Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Most Overrated and Underrated Animals
Question 
DinosaurMichael Wrote:What do you guys think are the most Overrated and Underrated animals in your opinion and why?

Most Overrated Animals:
Tyrannosaurus Rex: Because many T-Rex fanboys think it is the biggest killer that can kill anything and thinks nothing can beat it.
Liopleurodon: Because of BBC's Walking with Dinosaurs. Many to this day still believes Liopleurodon is a 75 foot long Pliosaur and 150 tons, when in real life it was only really 23 feet long and 2.2 tons.
Tiger: Lot's believes that it could kill any size Brown Bear even large males. Though they don't realize we do not have proof that Tigers have killed large male Brown Bears. Also because many Tiger Fanboys thinks it could beat the Lion, when I think it would be 50/50.

Other animals that I think are overrated: Other Big Cats, Orcas, and much more.

Most Underrated Animals:
Gorilla: I feel people underestimates them. Gorillas are pretty strong and I think they are very good at fighting back against other animals.
Spinosaurus: After lot of thinking about Spinosaurus. I have to agree it is very underrated. Probably because of those T-Rex Fanboys who got really angry about the fight between it and T-Rex in Jurassic Park.
Wolf: Why I think they are underrated is because some think that a Wolf would lose to other animals due to lacking the ability to grapple, but I feel the Wolf is still a very strong animal and it doesn't need a grappling ability to win.

Other animals that I think are underrated: Horses, Spotted Hyenas, and much more.
[Image: wildcat10-CougarHuntingDeer.jpg]
As titled above, which Animals you tend find it's extremely overrated?

Here is my list....

1: Insects

Many people says Insects are lbs-to-lbs the strongest creatures. Like Ants or Beetles the size of Humans would lift a Tank off ground, or Fleas can jump a height of over 300m. Yet ignores Square Cube Law that an Human-sized Ant would likely get crushed from their own weight.

2: Great Apes

I've met people saying Chimps are stronger than 7 World-class Weightlifters combined toguether, can overpower a 400kg Saltie with 0.1% the strength of their pinkies and kill them by gouging their face, castrating and remove their Spine Chords by ripping off their body.

Plus Gorillas can one-arm pick a 250kg boulder off ground and hurl it with extreme speed and accuracy to bring down a Jet Fighter flying at Mach 2....

3: Green Anacondas

Extreme size overestimation(200kg Anaconda.... WTF)

What is your guys list?
[-] The following 2 users Like 50L1D's post:
  • Ferox, K9Bite
Here's my list:

1. Big Cats/pussylovers abilities: Big Cats certainly have their merits and their reputation is based on true feats. It's easy for me to understand why people choose members of panthera as their favorite animals. What happans with popularity though is overestimating a animal's ability. For example, every large feline vs pack of canids post claims the cat can easily swipe all oncoming attacks, killing a canid in a single slashing and bone crushing swipe. In reality, it goes down more or less like this:
https://youtu.be/QIFhyMvLgHo

2. Wolves/Wolfaboos: I'm attacking both sides of the story. Wolfaboos are some of the most stubborn and butt hurt people I've met. Thankfully, I don't see them here in the forum though I'm sure there's been plenty in the past. People who claim there's plenty of evidence of wolves killing Mountain Lions one on one (there isn't) and apply their bizarre furry values onto their "spirit animal". Not saying wolves are weak, seeing how there is even a debate if a Wolf can take on a big cat as large as a Mountain Lion. But some of these claims can really overrate a wolf's abilities. Especially the one shot kill skull bite. I doubt it happans often. 

3. Domestic dogs/pitbulls: Game bred pitbulls are a extra tough, hard working canid and have many feats to support their reputation. I actually back them up in a lot of interspefic confrontations but there was this one thread where a user claimed there is evidence pitbulls could bite up to 2700psi. That's more than a god damn hyena if I'm not mistaken. He said he could prove it but behold, he never responded much after that. If that's not overstatement, idk what is. 

4. Megaldon, Spinosaurus, T.Rex.....etc. You know the fanboys and you know how they argue. I don't think I need to explain why I put them on the list lol.
[Image: vlcsnap-2012-09-28-10h48m06s205.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like K9Bite's post:
  • 50L1D, Ferox, theGrackle
Bears in general are very overrated. Big cats and wolves too.

All animals have their fanbases and those fanbases overrate their favorite animal. Really any animals can be overrated.
[Image: D17E0792.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like CanineCanis's post:
  • 50L1D, Ferox, K9Bite
(09-06-2018, 04:09 AM)K9Bite Wrote: Here's my list:

1. Big Cats/pussylovers abilities: Big Cats certainly have their merits and their reputation is based on true feats. It's easy for me to understand why people choose members of panthera as their favorite animals. What happans with popularity though is overestimating a animal's ability. For example, every large feline vs pack of canids post claims the cat can easily swipe all oncoming attacks, killing a canid in a single slashing and bone crushing swipe. In reality, it goes down more or less like this:
https://youtu.be/QIFhyMvLgHo

funny, you take this as an example for a wild dog domination. For me this is an example for a feline domination.  Not only were the wild dogs unable to hurt the lioness, but the lioness nearly killed a wild dog.
Change the lioness with a male lion, who isn't concerned about the safety of a kidden, and we even will see a  greater cat domination.

And in "one month" we have a discussion about packs of wild dogs/dholes who killed tigers/lions again.

i interpret the video the other way around
They clearly did put the hurt on her considering she squatted down taking the bites the same way hyenas do when being attacked. Funny how clearly she isn't killing dogs with a single swipe, instead trying her best to gain control of the situation in the flurry of bites surrounding her, making it hard to target a specific animal. It's expected at least one dog will get critically injured, how can that not happan in such a great difference in size. I never claimed this was dog domination, but too many cat fans seem to think cats are on top of every situation like they are in the movies. Swiping aside incoming dogs like moths coming directly at a fly swatter. As for the male lion part, i agree with you there..The size difference between dogs and a male lions is too great. Most African carnivores can not challenge a male lion directly. But leopards and cheetahs are known to flee from wild dog packs and there's been instances where leopards have been killed. I interpret the video the other way around too.
[Image: vlcsnap-2012-09-28-10h48m06s205.png]
inb4 big cat fans.

(09-06-2018, 04:09 AM)K9Bite Wrote: 4. Megaldon, Spinosaurus, T.Rex.....etc. You know the fanboys and you know how they argue. I don't think I need to explain why I put them on the list lol.

The amount of misinformation they often use is saddening and just goes to show how ignorant the populace is of these animals. But oh my god Megalodon has got to be the worst considering that while it was definitely a big fish, it was not a movie monster of a kajiu like so many want it to be.

Quote:Pimiento and Balk did a study on the body-size trends of megalodon. They reached a statistical maximum size of 17.9 meters, or 58.7 feet (Pimiento & Balk 2015). It's important to note this is a statistical maximum size, so ones over 18 m could have existed.

According to Dr. Mike Siversson, the largest tooth he measured came from a 19 m or 62 foot megalodon (Siversson, 2012).

Finally, according to Gottfried et al. in the 1996 paper, he uses data from a HUGE Great White from Malta and uses the Great White / megalodon tooth ratio and comes up with 20.2 m, or 66 feet for the maximum size of a megalodon.

So, it appears the largest of the megalodons, were probably over 60 feet in length, perhaps closer to the 65 foot mark.

Average Sizes:

Pimiento and Balk also found the average (mean) size of megalodons. They were around 10 m or 33 feet in length (Pimiento and Balk, 2015).

Gottfried et al., 1996 lists the sizes of megaldons in different life stages from Newborns (Neonates), Juveniles, to Adults. In Pimiento and Balk (2015), they reiterate the sizes, and give the following information:
- Neonates reach sizes up to 4 m (13 feet)
- Juveniles range from 4 to 10 m (33 feet)
- Adults range from 10 m and up (33 feet and up)
[Image: ltiZ2aC.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Maxilla's post:
  • 50L1D, K9Bite
When people say "That particular animal is overrated" it makes me feel even more biased for them.  Cool6
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ferox's post:
  • K9Bite
For me it would it be would constrictor snakes and peccaries, perhaps also ora since people tends to think it will get the first bite in most occasions.

Also:
Quote:2. Wolves/Wolfaboos: I'm attacking both sides of the story. Wolfaboos are some of the most stubborn and butt hurt people I've met. Thankfully, I don't see them here in the forum though I'm sure there's been plenty in the past. People who claim there's plenty of evidence of wolves killing Mountain Lions one on one (there isn't) and apply their bizarre furry values onto their "spirit animal". Not saying wolves are weak, seeing how there is even a debate if a Wolf can take on a big cat as large as a Mountain Lion. But some of these claims can really overrate a wolf's abilities. Especially the one shot kill skull bite. I doubt it happans often.

When it comes to none canid fanboys however, most canines tend to be underestimated from having a habit of avoiding disputes for carcasses, since a injury can be a death sentence in the long term for a cursorial predator that's adapted for long chases rather than the reason being that they are beaten to a pulp or members getting killed by a larger predator. 

Despite that there has been accounts of grey wolves winning most disputes in dens even killing larger carnivorans such black bears, cougars and grizzly bears.

While canine fanboys tend to make it seem as lone wolves has the same physical capabilities of a predator of similiar size, such as cougar despite having a very different body plan, I say grey wolves shine best when it comes to numbers, meneuverility and speed thanks to their stamina and strategy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aztec's post:
  • K9Bite
(09-06-2018, 04:47 AM)K9Bite Wrote: They clearly did put the hurt on her considering she squatted down taking the bites the same way hyenas do when being attacked. Funny how clearly she isn't killing dogs with a single swipe, instead trying her best to gain control of the situation in the flurry of bites surrounding her, making it hard to target a specific animal. It's expected at least one dog will get critically injured, how can that not happan in such a great difference in size. I never claimed this was dog domination, but too many cat fans seem to think cats are on top of every situation like they are in the movies. Swiping aside incoming dogs like moths coming directly at a fly swatter. As for the male lion part, i agree with you there..The size difference between dogs and a male lions is too great. Most African carnivores can not challenge a male lion directly. But leopards and cheetahs are known to flee from wild dog packs and there's been instances where leopards have been killed. I interpret the video the other way around too.

I only saw a boar that killed three dogs. I'm sure that fangs of a wild boar can do it.
1. Gorillas- While they are quite strong, I have seen many ridiculous claims about them being able to rip off Lion or Tiger limbs. In reality, they are more evenly matched or even prey item for smaller Leopards.

2. The Formidable Dog breeds- This can include hunting or LGD types. They may be good at their jobs, but a lone dog is still easy prey for other wild carnivores.

3. Crocodiles- This is to a smaller extent, especially on land. Crocodiles are great ambush predators of the waterways, but people still believe that they are just as equally formidable on land as they are in water.

P.S.- Should this be changed to 'Overrated and Underrated' Animals like the previous forum, or will the underrated be used for a different thread.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ApexBoy's post:
  • K9Bite
B I G C A T S .
(09-06-2018, 04:47 AM)Maxilla Wrote: inb4 big cat fans.

(09-06-2018, 04:09 AM)K9Bite Wrote: 4. Megaldon, Spinosaurus, T.Rex.....etc. You know the fanboys and you know how they argue. I don't think I need to explain why I put them on the list lol.

The amount of misinformation they often use is saddening and just goes to show how ignorant the populace is of these animals. But oh my god Megalodon has got to be the worst considering that while it was definitely a big fish, it was not a movie monster of a kajiu like so many want it to be.

Quote:Pimiento and Balk did a study on the body-size trends of megalodon. They reached a statistical maximum size of 17.9 meters, or 58.7 feet (Pimiento & Balk 2015). It's important to note this is a statistical maximum size, so ones over 18 m could have existed.

According to Dr. Mike Siversson, the largest tooth he measured came from a 19 m or 62 foot megalodon (Siversson, 2012).

Finally, according to Gottfried et al. in the 1996 paper, he uses data from a HUGE Great White from Malta and uses the Great White / megalodon tooth ratio and comes up with 20.2 m, or 66 feet for the maximum size of a megalodon.

So, it appears the largest of the megalodons, were probably over 60 feet in length, perhaps closer to the 65 foot mark.

Average Sizes:

Pimiento and Balk also found the average (mean) size of megalodons. They were around 10 m or 33 feet in length (Pimiento and Balk, 2015).

Gottfried et al., 1996 lists the sizes of megaldons in different life stages from Newborns (Neonates), Juveniles, to Adults. In Pimiento and Balk (2015), they reiterate the sizes, and give the following information:
- Neonates reach sizes up to 4 m (13 feet)
- Juveniles range from 4 to 10 m (33 feet)
- Adults range from 10 m and up (33 feet and up)

Pimiento's sample for adults in that paper included subadults IIRC. One person who posted this on the previous forum even pointed this out, and he was far from a O. megalodon fanboy.

Hopefully I can find some elaboration on this later when I get the time.
[Image: 9wf8nho.png]
All animal groups have fanbois, so I am going to mention specific misconceptions or just bad excuses.

1: Felines.
I have met people who believes a Scottish Wildcat or a domestic cat is a scaled down Tiger or Jaguar, because why wouldn't they be? Along with that wretched myth of "strongest pound for pound" which varies from weight class to weight class. I tend to favor Canids, the more we go down in weight.

2: Wolves.
I don't know how much of an aimbot Wolves have in terms of skull bite, but a lot of Wolfaboos has this fantasy world of a large 200 pound, fluffy, beautiful, majestic and utterly amazing and highly intelligent Wolves. And they win due to exactly this reason.

3: Bears.
Misunderstood size and Hulk Paw Smash!

4: Domestic dogs, Livestock Guardian dogs and bully breeds mostly. But they too are underrated.
The Pitbull is a good fighter, it really is (tho you could make a few things better here and there, like giving it a Staffy Skull) but this gameness thing is overrated. It makes the dog more willing to fight, which is important, but it does not gain any extra armor from it. Likewise, Pitbull fans are sometimes very dull with the "evidence" they provide.
LGDs for the same reason, more hype than bite.

5: Chimps and Gorillas. Basically just their strength.

Quote: 2. The Formidable Dog breeds- This can include hunting or LGD types. They may be good at their jobs, but a lone dog is still easy prey for other wild carnivores.
This is a good example of underration without context. Domestic or not, if you cannot describe why said animal can beat the other in terms of anatomy and weaponry, then "domestic" like dogs just becomes a title under the assumption of it being inferior. Domestic gave it the said anatomy, but you must describe it whether it is a Diary Cow or a Fighting Bull. Besides, "easy" is an overstatement, since we have cases like the random loose Pitbull that managed to draw blood on a larger Wolf likely having superior experience and condition before it died to a bite somewhere around or near the head.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ryo's post:
  • K9Bite
Gorilla's, people think they can lift 2 tons and take on apex predators like lions, tigers and bears. Some people also think they fight like king kong and rip the jaws of animals.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neofelis's post:
  • 50L1D