Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Most Overrated and Underrated Animals
(11-10-2018, 09:15 AM)ImperialPuma Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 03:57 AM)Shin Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 09:35 AM)ImperialPuma Wrote: Big cats are definitely overrated. People act like they are the best fighters among Carnivora 

but...they are the best fighters; what creature is consistently beating
them @ parity?
Bears. A sun bear will beat an Indochinese leopard. A grizzly bear will beat a tiger.

Brown bears very rarely, almost never beat tigers at parity.

Big cats are incredible fighters pound for pound, that is undeniable.
[Image: TR23sAq.jpg?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vodmeister's post:
  • Ferox
"Brown bears very rarely, almost never beat tigers at parity."

We need experimental data to prove your claim.

Lack of precision and accuracy is common in Russian scientific and hunting literature about b.bear&p.t.altaica relations.

If you remember
M. Krechmar's opinion - 150-200 kg bear will be defeated by a tiger of the same size.This is true because subadult male b.bear can easy fall in this weight class.

I completely agree with Mr.Krechmar.200+kg both mature and
healthy male.The bear have the upper hand IMHO.

"The M. Krechmar's opinion - 150-200 kg bear will be defeated by a tiger of the similar size, however, starting from 200+ kg (the size of an adult male) the brown bear basically becomes a winner even if the tiger is of the close size. "
I think another kind of animal that is a bit overrated might be the killer whale. Sure, they are smart. Sure, they hunt great whites. But they are not the indestructible oceanic forces many think them to be.
Mmm, chocolate cake
I think another very underrated animal is the muskox. They are a lot more formidable than what many think after hearing 1 was killed by a lone wolf.
Mmm, chocolate cake
[-] The following 1 user Likes ChocolateCake123's post:
  • ScottishWildcat
Crocodile, especially when compared to Great White Sharks. 

They are seen as almighty and can beat any shark (check youtube comments, as well as various forum posts).

People forget that most of the shark kills are either significantly smaller sharks or juvenile/subadult bullsharks.

Not to mention Brutus, the infamous croc photographed killing the Bullsharks, lost his arm to one of them. 

Of course everyone refers to Crocs killing small sharks to prove they can beat a Great White or Tiger without accounting for the shark's speed and maneuverability in deep water.

Let's not forget, Great White sharks actually have been documented to kill adult American crocodiles, which are still fairly large:

Quote: Wrote:However, Great White Sharks (Carcharodon carcharias) prey upon adult C. acutus in Colombia (Medem,1981)

source: Somaweera et al. 2013. The Role of Predation in Shaping Crocodilian Natural History Herpetological Monographs 27(27):23–51

^This should mean that the sharks will be smart enough to tackle large crocs while avoiding any serious injury.

At least the Great White Shark/Saltwater Crocodile battle should be closer to a 50/50 rather than the reptile being the completely unrivaled victor.
(11-11-2018, 12:24 AM)Warsaw Wrote: "Brown bears very rarely, almost never beat tigers at parity."

We need experimental data to prove your claim.

Lack of precision and accuracy is common in Russian  scientific and hunting literature about b.bear&p.t.altaica relations.

If you remember
M. Krechmar's opinion - 150-200 kg bear will be defeated by a tiger of the same size.This is true because subadult male b.bear can easy fall in this weight class.

I completely agree with Mr.Krechmar.200+kg both mature and
healthy male.The bear have the upper hand IMHO.

"The M. Krechmar's opinion - 150-200 kg bear will be defeated by a tiger of the similar size, however, starting from 200+ kg (the size of an adult male) the brown bear basically becomes a winner even if the tiger is of the close size. "

We do not care about someone's fucking opinion. 

You simply have to deny evidence which are against bears only because you know thats true.
I said this referring to Carnotaurus, but abelisaurids in general are extremely underrated theropods. People are calling their build and bite weak when in reality, their short, stocky skulls and ''speedy'' builds were a very effective build for speed and power. They would be able to quickly run up to a prey item then deliver an immense amount of power with their powerful bite, and they may even have been superior to tyrannosaurs at parity!
Mmm, chocolate cake
Something else I think is underestimated sometimes is pack numbers. I am running out of time, so I will elaborate later on
Mmm, chocolate cake
We do not care about someone's fucking opinion.

You simply have to deny evidence which are against bears only because you know thats true.

I don’t care about your emotionally charged opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warsaw's post:
  • Ryo
(Yesterday, 12:07 AM)Warsaw Wrote: We do not care about someone's fucking opinion.

I don’t care about your emotionallly charged opinion.
The only reason why you are inferring that i am emotionally charged is that you control your own thoughts wether someone is wrong or right. Both of us have the right to show our "fucking" emotions.
Another animal I think is underrated are wolves, because many people assume they become far weaker when not in a pack
Mmm, chocolate cake
[-] The following 2 users Like ChocolateCake123's post:
  • CanineCanis, theGrackle
Time to elaborate on pack numbers being underestimated:
I think numbers are sometimes underestimated because they aren't usually thought to attack while 1 of them is being attacked. Take Lion vs 6 Wolves, for example. Many favored the lion, but I favor the wolves there. If the lion goes for 1 wolf, the other 5 would attack and do major damage, likely immobilizing the lion somewhat. There is a good chance the lion may not even catch the 1st wolf, and then all 6 can attack the half-immobilized lion until they win.
Mmm, chocolate cake