 AM)Forbiddenip Wrote: I fell and hit my head on the concrete staircase. This was my childhood.

this...explains so much
[Image: APVwP9.gif]
I currently have 3 injuries I am recovering from. All of them are on the left side of my body.

1. My dogs got into a fight, and I stepped in between to break it up. My bulldog sank three teeth in my calf. It sucked. 

2. I sliced my thumb open cleaning a kitchen knife. Took 6 stitches to close it up. It sucked.

3. Accidentally kick a table leg barefoot, and broke a toe. It sucked.
A pine needle fell. The eagle saw it. The deer heard it. The bear smelled it
[-] The following 1 user Likes theGrackle's post:
  • Shenzi
I have had many haha, especially dislocarme and a pneumothorax, but the worst was when I was sitting on my grandfather's bike (while he was driving) and a bee tried to bite me, desperate to get it out, put my feet in the ray of the bicycle and I pulled a piece of skin bigger than my big toe, I suffered a lot hahaha, I was 8 years old.

(06-24-2019, 03:28 AM)theGrackle Wrote: I currently have 3 injuries I am recovering from. All of them are on the left side of my body.

1. My dogs got into a fight, and I stepped in between to break it up. My bulldog sank three teeth in my calf. It sucked. 

2. I sliced my thumb open cleaning a kitchen knife. Took 6 stitches to close it up. It sucked.

3. Accidentally kick a table leg barefoot, and broke a toe. It sucked.

The third is the worst of all
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shenzi's post:
  • theGrackle
(06-24-2019, 03:18 AM)Shin Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 03:12 AM)Forbiddenip Wrote: I fell and hit my head on the concrete staircase. This was my childhood.

this...explains so much

Your post was very predictable. Thereby your mental activity has not gone far away from me.